Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

Not just the 'settled' but the age too.  Like I said previously in another topic, the core of this squad will have sustainability for at least 5 seasons.  Two season's time, that starting 11 will be top half easily IMO.

If in 2 seasons time we are still in the PL we will add to the further. Exciting times

Just now, av1 said:

If in 2 seasons time we are still in the PL we will add to the further. Exciting times

Indeed we will but that starting 11 last night will grow with 2 seasons extra experience and maturity.  To me that is very reassuring knowing the backbone of the squad will be good enough to survive year after year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Football goes and comes in cycles. Just feels like it's our time now. It's a togetherness and belief around the club i haven't felt for years and years.

Definitely this! I feel everything is right for us to really push on and put our name back in the echelons of football.  

Not getting carried away with last night's result at all.  I know we will have some great ups and depressing downs and I will still take 17th now if someone offered it! 

But I definitely think this feels so different to the other 'false dawns' we've had!  

We have business men dealing with the business and bringing in the maximum £££ 

And football men dealing with the football bringing in the right players at the right price and coaching them a system and philosophy that makes them better and is good on the eye too!

I mean both our goals last night were pure quality! The intelligent runs, the accurately weighted passes and the finishes. If Ci£eh or plop had scored those, the press would be creaming their pants about it!

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 1

Nitpicking here a bit but I though the subs were a bit too late and once again I find it strange we didn't utilize all 3 we had available to us.

Then again who cares :D 

3 points baby!

Starting Jota and Guilbert was a masterstroke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Nitpicking here a bit but I though the subs were a bit too late and once again I find it strange we didn't utilize all 3 we had available to us.

Then again who cares :D 

3 points baby!

Starting Jota and Guilbert was a masterstroke.

I agree in a way, but then who would you have taken off? Wesley was loving it out. Jack and John we’re still pressing. Luis was holding dm well and I wouldn’t alter the defence.

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

I agree in a way, but then who would you have taken off? Wesley was loving it out. Jack and John we’re still pressing. Luis was holding dm well and I wouldn’t alter the defence.

Perhaps Jack for Hourihane towards the end.

Not sure about the Bournemouth game as we played well towards the end, fresh legs might have changes our fortunes thou.

No biggie thou.

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Not sure I agree here, I think we'll see a well established starting 11 and others filling gaps around injuries. Cant see hause getting a game, hourihane will be used mainly from the bench. Wesley will pretty much play every week

Of course there are a few players who through the consistent quality of their performances (or a lack of alternatives in their position) start whenever they're available. But if they start underperforming, Smith will always leave the window open to anyone else in the squad.

I was contrasting with the MON and Lambert years, where we often had decent players getting no game time at all, and MON's favourites would start regardless of how they performed. It didn't just damage player development, it also hit their resale value and the first 11 often looked burnt out by February.

I think we'll have a core of Heaton, Mings, Engels, Grealish, McGinn, Wesley but the remaining 5 spots are up for grabs throughout the season. And with the exception of Wesley, all of that core are replaceable if form / suspension / injuries get in the way.

• Like 1

i just totted it up, Man Utd have spent roughly 1 Billion in transfer fees alone in the past 8 years,

Let that sink in........1 BILLION english pounds.

How do you spend that and still not be very good??

And people think we have spent big :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 2

Sorry to wang on, but he's been here 10 months, 12th in the championship when he took over, and now back in the prem full of potential. What other manager has had such an effect? Yes he's been backed, but his and his team's 'choices' have made the difference. We really should worry about losing him, if he wasn't a fan himself. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The funny thing is I half expected us to lose to a very good Everton side on paper.

But I also tried telling myself that if we did it was fine and we would get some points eventually.

I was hopeful for a point and would have been ecstatic for a win.

I was desperate for 3 points though as I wanted that winless monkey off our back and the pressure and questions that came with it.

I was as excited as I was relieved at the win, i can't imagine how excited AND relieved the players were :)

I know in my head that the win isn't the be all and end all, but my heart tells me it was important for both the players and fans.

Also Wesley having such a storming game is a big thing also, all the questions from idiot reporters and ex players etc will be gone now.....

That was a good Everton side.....trust me.......we beat a good team.

don't let folk paint a picture that because Everton Lost to Villa it was a poor performance by them......that is absolute bollocks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Football goes and comes in cycles. Just feels like it's our time now. It's a togetherness and belief around the club i haven't felt for years and years.

I am not so sure in the context you say it.

It only comes around if you get all the criteria in the right place......and all the people competent in the right jobs

Time and cycles plays no part.....getting the right management does and it starts at the top.

He's got his selections spot on so far. And although a bit late for me each time, his substitutions have been perfect imo, I haven't disagreed with one at all.

His selections though, I was pretty livid with the selection Vs Spurs on the fullbacks. He was spot on. Not starting Jota I didn't understand but he looked out of sorts when he came on the first couple games and then earned his place and did well.

I think Deans done bloody well so far and long may it continue on selections and substitutions. Our performances have been decent and tactically adjusted to the opposition (more defensive Vs Spurs, Deanball v B'mouth, slightly longer v Everton to counter their pressing). It feels like years since we've had a manager be able to read a game and plan accordingly.

It shouldn't be a big request in a multi-million £ manager but it's been a very Long time coming for us 

Edited by HalfTimePost

Guilbert, Engels, Trezegeut, Jota, Douglas Luiz and Heaton for a combined fee of 50m, some excellent business by Deano/Suso and the recruitment team.

I think all of the above have shown that they will likely cut it at Prem level (heaton aside who already proved it).

Wesley looks good also but left him out of the above as he was 22m alone :P

Lets hop Targett, Konsa and Nakamba step up when they get their chance.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Lets hop Targett, Konsa and Nakamba step up when they get their chance.

They should all get their chance in the cup game coming up, and Davies.

Wesley was great but we need another striker, its this area that we are weak if we get any injuries or suspensions. It wouldn't surprise me if we get a loan deal done but if we don't then it's vital we sort something out in the next transfer window 

Â