Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Personally I'd prefer him to get back to what he's about and if the senior pros can't do it try and get some of the u23s in and used to how he wants to play, even if we do get a few beatings along the way. **** it.  At least we'd be out of this weird limbo playing players who won't be here in a few months in a style we won't be using in a few months.

Exactly what I said last night.

It's a shame we loaned out most of the U23's as I honestly don't think a midfield of Doyle-Hayes, McGinn and O'Hare could do any worse than the current midfield. They would at least have some fight in them for 90 minutes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

A lot of people talked about fundamental root and branch changes at the football club. A philosophy. An ethos. Totally different types of players identified, signed and developed. How long does that take? A few months? Hell no, don't be ridiculous. We have to be willing to accept short term problems to fix things in the long term. You can't have your cake and eat it too, I'm afraid. 

What is that though ?  in practical terms ?

Do you not think those above him will want some confidence that they have the right man.

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

Keeps losing games he will go. Despite all the 'words' above.

And be replaced by Dunga?

Look I’m not a Smith fan, or for that matter an anyone else fan, I'm a Villa fan and ultimately that’s all that matters for all of us. My point is we are making wholesale changes to everything at the club and those changes need time to develop. I don’t know if Smith will be a success or not, but he and everyone else under the new regime, need time to make these huge changes. Not giving him time would be a mistake in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Spot on Rodders.

Fwiw I would demand a refund for most of the shit we have had to endure aince Dececmber.

I said it at the beginning and il say it again - The club and the occasion are too big and overwhelming for Smith and co.

I cannot get behind shit, dull, dire football with no game plan for another game. Enough's enough.

We have to give him until the end of the season the very least. He has been sabotaged by fistface so it's not all his fault. But he has to take responsibility for the garbage football and the two wins in twelve. Not godk enough and I'm not interested in excuses like we should have had. A pen yesterday. We didn't deserve anything because we were Utter crap

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Even if all the above is valid (which I don't agree, but bear with me) - Where is the next win coming from ? - because he needs 2 or 3 wins between now and May.  Or else he won't be here to execute his long term vision.

It's like you started watching this club in January. Form is an element for all clubs. We will lose more matches this season, but we will win more as well. There's absolutely no chance we will get rid of him this season or that we will get relegated.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

And be replaced by Dunga?

Look I’m not a Smith fan, or for that matter an anyone else fan, I'm a Villa fan and ultimately that’s all that matters for all of us. My point is we are making wholesale changes to everything at the club and those changes need time to develop. I don’t know if Smith will be a success or not, but he and everyone else under the new regime, need time to make these huge changes. Not giving him time would be a mistake in my opinion. 

Where does the Dunga link come from ?

You maybe right - but the general protocol in football is that if you don't win games you get the sack, unfair, ? shortsighted ?, short term ? - maybe buts that how it works.

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's like you started watching this club in January. Form is an element for all clubs. We will lose more matches this season, but we will win more as well. There's absolutely no chance we will get rid of him this season or that we will get relegated.  

I would say the prospects of him not starting next season are increasing with every game not won. The odd surprise result and a few victories in meaningless end of season games may save him.

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

We need to hold our nerve and back the manager. Some of the comments on here have been embarrassing. Look at Norwich for example. It is going to take time.

He's got a win percentage below 35 % with us currently. I can understand why people are worried, that's shambolic.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

I would say the prospects of him not starting next season are increasing with every game not won. The odd surprise result and a few victories in meaningless end of season games may save him.

Well, you would. 

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

What is that though ?  in practical terms ?

Do you not think those above him will want some confidence that they have the right man.

A clear and defined style of play, with players specifically targeted to fit and buy into it. 

Something that takes time and effort. 

I don’t want to sack him and get yet another manager in, even if some don’t believe he has what it takes, he deserves the same chance anybody else would get. However, football is very short sighted, and if he only manages another couple of wins before the end of the season then I can see him out of a job by the summer.

• Like 1

Why is it that with Smith, so many people think he has to be given the ideal set of conditions - his players, time, pre-season, etc. - before he can be questioned?

I’m sure if you gave an F1 driver the fastest car they’d stand a chance of winning. 

Very rarely do you get optimised conditions in football and so a key skill for a Manager is being able to adapt and evolve.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have to give him until the end of the season the very least. He has been sabotaged by fistface so it's not all his fault. But he has to take responsibility for the garbage football and the two wins in twelve. Not godk enough and I'm not interested in excuses like we should have had. A pen yesterday. We didn't deserve anything because we were Utter crap

It is exactly this.

He gets until the end of the season pretty much regardless.

When he first came in we all thought it would be tough to turn the results around and get us playing a Dean Smith style considering where we started from, but we slowly showed progress towards that.

Then we went through a run of playing some of the best football we have in years and we thought it had clicked, only for the wheels to completely come off and then begin playing some terrible hoofball.

I didn't expect us to go flying up the league when he started but I did expect us to slowly bring a more passing game and change the style of football at VP.

IMO the results themselves won't be what decides if he keeps his job, the playoffs was a tough ask when he first joined, but If he can't get some semblance of a footballing side in to this team by season's end then I wouldn't be surprised if the owners make a change.

2 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Why is it that with Smith, so many people think he has to be given the ideal set of conditions - his players, time, pre-season, etc. - before he can be questioned?

I’m sure if you gave an F1 driver the fastest car they’d stand a chance of winning. 

Very rarely do you get optimised conditions in football and so a key skill for a Manager is being able to adapt and evolve.

I think the fan base is already now split on him. Like they were for a long time with Steve Bruce. 

You have the blind followers.

You have the others that just want to see Villa do well. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

When Steve Bruce had a bad spell this season it was the manager's fault.

When Dean Smith have a bad spell it's the players fault. Interesting.

Who's in charge of the players and getting a tune out of them?

That man is responsible just like the last guy.

We know what the players are capable of so the cannot be used as an excuse fully for how poor the managaer is. Yes they take a percentage of the blame but the buck stops at the manager i'm afraid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Where does the Dunga link come from ?

You maybe right - but the general protocol in football is that if you don't win games you get the sack, unfair, ? shortsighted ?, short term ? - maybe buts that how it works.

I thought you’d said you’d go for Dunga a week or so ago. 

Youre right about how football works regarding results, but we should hold our nerve for now. It’s an ideal situation to rebuild under relatively low pressure. 

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

When Steve Bruce had a bad spell this season it was the manager's fault.

When Dean Smith have a bad spell it's the players fault. Interesting.

Steve Bruce had his own team before the masses started to turn on him.  If you can't get your own players playing you have to become accountable. 

That's fair enough!

Smith has to be given the same time else it was pointless bringing him in. We should have gone for a more old school manager if we wanted immediate success from that team.

However everyone here wanted the expansive game that Brentford destroyed us with last night, but such a change will not happen easily. 

I want that type of football here and I'm prepared to write off this season to get it.

• Like 3

Â