The NSWE Board

Guest av1

January could be fun, as you would think owners as intelligent as these may have held back a bit in the summer due to the threat of us going down. 

Next summer will define whether will stick around as challengers though. Keep our best players, spend another £100m on another 3/4 quality players and we will be looking towards the top 4 next season. 

These lads deserve huge credit for so many things that they have done so far, many of them behind the scenes that we don’t really  appreciate. However possibly the most impressive thing they’ve done was to hold their nerve and keep faith with Dean Smith. Lesser owners would have folded under the intense pressure as would lesser men than Dean Smith for that matter. They’ve put down a marker for us and we are starting to see an extremely bright future, both on and off the pitch. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

These lads deserve huge credit for so many things that they have done so far, many of them behind the scenes that we don’t really  appreciate. However possibly the most impressive thing they’ve done was to hold their nerve and keep faith with Dean Smith. Lesser owners would have folded under the intense pressure as would lesser men than Dean Smith for that matter. They’ve put down a marker for us and we are starting to see an extremely bright future, both on and off the pitch. 

Wasn't it rumoured that Smith would've been sacked if we'd lost to Chelsea before lockdown came in? I know I wanted him gone and so did many others. Interesting how differently things could've turned out had the pandemic not hit when it did.

They’ve done something special

I wonder, given where we are in the league now, whether would would try and capitalise in the transfer market in January as we will look a lot more attractive especially if we could get do something against Chelsea and Man U before it opens.

We are building something very special here. Let’s hope it continues. Just hope we keep the levels of investment to go with it as it’s vital to go on to that next level - everything suggests they will which is encouraging. Europa next season or season after? I hope so. To this day I’m still annoyed MON treated the europa like dirt, can’t see Dean doing the same if we ever reach it. 

• Like 2

They're doing exactly what every owner says they're going to do when they take over a club - invest in young players that increase in value, get a manager in who plays good attacking football, invest in the training grounds and academy players to get in a conveyer belt of talent, etc.

Difference is it actually worked. Wonder if they're just lucky, or whether they've got some kind of special sauce? I guess actually investing substantial amounts of money makes them better than most owners, but as Randy demonstrated a few years back that alone isn't enough.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Wasn't it rumoured that Smith would've been sacked if we'd lost to Chelsea before lockdown came in? I know I wanted him gone and so did many others. Interesting how differently things could've turned out had the pandemic not hit when it did.

That's why these guys are billionaire s - they have good fortune when it's needed.

Dare I say it - I kinda like the silence - no outrageous claims, no revolving door of backroom staff, everything is kept in house.

They clearly had ambition and belief when they bought the club, but like many of us fans, I think they themselves must be quite surprised with how quickly the club has turned around. 

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Trent I know you have a good understanding of football finance's, and also have contacts in the game. I know we were in the brown stuff after the playoff final defeat to Fulham, exactly how close were we to going bump before the new owners came in? 

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

Trent I know you have a good understanding of football finance's, and also have contacts in the game. I know we were in the brown stuff after the playoff final defeat to Fulham, exactly how close were we to going bump before the new owners came in? 

About as close as you can get. They had sold future revenue already so the only thing left was a fire sale of players and back then we didn't have a whole let of assets in the playing squad.

We were on the absolute brink of administration, when the club are calling wealthy fans asking to borrow a few million quid it tells you just how desperate they were.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

About as close as you can get. They had sold future revenue already so the only thing left was a fire sale of players and back then we didn't have a whole let of assets in the playing squad.

We were on the absolute brink of administration, when the club are calling wealthy fans asking to borrow a few million quid it tells you just how desperate they were.

Wow, thanks.

So just steadying the ship would have been a godsend, nevermind investing a couple of hundred million to take us where we are today. 

Owners sometimes don't get the credit they deserve, but it seems this lot are almost the stuff dreams are made of. 

Â