The NSWE Board

Guest av1

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Other view on the trade is that it gives them a chance to win something this year and keep Giannis next year when otherwise he'd have almost certainly left.

The trade system in US can't be compared with what we have here.  It shows they're willing to do and spend everything they can for success. In the US you cant guarantee long term success regardless of your actions,  but in England they will have a better chance to do so. 

They've got a MUCH BETTER chance to win now they've made this trade than before. Bledsoe was poop. 

Keeping it to Villa, it shows what the Bucks will do to keep their best baller happy. If Villa do the same, hopefully our baller will be here for a long time to come too!

• Like 1

Just a reminder of what 🐐 said:

It is my club, my home and I am very happy here," "The owners have made it very clear to me how ambitious they are and how they want to build Aston Villa. There are exciting times ahead and I am very glad to be part of it.”

No way we ever sell. Just need to make sure we dont slide into the bottom half or anything Jack finds unacceptable 🙃

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Just a reminder of what 🐐 said:

It is my club, my home and I am very happy here," "The owners have made it very clear to me how ambitious they are and how they want to build Aston Villa. There are exciting times ahead and I am very glad to be part of it.”

No way we ever sell. Just need to make sure we dont slide into the bottom half or anything Jack finds unacceptable 🙃

We all know the way to keep any precious player at Villa Park, inc Jack.....is to bring quality in to play with him.

We have done that with Ross Barkley albeit on loan......we have to keep doing it incrementally, until no player wants to leave......In the early eighties, no player wanted to leave, i know it was some time ago, but thats what we have to aim for......and I think we are.

But we have to sign these big talents early in their careers, so they can grow with us and nurture loyalty and if we leave it until they are established stars they become too expensive.

I think all the clubs that want Jack now, have missed the boat, because it would take an arm and a leg financially to get him, now and we have estalished ourselves a bit more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KMitch said:

Holiday is not worth 3 first round picks...  Keeping Giannis for a few more years and strengthening the team with both Holiday and Bogdanovic for 3 first rounders is worth it, though.  They're now legit contenders for the title.

I’m not a big NBA fan (the Timberwolves always suck), but 3 first round picks is a LOT in the NBA. They’re essentially mortgaging their future for the hope of “winning now.” Shows me that Edens isn’t afraid of being bold to try and win.

Although it’s a little easier to do when being bad doesn’t result in relegation.

5 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I’m not a big NBA fan (the Timberwolves always suck), but 3 first round picks is a LOT in the NBA. They’re essentially mortgaging their future for the hope of “winning now.” Shows me that Edens isn’t afraid of being bold to try and win.

Although it’s a little easier to do when being bad doesn’t result in relegation.

But didn't they get first round picks last time and will still have first round picks next time? Surely just missing 1 year of first picks isn't writing off your future entirely? 

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But didn't they get first round picks last time and will still have first round picks next time? Surely just missing 1 year of first picks isn't writing off your future entirely? 

It's not just one year , the picks they're trading are 2020, 2024(swap), 2025(unprotected), 2026(swap), 2027(unprotected) (They've already traded their 2022 first as well). This is ludicrous for a 3rd tier star. They must be sure Giannis is staying, otherwise it's a complete disaster. 

I'm not sure this says anything about Edens, but as an owner he must have approved such a crazy offer, no GM could do this without it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Out of interest, don't players get any say in where they go? A team picks them and they have no choice in the matter? How very odd. 

That's the funny paradox with US sports. It's a communist league system with salary caps, draft system and what not, and players with (obscenely well paid) servitude or "slavery" who can be traded by their masters, often without a say in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

That's the funny paradox with US sports. It's a communist league system with salary caps, draft system and what not, and players with (obscenely well paid) servitude or "slavery" who can be traded by their masters, often without a say in it.

yep, i have read moneyball so many times, there are chapters about players being traded to other teams and that player sitting in a chair shocked to silence that he ended up at team A, rather than team B or C etc that they expected.

Although, (again in moneyball), it mentions some players have clauses inserted in to their contracts that they cant be traded to X or Y club, so i suppose it depends on how much power the individual player has to get clauses inserted?

• Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

yep, i have read moneyball so many times, there are chapters about players being traded to other teams and that player sitting in a chair shocked to silence that he ended up at team A, rather than team B or C etc that they expected.

Although, (again in moneyball), it mentions some players have clauses inserted in to their contracts that they cant be traded to X or Y club, so i suppose it depends on how much power the individual player has to get clauses inserted?

Yup, a lot of big stars or "franchise players" have a no trade clause or a no movement clause which at least gives them a say in the matter. At least in the NHL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes I admittedly don’t know much about the NBA at all, but after a quick search it looks like 2022 is their only year without a first round pick currently.

Out of interest, don't players get any say in where they go? A team picks them and they have no choice in the matter? How very odd. 

usually when they come out of college they sign a contract which benefits the team but when approach free agency they can add no movement clauses into the next contract. Usually the no movement clauses are only for the better players

Major stars can insert no-trade clauses in their contracts. 

Another way is if they have a short amount of time(1-2 years) left on their contract. Teams will be hesitant to trade for a player that won't commit long term. 

Player power in the NBA is huge. Star players can even force trades to specific teams.  For example check out James Harden. It's an open secret that he will be a Brooklyn Net by the end of the off-season. The only secret is how much the Nets will have to give up to make it happen. 

Players aren't huge fans of trades but given that their deals are fully guaranteed and some even include trade kickers they don't complain to much. 

Note: a trade kicker clause will increase the salary of a player by a given percentage (10-15%) if he is traded from the original team that he signed his deal with. 

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, M_Afro said:

What these guys are doing for our club is unbelievable. We have improved so much in their time here. We have really invested in our future. We have real stability. We have the best team in probably 10 years. Cannot praise them enough. We’ve got our Villa back 

I would say 20 years I reckon.

I think Smith has been our best after Gregory but that could change if Smith keeps moving us forward.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

One things for certain with these guys, should Deano be replaced, they will be ambitious with who they go for.

Smith wont be replaced for long time, so long as he and his co workers keep Villa performing the way they should be.

Eventually every manager or coaches time comes and yes I agree that when it does I reckon a big name would come in.

Whatever work Craig Shakespear is doing with Smith I think it's clearly being seen on the pitch.

Â