Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, villalad21 said:

Smith is inept to change a game when we are struggling.

Good coach, atrocious tactician.

You can't say that at all, we came into the game more in second half and as I've said in Jacks thread he should of been awarded a penalty or Lansbury goal stood.

Technically with one man down we had come back yet the dodgy ref screwed us, what can you even do against that kind of behaviour, absoloute nothing I'm afraid.

Today was a very bad showing. We didn't look motivated and were bereft of energy and desire, we didn't play any sort of football until the last 5 minutes where Palace naturally dropped off to protect the lead.

I wasn't a big fan of the introduction of Davis for Jota in the second half. It was a high risk move that didn't really benefit us, we should have been looking to protect a point and thus should have brought someone like El Ghazi on to play wide and do a job protecting the fullback. Instead we were left defensively exposed and caught out on the break for their goal.

The problem with today was that there were absolutely no positives to take from it, yes we were robbed at the end but that was a putrid display throughout, we simply have to do better.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's seriously papering over the cracks. You do realize that?

What so you don't think that the ref catered to palace and that bar should of looked at that at the end, no way did Jack just drip himself on the floor and Lansbury had scored for Christ sake.

Sure we hadn't played to what we could of but when the refs working against you, you are basically the losing side anyway. Not all decisions shouldn't of been given a yellow, yet palace got away with murder.

There's plentry of learning to do from our guys, they better do it quick but i wouldnt say its papering over the cracks when were playing established premier clubs, especially one who had recently beaten Man utd.

The ref cost us that point and it's down to no one else but that ref.

6 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Think he needed another striker in the window, I know he wanted one but obviously it never happened in the end. Need Kodjia involved up top tbh.

We need more than a striker, we lack attacking quality in midfield, has to be addressed.

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Today was a very bad showing. We didn't look motivated and were bereft of energy and desire, we didn't play any sort of football until the last 5 minutes where Palace naturally dropped off to protect the lead.

I wasn't a big fan of the introduction of Davis for Jota in the second half. It was a high risk move that didn't really benefit us, we should have been looking to protect a point and thus should have brought someone like El Ghazi on to play wide and do a job protecting the fullback. Instead we were left defensively exposed and caught out on the break for their goal.

The problem with today was that there were absolutely no positives to take from it, yes we were robbed at the end but that was a putrid display throughout, we simply have to do better.

I’d say the positive is that although we were very poor, and had ten men for 20 minutes or so, against one of 2019s form teams, we were only denied a point by a disgraceful decision.

My view is that many teams will produce many performances their fans think are poor. If we put a run of poor performances together I might worry.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You do realise that the change was made 5 minutes after we we’re a goal down? I thought it was actually a brave decision and one we would normally shy away from, Davis was great when he came on, and although it was a poor overall performance we nearly snatched a point and Dean can’t be blamed for players making individual errors. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We need more than a striker, we lack attacking quality in midfield, has to be addressed.

I said in another thread that personally I'd put Jack out on the left, and have Nakamba + McGinn in front of Luiz. Jack would be more dangerous out wide and Nakamba would be better at breaking up play IMO.

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Huge error sending trezeguet back out. On a booking and playing awful

Trez deserved that but not sure he was any more likely than the other 3 booked players, especially given how biased the ref was - I expect better from a player already on a yellow though, that second yellow was terrible. 

I see it differently.

I think we have too many attacking players on the pitch, resulting in each of them having to rein themselves in.

Id rather have fewer, but give them freer rein.

I wouldn’t mind a Christmas Tree with CH, MN, and DL behind Jack and Mcginn, or similar, but I’m sure Deano knows what’s what better than me !

6 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

You do realise that the change was made 5 minutes after we we’re a goal down? I thought it was actually a brave decision and one we would normally shy away from, Davis was great when he came on, and although it was a poor overall performance we nearly snatched a point and Dean can’t be blamed for players making individual errors. 

You do realise that you're utterly incorrect right? The change was made in the 59th minute, they scored in the 73rd minute. So what on earth are you talking about?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

against one of 2019s form teams, we were only denied a point by a disgraceful decision.

**** me that’s a reach! 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Trez deserved that but not sure he was any more likely than the other 3 booked players, especially given how biased the ref was - I expect better from a player already on a yellow though, that second yellow was terrible. 

Zaha sort of bought it really and it was naive of Trez to leave his foot in.  However, the lack of cards to similar challenges by that twunt was very confusing.  He protected the Palace players more than ours and gave them a free hand in the challenges!

• Thanks 1

The ref played a huge part today. Constantly giving free-kicks to the opposition breaking up play with niggly free-kicks is going to affect our play. 

Regardless of overall performance we have been robbed of a battling draw. A draw which builds confidence and character. The premier league is about character. Performance doesn’t matter this early as our players are adapting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You do realise that you're utterly incorrect right? The change was made in the 59th minute, they scored in the 73rd minute. What on earth are you talking about it?

I’m sorry I stand corrected, I meant the sending off, I mean it was a brave decision to bring on a striker and it probably confused Hodgson, they were all over us anyway and was only a matter of time until they scored. But your right the goal was after the sun. Sorry. Which is more than we will get from Kevin friend.

Â