Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I keep saying it but I'm sure the lack of the new fullbacks is just because of bedding in so many players.

Think about it, if we'd put the new fullbacks in straight away, plus Luiz, we'd be playing with a brand new GK, LB, CB, RB and DM. Even the one member of the defence who isn't "new" would be Tyrone Mings who is still a new permanent signing and has only been here since January.

I'd put good money on our back four being Targett, Mings, Engels and (probably) Guilbert in a few weeks. Smith is just putting the new players in gradually to ease the upheaval of having so many new players.

Guilbert is the one question mark as I haven't really seen him play so not sure of his quality

At this level, outside the top 6, almost more important than anything is having a set of players who will run through walls for their manager and go the extra mile. You get that spirit in the team and everyone buying into it you can achieve wonders.
You immediately bin off most the first 11 you are going to lose a great deal of good of good will.

It's good management. It's easy as outsiders and having no relationship with the group to just say play the "new and improved" players but office politics and all that.

The new players need to know they have to earn their spot, and those that are here retain an affinity for the gaffer and the trust and belief is maintained.

• Like 3

I've just watched the extended highlights from the official YouTube account. We dominated that game and the chances we created were better than I thought they were live. Grealish should have scored a heade and he had a shot just wide, Trezeguet had a chance he should have burried. A better player would have scored the chance Taylor had.

We had a few efforts from range, but we didn't get the benefit of a fortuitous deflection like Bournemouth did or Spurs last week.

Of course, we have ourselves to blame for missing those chances. However I would be much more worried if we didn't create anything. We played alright and we can better. 

Oh and Douglas's goal was a peach. 

• Like 1

We dominated and were unlucky with 2 mistakes and nothing at the other end :(

unlike our relegation season where we were outplayed and still got punished for our mistakes.

We will come good and Bournemouth still tried to push for another so didn't just sit back!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Either we dominated or Bournemouth decided to sit back after being 2-0 up so early.

Bit of both? But given the chances we've created I'd say it was as much us forcing them back as them choosing to. It's like us V Spurs, we didn't choose to sit back and defend, they forced us to. Obviously the difference between us and Spurs is far greater than the difference between us and Bournemouth so while they turned their good play into 3 goals, we only managed 1

But we're getting there I think, could do with getting those first points soon but we look miles better than Palace, Newcastle and Southampton already and I'm confident once we settle we'll improve, can't say the same for them so I'm still cautiously optimistic we can finish somewhere between 12th and 17th, and that must be seen as a successful season if it happens

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

As someone who was not there, what was the atmosphere like at the final whistle? 

I'm of the opinion that you should never be disgruntled when you can see the team trying to do the right things.

no boos, generally applause

• Like 1

100% of me believes in Smith as of today.

I was 60% satisfied when we first announced him but 40% unsure at the same time. That's an increase of 40% from when we appointed him to now. 

9/10 for getting us up. Even if we go down again and have to put wor boots on (Bruce, 2017) which is a high percentage chance, 100% of me would still want him as our manager. 

In conclusion, I like Dean Smith and believe he will keep us up this season. Thanks.

Smith facial gesture reference:

100%:

1134908503.jpg.0.jpg

9/10:

Dean-Smith-Aston-Villa.png?width=930&hei

60%:

PA_65377bdc-dc3b-45e1-a99a-a7c7340f747e_

40%:

brentford-v-wigan-sky-bet-championship-5

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I was 60% satisfied when we first announced him but 40% unsure at the same time. That's an increase of 40% from when we appointed him to now. 

9/10 for getting us up. Even if we go down again and have to put wor boots on (Bruce, 2017) which is a high percentage chance, 100% of me would still want him as our manager. 

In conclusion, I like Dean Smith and believe he will keep us up this season. Thanks.

100%:

1134908503.jpg.0.jpg

9/10:

60%:

40%:

Nerd ;) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Either we dominated or Bournemouth decided to sit back after being 2-0 up so early.

They slowed the game down, because they could, we inadvertently gave them licence to do that, by the 2 errors.....I suspect those early goals changed the game plan for both teams. As they tired we came more in to it.

but those errors were forced on to us, not just bad luck.....that's the bit we have to be mindful about.

On 18/08/2019 at 14:12, sheepyvillian said:

Constructive criticism is one thing, but making scapegoats of certain players is wrong.

One thing for sure with Deano, he will keep his head when all around are losing theirs. 

I don't think our issues right now are of a one player making.....The two teams that went up with us do have the advantage of having more players with playing time for their respective clubs.

We have the advantage of spending money, but our players have to settle.

we have 108 points still to play for.

Edited by TRO

46 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

100%:

1134908503.jpg.0.jpg

9/10:

60%:

40%:

Sick of all these stats and numbers ruining just a good old fashioned chat about football.

Too many people trying to out pep themselves to get a job at percentagehappinessofmanagers.com.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do think our players are playing too far apart.......you watch opposing teams and they pick up little bit and pieces off each other and create opportunities i.e Norwich, where Pukki picks up a lost ball off his team mate and scored.....that's what movement does, we are not linking or moving enough off the ball.......Spurs picking up balls off our defenders legs.....We score some great goals, but we need the little bread and butter stuff you get from smart thinking and moving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

As someone who was not there, what was the atmosphere like at the final whistle? 

I'm of the opinion that you should never be disgruntled when you can see the team trying to do the right things.

I’m in the upper Holley, there was a very small murmur of discontent and the odd boo. This immediately got overshouted by cheers of support and clapping  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Taylor hasn't been the problem, he's looked solid so far, and I've been pleasantly surprised, because I often thought he wasn't good enough for the Championship last season. Having said that, If Targett isn't going to be our first choice, what on earth are we doing spending that much on a backup leftback? 

Even when the lad gets praise it feels almost begrudgingly.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't think our issues right now are of a one player making.....The two teams that went up with us do have the advantage of having more players with playing time for their respective clubs.

We have the advantage of spending money, but our players have to settle.

we have 108 points still to play for.

Tbh, I've never noticed in any of your posts the digging out of one of our players. 

I believe you're above such nonsense. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Mentioned it in the match thread, Bournemouth's defending was heroic, the amount of blocks they put in was ridiculous. Can almost see why Ming's was surplus to requirements......almost 

Ake was brilliant all game.  I can see why he was linked with a big move away.

• Like 1

Â