Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I bet that youtube feels an absoloute Pube after telling me Everton were going to stamp in us 4-0 lmfao.

I think I will now gladly throw it back at him.

Thx Deano, doing a fabulous job.

Edited by Dave-R

When's the last time we had a manager so prepared to play on the front foot? Even the good times under MON we were more of a counter attacking side, the fact he's Villa through and through makes it even better. Can enjoy being a Villa fan once again.

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The thing I really like about Dean Smith is he clearly doesn't have a Starting 11 and a Reserve Squad.

Well he should do. Whelan...over McGinn...in the derby!?!?!?!

Can't believe he is still in a bloody job!!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The thing I really like about Dean Smith is he clearly doesn't have a Starting 11 and a Reserve Squad.

He seems to keep the whole squad on board and motivated. I'm confident that Targett, Konsa, Hause, etc. will all have important roles to play this season.

It makes such a change from MON, who just left players to rot on the bench, or the Bomb Squad years.

That's why we got big performances from Guilbert, Jota and El Ghazi tonight. It's the sign of a really top man manager to be able to keep players firing at 100% when they're not starting.

Yep, he’s an excellent manager of people. Playing players on merit encourages competition for places. Playing players on reputation does not. 

Hourihane at defensive mid and our two fullbacks are a case in point. The new boys had to earn their place in the side to replace the players who got us promoted. They didn’t get an automatic start on day one just because they were the new fancy names in the squad. 

It makes everyone double their efforts, new players and old. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Love you Dean!  So glad we got that first win off our backs.  He and Suso have done some remarkable business this summer.

Agreed. When you are bringing in 12 players (many of whom have never played in the PL) the law of averages suggest you are going to sign a couple of duds. And whilst we are yet to see Nakamba and Targget, so far all of our signings looks like they are going to be good players for the club. 

Apart from the kid from Swansea who was only a short term loan anyway, the recruitment since Smith came in has been very good indeed. 

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He seems to keep the whole squad on board and motivated. I'm confident that Targett, Konsa, Hause, etc. will all have important roles to play this season.

It makes such a change from MON, who just left players to rot on the bench, or the Bomb Squad years.

That's why we got big performances from Guilbert, Jota and El Ghazi tonight. It's the sign of a really top man manager to be able to keep players firing at 100% when they're not starting.

Not sure I agree here, I think we'll see a well established starting 11 and others filling gaps around injuries. Cant see hause getting a game, hourihane will be used mainly from the bench. Wesley will pretty much play every week

24 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

The best bit is, this team isn't even 'settled' yet. We're only going to get better!!! 

We could have been on 5/7 points. 

In Dean we trust. 

Not just the 'settled' but the age too.  Like I said previously in another topic, the core of this squad will have sustainability for at least 5 seasons.  Two season's time, that starting 11 will be top half easily IMO.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And you can't say that about Newcastle and Palace. Gives me some hope

I remember hearing a quote a few years ago relating the England rugby team after they won the World Cup in 2003 and then went shit for a few years. 'A drowning man bobs up 3 times before drowning.'  It happened to us and it is happening to these two now.  Wouldn't be surprised to see either of them go down.

Edited by New_Hope

Â