Dean Smith

Demitri_C

In regards to Dean Smith I don’t really know what to think anymore. Don’t want to write him off but I think our current form is now the worst it’s been since we got relegated.

The pressure will only increase from here. Maybe the return of Jack can give us the boost we desperately need.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In regards to Dean Smith I don’t really know what to think anymore. Don’t want to write him off but I think our current form is now the worst it’s been since we got relegated.

The pressure will only increase from here. Maybe the return of Jack can give us the boost we desperately need.

It’s close, but I don’t it’s the worst it’s been. I can think of a couple of times which were as bad as this, arguably more so (definitely in one of the examples).

However if it carries on for the rest of the season, a couple more wins at most say, I do wonder what the club will do.

As others have said, I’m sort of looking at the rest of the season with a mindset of “Ok Dean, show us why you’re the man to take charge next season.” It hasn’t got to be regular 3-0 wins against promotion hopefuls, but something to suggest he has a plan moving forward.

• Like 1

It's not taken long for this thread to mimic the Steve Bruce page's has it?

Still way too early to judge but yet again being a Villa fan isn't fun anymore, poor results, poor performance and poor effort from player's and arguably coaching staff alike.

It is too soon to really tell whether Smith is Graham Turner mk2 or just waiting to ship out the dross, so perhaps we should let it play out this season and judge next year? We're not going to make the play-offs but neither are we ready for the Premier League either (but the cash would help).

We are Aston Villa, always in transition and most definitely lost 🤨

Edited by Darth Villa

13 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

However if it carries on for the rest of the season, a couple more wins at most say, I do wonder what the club will do.

May depend on who is available in the summer. A massive rebuild is needed and it really is crucial we have the right people overseeing its. Whether that be the current setup or a significant change.

It's simple.............. go direct 442 launch balls up to Kenian Davis and let abraham pick up the flick ons......... have a narrow 4 in midfield so they don't get outnumbered aswell.

My bet is the clulesss smith family will read this post and txt  deano and he'll set up like this against the bags.....if they havnt used all their pay as you go credit that is.

Davis transformed our season last year with his back to goal hold up play, and I back him to do the same this year. If Stubborn Smithy has any iota on how to win football matches.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

My bet is the clulesss smith family will read this post and txt  deano and he'll set up like this against the bags.....if they havnt used all their pay as you go credit that is.

What the actual .... is this? 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

It's simple.............. go direct 442 launch balls up to Kenian Davis and let abraham pick up the flick ons......... have a narrow 4 in midfield so they don't get outnumbered aswell.

Hello Sam Allerdyce x

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Me again, sorry...

You state that 3/4 of our players are off in the summer for various reasons (debatable as to which ones are trying, and which aren't).

The 'rest' are 'shite.'

You don't trust Smith with a rebuild. Just out of interest, why is that? If 3/4 of the players are off (some out of contract, some not trying because they're off and don't care?) and the others are 'shite,' what exactly were you expecting Smith to do? Just asking as you've nailed your colours to the mast and seem to have lost all faith in Smith very quickly indeed. There was never a magic wand to wave given the summer turmoil and state that the previous incumbent left the team and the squad.

I'll admit that there is precious little about the last couple of months to be really excited about and results haven't been what I was hoping for considering how well we dealt with the 'difficult' run of fixtures before Christmas. But I can't get my head round why there are people who can be 'Smith out' so quickly when the journey has barely even begun. For people criticising him for never having won anything, Bruce (FOUR - 4 promotions)... Warnock... Allardyce and Pardew all had won nothing as managers before winning their first managerial honour. Chicken and egg again. As Director Orson Krennic once said... 'you have to start somewhere...'

Given how this thread is degenerating, it won't be long before the personal insults start on Smith. That itself will be shameful given that in actuality, he is one of us. It doesn't make him a charity case, or beyond criticism... But you might just as well shit on the Holte End steps.

Joleon lescott was one of us, as was Micha Richards, go back further and Collymore and Hendrie were allegedly one of us, Gabby too, the list could go on. 

Not one of them did anything but disappoint ultimately, who was the last 'one of us' who actually achieved anything? 

It's ironic that the one who truly is  'one of us' is doing very well, at another club (Lolley). 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

we lost 7 in 8 games at one stage under previous manager including 5 in a row 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's disappointing to read this sort of insulting post aimed at the Villa manager's family. Opinions are fine, personal abuse is not!

yeah like when you call Steve Bruce Potatoe head sang songs about darren bent and his daughter and Tim Sherwood the cockney "chancer" 😀

but I forgot Dean smith is a villa fan so he's beyond reproach 😂

We lost to a team that DS assembled over 3 years. This team has been assembled over 6-8 months by two managers..

Watching Brentford made me realise the type of players and style we could look forward to at Villa Park.

The teams that we look to replicate all have a long term strategy and have kept faith in their manager.

We have been in this league for three seasons yet we have a section of fans that still think that we are a premier league club and looking for a quick fix..

Purslow is not stupid, we are going to build effectively and slowly and this is going to be a tough journey. 

For me, if you are not backing the manager you are not backing the club that decided to place faith in him.

As I said before, this summer is going to be interesting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was that around January time?  It does feel like we stuck in a rut at the moment.

Yeah between the 29th December and 20th February. Nine games, seven defeats, two draws.

In the spirit of fairness, if you look at the relevant thread at that time, there were plenty calling for dismissal then too.

• Like 1

Â