The NSWE Board

Guest av1

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Wow, thanks.

So just steadying the ship would have been a godsend, nevermind investing a couple of hundred million to take us where we are today. 

Owners sometimes don't get the credit they deserve, but it seems this lot are almost the stuff dreams are made of. 

Someone else would have come forward if not them, the club is too big for someone not to step in but make no mistake we were in a huge huge mess financially with debts our then owner and revenue simply couldn't pay. So we were in danger of failing into the sort of hands distressed clubs often fall into who rarely have the best interests of the club at heart, things tend to usually get worst not better for clubs in that scenario.

What these guys have done and in fairness what Purslow has done is unbelievable.

• Like 2

I hope we revisit plans for a affiliate feeder club and the previously rumoured investement by Sawaris in Vitória Guimarães or Eden in FC Copenhagen come to fruition. 

The reports were however carrying substance of sorts. Guardian journalist Paul Doyle reported that Sawiris was set to buy a stake in Portuguese club Vitória S.C... 

According to Reuters in 2019, Villa’s co-owner Edens and his investment group had launched a bid to buy Lange’s former club FC Copenhagen.

The Fortress Investment Group were apparently in talks to buy a stake in Denmark’s most successful domestic team who had been regularly qualifying for the Champions League in the past decade.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.avillafan.com/32320/how-aston-villa-may-utilise-affiliate-clubs-in-the-future/%3famp

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I hope we revisit plans for a affiliate feeder club and the previously rumoured investement by Sawaris in Vitória Guimarães or Eden in FC Copenhagen come to fruition. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.avillafan.com/32320/how-aston-villa-may-utilise-affiliate-clubs-in-the-future/%3famp

Yes that is something I'm really eager for them to do, it is seemingly something that they were considering pre-COVID but perhaps has been shelved as a result or potentially the EU/Brexit uncertainty has been a factor I don't know. I hope it is something that they do in the future though as I think it could be beneficial.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Easily. Both clubs went the same way, we were lucky to get out the other end fortunately. 

They started our strange run of good luck, we have gone from having a lot to wrong to lots to right.

On 24/12/2020 at 21:21, MotoMkali said:

The thing about US sports is that there isn't actually any parity. Take basketball for instance most relevant since edens owns the bucks. Only 19 of 30 teams have ever won the championship, 11 teams have won the last 37. 2 teams have combined for 34 of the 74 total championships.

Over the last 10 years lebron James has been in the finals 9 times, the heat have been in the finals 5 times, the warriors have been in the finals 5 times, the San antonio spurs have been in it twice (and been in the finals 4 other times since 1999 - winning it 5 times in total). Lakers twice (one on the backend of a 3peat). Oklahoma City once but there best player has been in it 3 other times since.

And only 3 teams have won rings in the last 10 years that hadn't already won one. One was LeBrons team, one was the raptors after getting the San Antonio spurs best player and the other was the Dallas Mavericks having made the finals 5 years earlier.

The leagues highest ever ratings were when there are dynasties. Lebron, the Shaq/KOBE lakers, the pau kobe lakers, the warriors, the showtime lakers and the Jordan Bulls.

The point is that the championships still aren't spread out evenly. And that when they are it hurts the leagues. This is because it prevents casual bandwagoners from jumping in and enjoying the sport.

Sure the rise and falls of the teams are a lot more sudden because your players can't easily be poached and you generally have control over them for their first 9 seasons. But teams in bigger markets have a massive advantage as players team up and join each other on different teams. And even with the measures they put in place the only super stars who have stayed on their teams are Steph Curry, Damian Lillard and Giannis Antetokoumpo and that is like 3 of 20 guys who command that level of money.

And we don't know the final outcome no matter what. How many times have people predicted Barca to win the champions League over the last 5 seasons probably 3 or 4 times they were the favourites but in the end they choked every time. 

The NBA has the least parity by far of the North American sports.  No doubt. That is driven by the fact that having the best player in the league almost always guarantees you a spot in the NBA Finals. It takes a really special team to deny Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, or Lebron when they are in the Finals. 

You want parity check out the NFL where back to back champions are rare. Only 3 times in the last 30 years. In that time no team has won 3 in a row.  Over half the league has won a title in the last 30 years. The hard salary cap is a big part of that. Prohibits you from stockpiling talent for any significant length of time.

What's funny is that the Prem has slowly been moving towards more parity. FFP, inept ownership of some of the top teams, and the level of tv money available has allowed the smaller sides to be much more competitive than 10-15 years ago. That's why the "Big 6" tried to enact that new plan because if they don't act now they may well not be the Big 6 in another 10 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

The NBA has the least parity by far of the North American sports.  No doubt. That is driven by the fact that having the best player in the league almost always guarantees you a spot in the NBA Finals. It takes a really special team to deny Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, or Lebron when they are in the Finals. 

You want parity check out the NFL where back to back champions are rare. Only 3 times in the last 30 years. In that time no team has won 3 in a row.  Over half the league has won a title in the last 30 years. The hard salary cap is a big part of that. Prohibits you from stockpiling talent for any significant length of time.

What's funny is that the Prem has slowly been moving towards more parity. FFP, inept ownership of some of the top teams, and the level of tv money available has allowed the smaller sides to be much more competitive than 10-15 years ago. That's why the "Big 6" tried to enact that new plan because if they don't act now they may well not be the Big 6 in another 10 years. 

