Dean Smith

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Thug said:

It's all about opinions, and I totally understand where you're coming from.

I was also screaming out for O'Hare to be given a chance too, and although 1 game obviously isn't long enough to judge, he was very poor on that day.  I think this loan will do him good. 

I've also been hoping Davis will get his chance too, but Tammy is more than earning his place at present - and we've not really been in a comfortable position where we can take him off and let Davis have 20 minutes here and there.

Maybe you're suggesting a 2 up top formation? And yeah I think I'd agree it's worth a go, but Davis and Abraham too similar? Would it be those two up together?

Horses for courses, but I'd take Hutton over Elmo. Personal preference, and I respect your right to disagree.

I think thats what is frustrating for me, we have nothing to loose playing the likes of Davis and O'Hare, even Bree as he can pass a ball.  They cant be any worse than what we have on at the minute.

1 hour ago, Thug said:

The football was boring, and we were going to get nowhere this season.

I'd take "Bruce-ball" over what we've been seeing for the past 6 weeks every day of the week.

Hopefully Smith will get us back to when he first took over given time. 

• Like 2

Complete and utter shit. 

Absolutely nothing innovative in our team selection or formation, even less so during the games itself in terms of reacting to a pattern of play or what the opposition is doing. 

I'm just so glad we got rid of a 'dinosaur' and brought this tactical genius in, it's worked wonders hasn't it. 

And yes, I too got totally carried away after the middlesboro game but I think we can all safely agree that was 'new manager bounce' and nothing further. 

Sadly, all my pre-appointment fears are coming true, Smith looks out of his depth and clueless. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Thug said:

It's all about opinions, and I totally understand where you're coming from.

I was also screaming out for O'Hare to be given a chance too, and although 1 game obviously isn't long enough to judge, he was very poor on that day.  I think this loan will do him good. 

I've also been hoping Davis will get his chance too, but Tammy is more than earning his place at present - and we've not really been in a comfortable position where we can take him off and let Davis have 20 minutes here and there.

Maybe you're suggesting a 2 up top formation? And yeah I think I'd agree it's worth a go, but Davis and Abraham too similar? Would it be those two up together?

Horses for courses, but I'd take Hutton over Elmo. Personal preference, and I respect your right to disagree.

2 up front has got to be worth a try, how many times did we resort to long balls up to Tammy with no one around him

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Really - I think the poor form of Bruce caught them on the hop and they had no option but to dismiss him mid season - Smith was the best they could get at very short notice.

He has proven to be better than Henry at least ;)

• Like 1

The only thing worse than the on pitch performance is Smith's post match comments ,  going on about the Tammy foul as a blatant pen ( which is wasn't ) but forgetting the far more credible Sawyers pen is a poor effort.The officials overall were ok last night so to brand them Pathetic just seems a sign of a man struggling under the pressure  

On the pitch truth be told its what nearly a year since that Wolves win and I can count on one hand the decent games we have had since then.The 3-3 flatters us against Shef United they took as apart as this Brentford both teams cost alot less than we are putting on the pitch yet we look like a team fighting to stay in the league. Season is dangerously heading towards a slow slug to get it over with and readdress in Summer 

Dean might need more time  ( he was a big part of building the Brentford team that beat us last night ) but I'm convinced he needs to start showing improvement soon he won't get as long as Bruce did under performing.

As for the players I am not sure its them not trying ( I'd argue in McGinn case he is over trying ) they just seem incapable of the basics at the moment. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villarocker said:

West Brom will beat us and so will many others between now and the end of the season. When they do, look at the pitch and see who is to blame - not the bench! Concede the season and it'll get easier mate! 

I see what your saying chap. But they seem to be being asked to play a certain way. Hutton seems to be back playing creative winger like the Bruce says, something that I have never seen work due to Hutton not being able to cross a ball.  

It has looked better out there,  but now even the gung ho attack has gone. You cannot disagree this is conservative football, where a draw will do!

I'm not convinced it's the coaching. Smith deserves to have the chance of an off season and a rebuild of the squad.

We need to start again from the bottom up, and we need to show some patience and come out the other side a better team.

