Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I agree, the winger thing isn't happening, mainly I think because players like Ghazi don't get the crosses in fast enough. our wingers hold the ball up to the point the opposition is firmly defensively regrouped and ready to deal with the cross and today showed that.

If we're to use one striker, then we need midfielders and more of them, they can always drift out wider but at least we won't be struggling as much to press the ball and attack. We really do waste most of our crosses that go into the box, they either go right over or hit opposition heads. Trezegeut is an expetionally fast player, it needs to be utilised better and he has to make the right runs early enough so he can pick that speed up, some i think are right where at the moment his end product does let him down.

We need more players behind Wesley feeding him or people will start blaming him and it's not fair on Wesley.

I wonder if Smith will drop the wingers, though there's nothing wrong with utilising our existing wingers and placing them behind Wesley on his flanks then having them drift out wide with the ball, Wesley does need more support behind him.

Today is just one of those days that we knew we'd be having, I hold no blame on anyone, we do however have to move forward and find a solution to what happened today and I'm sure there's a few solutions we can deploy if Smith decides to change it.

Agreed. I think Trez and Jota would both be better more centrally, and unfortunately El Ghazi hasn't started the season very well, so it wouldn't be a huge loss to lose the wingers and add extra numbers in midfield. Nakamba and Luiz could sit which would allow others to get up in support of Wesley, I really do think that sort of formation would get the best out of what we have. 

The only slight problem is that sort of formation relies on attacking fullbacks which isn't really Taylor's Forte. 

1 minute ago, New_Hope said:

It wouldn't have worked as we were getting overran as it was....Zaha was always their get out man...putting on an extra striker meant that they had to adjust their team to nullify the threat...so fair play. 

Just a shame that every bounce or ricochet of a ball goes to the other team.  Happened against Spurs for goal 2 and Ayew was very lucky with that ricochet!

Doesn't really make much sense, putting someone like El Ghazi on the left with a view to protect the fullback would have helped combat Zaha's influence.

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Doesn't really make much sense, putting someone like El Ghazi on the left with a view to protect the fullback would have helped combat Zaha's influence.

And it would have continued the same. Putting 2 strikers on meant Wes had close support and also meant that they had to keep men back to cover it! Makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

Our wide options are very poor, I like Jota but he lacks the pace you want in a out and out winger and I think would have more success centrally. Be interested if he does experiment with a winger-less formation, like a diamond or 3 at the back.

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Our wide options are very poor, I like Jota but he lacks the pace you want in a out and out winger and I think would have more success centrally. Be interested if he does experiment with a winger-less formation, like a diamond or 3 at the back.

Or 2 holding midfielders in some games with jack playing a free role behind Wesley ?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

With wingers looking poor would 3 at the back be worth a look?

Both Gilbert and Targett will get forward and can cross. We can also have 2 forwards playing.

With someone like nakamba available I’d prefer 2 holding  midfielders rather than a back 3 .

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

With someone like nakamba available I’d prefer 2 holding  midfielders rather than a back 3 .

Agree totally . We look smaller and weaker than the teams we face. Playing a central 2 would strengthen the central area of the pitch. Play McGinn with grealish and trez either side (more like inside right / left) this would stop Jack coming so deep as well. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And play 2 attacking mids central behind wes?

Luiz and nakamba holding , Grealish  just off Wesley and McGinn and Hourihane Or trezeguet/ jota behind  him , pushing the full backs forward more with the 2 holding midfielders  so a 4231 in Effect - basically Grealish in a free role .

Edited by Eastie

Think the criticism of Smith's tactics is a strange one. Criticisms I've heard today

Didn't sub those on yellow cards - surely the players you'd leave on would be the attackers and sub the defenders who are more likely to foul and get booked 

Didn't respond in 2nd half. I think that adding an attacker ( davis) to hold up the ball was the right call it didn't work but there you go. I think he did something similar against rotherham and we won.

The one thing I would criticise Smith for is leaving wes so isolated. The shape I think is wrong, I don't think two wingers is working. 

We lost today .  But they only had 5 shots on target  scored one. We played poorly but had a goal disallowed and by all accounts the ref. Was awful. 

Theres a fine line between success and failure in football  today we fell short. It doesn't always have to be because of deep underlying problems. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he should have took off Trez earlier but fair play for his Davis and Lansbury change. It should have earned us a point.

This. Although we weren't good, we were still robbed of a draw by a piss poor ref.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

With wingers looking poor would 3 at the back be worth a look?

Both Gilbert and Targett will get forward and can cross. We can also have 2 forwards playing.

Was thinking the same thing  , can do away with the pointless DM role and play 2 up top ... win win 

Move Grealish to the flank, he isn't effective in his current position anyway atm. And our wingers have not impressed as of yet.

This would allow us to have Hourihane on who offers set piece quality that we lack along with assists and goals that we also lack.

When fit Marvelous can also compete for this spot.

Not ideal having Grealish on the flank, but he's playing too deep now anyway so...

If it doesn't work then it doesn't work. But it means less of a change than swapping formation.

Â