Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

Zaha sort of bought it really and it was naive of Trez to leave his foot in.  However, the lack of cards to similar challenges by that twunt was very confusing.  He protected the Palace players more than ours and gave them a free hand in the challenges!

I agree - the ref was on something - very bad day for him. 

Just now, Hobbit Feet said:

I’m sorry I stand corrected, I meant the sending off, I mean it was a brave decision to bring on a striker and it probably confused Hodgson, they were all over us anyway and was only a matter of time until they scored. But your right the goal was after the sun. Sorry. Which is more than we will get from Kevin friend.

We should have looked to protect the point rather than take a risk like we did, it was naive. 

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The ref played a huge part today. Constantly giving free-kicks to the opposition breaking up play with niggly free-kicks is going to affect our play. 

Regardless of overall performance we have been robbed of a battling draw. A draw which builds confidence and character. The premier league is about character. Performance doesn’t matter this early as our players are adapting.

Agree totally with you.

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith is inept to change a game when we are struggling.

Good coach, atrocious tactician.

Probably describes every manager out there.

I imagine the number of instances where a manager has been able to turn around a wretched performance is far far outweighed by those where anything tried hasnt worked.

Sometimes the players just arent on it.

We needed a top top  draw winger in the window. Trezouget just runs hard but has no end product to what I see. and I'm not just saying this as he got red carded. Look at the match thread I said something before half time.

We should of gone all out for Andros townsend. he doesn't even get in the palace first 11 can cross drbble and decent work rate.

Gazi and Jota are passengers for most of the game. Gazi I can see coming good maybe after 50 prem games but we need quaLITY delivery right now this season.

Will have to question Smith a bit today. Personally thought the subs were not good at all and probably should've made one at half time, I said in the match thread that Friend was desperate to hand out a red and well he done exactly that.

Just an all round terrible day. Really need a big bounce back after the international break because while it's very early days, 3 defeats out of 4 isn't good. 

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith is inept to change a game when we are struggling.

Good coach, atrocious tactician.

Bought on El-Ghazi who scored to make the points safe against everton. Good tactical change there. He is learning too as he has never coached managed in the big league.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We should have looked to protect the point rather than take a risk like we did, it was naive. 

Not in my opinion. We never looked likely to hold on for a point, if anything we needed the ball to stick up top more too absorb some pressure away from our back line. Either way we was poor today and ultimately got what we deserved out of the game.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I thought we were dealing with them quite well. They got a bit of a luck for the goal whilst we had a goal disallowed wrongly. We were poor today but I think we did enough to earn a point away from home.

• Like 1

Smith suprised many by bringing on Davies. This would have been hailed as a tactical master stroke if Villa had taken 1 point or 3.

However by pushing Villa up the pitch more to avoid an iranian seige situation it gave palace the green light to do what they love to...counter attack.

there was no danger when ayew had the ball. mings and grealish surrounded him they should have swept up.

Edited by screwdriver

12 minutes ago, jim said:

**** me that’s a reach! 

Is it ?

Since December 15 th they’ve Played 29 times before today.

Won 15, Lost 9....and 5 of those defeats were against the Top 6. 

Theyve beaten Man United, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs,

They aren’t great, but their overall Form In 2019 has been good.

My point, in full, being that in addition to them being good, we were poor, and only had 10 men for 20 minutes, yet still came within a whisker of a point.

As usual, those who prefer to see the negatives can do so...there are enough there, and likewise those who don’t.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Is it ?

My point, in full, being that in addition to them being good, we were poor, and only had 10 men for 20 minutes, yet still came within a whisker of a point.

As usual, those who prefer to see the negatives can do so...there are enough there, and likewise those who don’t.

Only City and Liverpool have got more points in 2019. 

If anything I would say Palace are probably the best team out of all of relegation rivals and the most likely not to go down. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only City and Liverpool have got more points in 2019. 

If anything I would say City are probably the best team out of all of relegation rivals and the most likely not to go down. 

I agree Man City aren’t likely to go down 😂😂.....but seriously, I know you meant Palace, and I agree.

• Haha 1

We need to get people closer to Wesley. The only way of doing that is by losing a winger. 

______________Heaton

Guilbert___Mings___Engels____Taylor

__________Nakamba____Luiz

_______________McGinn_________

__________Trez______Grealish________

________________Wesley________

30 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Is it ?

I read somewhere that only Man City and Liverpool have more points than Palace in 2019. So you’re right, we were competitive on a poor form day, when nothing went for us against a form team away from home. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

We need to get people closer to Wesley. The only way of doing that is by losing a winger. 

______________Heaton

Guilbert___Mings___Engels____Taylor

__________Nakamba____Luiz

_______________McGinn_________

__________Trez______Grealish________

________________Wesley________

I agree, the winger thing isn't happening, mainly I think because players like Ghazi don't get the crosses in fast enough. our wingers hold the ball up to the point the opposition is firmly defensively regrouped and ready to deal with the cross and today showed that.

If we're to use one striker, then we need midfielders and more of them, they can always drift out wider but at least we won't be struggling as much to press the ball and attack. We really do waste most of our crosses that go into the box, they either go right over or hit opposition heads. Trezegeut is an expetionally fast player, it needs to be utilised better and he has to make the right runs early enough so he can pick that speed up, some i think are right where at the moment his end product does let him down.

We need more players behind Wesley feeding him or people will start blaming him and it's not fair on Wesley.

I wonder if Smith will drop the wingers, though there's nothing wrong with utilising our existing wingers and placing them behind Wesley on his flanks then having them drift out wide with the ball, Wesley does need more support behind him.

Today is just one of those days that we knew we'd be having, I hold no blame on anyone, we do however have to move forward and find a solution to what happened today and I'm sure there's a few solutions we can deploy if Smith decides to change it.

Heaton

Guilbert             Engles           Mings          Targett

Nakamba

Luiz                McGinn

Hourihane

Grealish

Wesley        

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It wouldn't have worked as we were getting overran as it was....Zaha was always their get out man...putting on an extra striker meant that they had to adjust their team to nullify the threat...so fair play. 

Just a shame that every bounce or ricochet of a ball goes to the other team.  Happened against Spurs for goal 2 and Ayew was very lucky with that ricochet!

Â