• Like 2

There have been times since Smith came is which has made me the most excited about football I've been in a long time. Sadly, we seem to have hit a rut. For me, he also gets the whole of next season just as Bruce did. 

I said this in the match thread yesterday, but my biggest disappointment with Smith so far is not playing O'Hare during this period of injury to Grealish. It's so blatently obvious we're lacking any creativity in the middle, we have no one to pick the ball up between the lines in the middle so we always really struggle to get out. Having Grealish finding space naturally gives us an out ball and allows us to sit on the ball for a bit. We're really lacking that type of player. 

This season already has the feeling that it's been written off by everyone and it's so frustrating. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I'm not convinced it's the coaching. Smith deserves to have the chance of an off season and a rebuild of the squad.

We need to start again from the bottom up, and we need to show some patience and come out the other side a better team.

I know it is frustrating but it is going to take time. Even if Smith isn't the final piece in the puzzle and can only get us so far I am still convinced he will leave us in a better position than where he found us. 

We need to lower the average age of the squad and start building something sustainable. 

Edited by Didiersix
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The only thing worse than the on pitch performance is Smith's post match comments ,  going on about the Tammy foul as a blatant pen ( which is wasn't ) but forgetting the far more credible Sawyers pen is a poor effort.The officials overall were ok last night so to brand them Pathetic just seems a sign of a man struggling under the pressure  

On the pitch truth be told its what nearly a year since that Wolves win and I can count on one hand the decent games we have had since then.The 3-3 flatters us against Shef United they took as apart as this Brentford both teams cost alot less than we are putting on the pitch yet we look like a team fighting to stay in the league. Season is dangerously heading towards a slow slug to get it over with and readdress in Summer 

Dean might need more time  ( he was a big part of building the Brentford team that beat us last night ) but I'm convinced he needs to start showing improvement soon he won't get as long as Bruce did under performing.

As for the players I am not sure its them not trying ( I'd argue in McGinn case he is over trying ) they just seem incapable of the basics at the moment. 

I agree about the comments from Smith. They were a joke. Brentfords were more. A pen than ours. I get the sheff united one and West brom but I think the ref was decent yesterday. 

Focus on how crap we have been and make us better instead of talking nonsense like this. 

24 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

2 up front has got to be worth a try, how many times did we resort to long balls up to Tammy with no one around him

If we don't start with 2 then we should have the option from the bench, Kodja doesn't work with Tammy so it seem logical to try Davies .

The worrying part for me with Smith is he doesn't seem to see how badly we look. Not sure whether he is just protecting his players, I hope.

A chance for Smith to put his stamp on the team in the summer.  Who do we actually expect to be here next season from last night's team?

Kalinic, Mings (if we can sign him), McGinn (hopefully), Green.

There will be a lot of dead wood gone in the summer: Hutton, Adomah, Elphick, Jedinak, Whelan, then hopefully we can flog the likes of Hourihane and Taylor.

I support Dean to get it right but he needs to be careful. Like Sarri at Chelsea, by chasing a certain style of play using players that are unsuited is sure fire way to go backwards as a team. I'm sure the experience with the Smith system will be valuable to the players in the current squad who are carried into next season, but the others who are nailed on to leave have no stake in this game and will likely lose interest / desire as we already seeing. Bad performances mean bad results mean impatient crowds means added pressure on the team: a downwards spiral. I hope Dean finds a system with some middle ground for the short-term at least, to get us through to the squad overhaul in the summer. Would hate to see him sacked for trying to play the game the right way (Sarri too).

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd take "Bruce-ball" over what we've been seeing for the past 6 weeks every day of the week.

Hopefully Smith will get us back to when he first took over given time. 

I never thought I would see myself say this but even Bruce didn't serve up this shit even with his Bruce-Ball.

Just a shame his excuses and stupid digs of warranted critism against him was fired back at the fans.

Smith will not get us back to anywhere as the season/our promotion hopes of play-offs look all but over now bar a miracle, and that's before Axel and Jack have returned like many feared would happen.

He has failed imo and we should look to replace him come June.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

So if he succeeds or fails he’ll be gone?? Why??

I meant when Smith finishes a season we wont have to start the team building all over again, as we had to with Bruce and his reliance on high end loans.

Â