Just on this “big 6” who are they exactly?  Are arsenal in their ? Given current status. Spurs surely chat be classed as big 6 because they never win anything and haven’t for 30 plus years. I assume Leicester are in there as recent league winners ? Does anyone actually know 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes that is something I'm really eager for them to do, it is seemingly something that they were considering pre-COVID but perhaps has been shelved as a result or potentially the EU/Brexit uncertainty has been a factor I don't know. I hope it is something that they do in the future though as I think it could be beneficial.

It's interesting because what I've heard is that it will become increasingly common for PL sides due to Brexit. And we've seen a few clubs also doing it already (Brighton and City jump out)

17 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Just on this “big 6” who are they exactly?  Are arsenal in their ? Given current status. Spurs surely chat be classed as big 6 because they never win anything and haven’t for 30 plus years. I assume Leicester are in there as recent league winners ? Does anyone actually know 

It is more accurately described as the sky 6. Arse, Chelsea, Spurs, plop, citeh and manure. 

7 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

It's interesting because what I've heard is that it will become increasingly common for PL sides due to Brexit. And we've seen a few clubs also doing it already (Brighton and City jump out)

I wasn’t aware of Brighton, Leicester have also done it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

That's why their plan allowed the 9 teams with the longest recent continual Prem existence the vote.

Spurs and Arsenal are definitely there because of their continual Champions League appaerances or competing for it. Leicester probably get into the top 7 or 8 but their sudden emergence and Title is probably what kick-started those discussions a few years back, with the financial disasters created by Covid giving them an opportunity to convince the EFL. Leicester did what shouldn't have been possible and they've kept it up by continually buying well, stopping another Leicester is exactly why those plans were brought forward

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

The Big 6 I was referring two were the 6 clubs that attempted a take over of the Prem earlier this year. Project Big picture. 

Arsenal

Manchester united 

Manchester city 

Liverpool 

Tottenham

Chelsea

4 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

The Big 6 I was referring two were the 6 clubs that attempted a take over of the Prem earlier this year. Project Big picture. 

Arsenal

Manchester united 

Manchester city 

Liverpool 

Tottenham

Chelsea

The commercial revenues (beyond TV money) of these clubs are significantly higher than other clubs in the Premier League. That's where there is a major chasm that needs to be narrowed by clubs like Villa and Everton or else FFP will get in the way of squad development.

The other day I was listening to an interview with the Milwaukee Bucks General Manager where he mentioned trading notes with Aston Villa on Covid protocols at venue. Hopefully, they are also exchanging best practices on the commercial and marketing side.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We should thank our lucky stars every single day that these guys bought our club.

They're not just incredibly wealthy, that almost a sideline compared to their clear business acumen and understanding of building a sports team.

I feel sorry for them that they can't get to more games at a packed Villa Park, because they deserve to be having their own names sung by the Holte.  They didn't just save our club, they've absolutely rejuvenated it in virtually no time at all.

This.

In addition though they are investing in the training ground, investing in the new city centre academy, looking to redevelop the land behind the North Stand. Then you've got the significant investment in sports science and analyst's, the investment in academy talent,  the investment in and commitment too the AVFC women's team, the comprehensive recruitment program to attract proven performers such as Lange, Harrison, Haycock and MacKenzie. I'm sure there is much more we aren't even aware of at this time.

They aren't just funding Smith to build a competitive side they are building the club behind him, they are developing every aspect of the club and trying to transform it. They are seeking to build the foundations of a top club through investment in every element and I think this regularly goes either unnoticed or under appreciated. The same is probably true in regards the role of Purslow in delivering on these changes.

The changes they are implementing won't just benefit us this season they will benefit the club for years to come, I sincerely hope these guys are around for the next 10 years. The changes they are implementing to me suggest they see this as a long term project.

• Like 4

Still maintain given the size of our plot a hotel would do wonders for the conference and business side plus match day revenues for the club. If you look at it long term.

especially of its handed to a management company to run and they just own some of the profits of it as a landlord. 

once covid has gone away that is. We’ve got plenty of space available.  

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

This.

In addition though they are investing in the training ground, investing in the new city centre academy, looking to redevelop the land behind the North Stand. Then you've got the significant investment in sports science and analyst's, the investment in academy talent,  the investment in and commitment too the AVFC women's team, the comprehensive recruitment program to attract proven performers such as Lange, Harrison, Haycock and MacKenzie. I'm sure there is much more we aren't even aware of at this time.

They aren't just funding Smith to build a competitive side they are building the club behind him, they are developing every aspect of the club and trying to transform it. They are seeking to build the foundations of a top club through investment in every element and I think this regularly goes either unnoticed or under appreciated. The same is probably true in regards the role of Purslow in delivering on these changes.

The changes they are implementing won't just benefit us this season they will benefit the club for years to come, I sincerely hope these guys are around for the next 10 years. The changes they are implementing to me suggest they see this as a long term project.

I think we will get confirmation of this within 18 months. If we spend similar amounts to what we have this summer and last they will be so invested financially into the club that they will clearly be in it for the long haul.

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I wasn’t aware of Brighton, Leicester have also done it.

Yep they have as well. It looks like Belgium has been the country mostly targeted. Brighton's one is Union Saint-Gilloise (in the Belgian 2nd tier)

Â