The NSWE Board

Guest av1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We have a deal that obviously suits us and you would like to think makes us the most money, being in control of retail perhaps offers that hence why wolves were willing to take the pay cut

Staying off topic for a moment, we have the opposite of that - Fanatics own our retail and are in charge of it - I have a feeling we'll be out of that deal as soon as it expires.

49 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If you look at Edens and his US team they have a superstar player who they could have sold for big bucks but instead fought for and kept and they've now become champions. I'm sure they'll be hoping for the same here. 

Tell me more please.  His team became champions?  

43 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If you look at Edens and his US team they have a superstar player who they could have sold for big bucks but instead fought for and kept and they've now become champions. I'm sure they'll be hoping for the same here. 

He also bought into the Bucks when they were at a real low ebb and Giannis was a huge talent that wasn't yet fulfilling his potential. The parallels are really quite striking.

They haven't captured the national title yet but they did finish top of their conference in the regular season.

Much more reassuring to look across and see our sister team is on an upward trajectory than the days of Randy and the Browns.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Tell me more please.  His team became champions?  

I could be wrong as US sports are odd but the Milwaukee Bucks won the Division Title in 2019 and 2020. I don't know if this makes them champions or if they then need to win a playoff or something. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He also bought into the Bucks when they were at a real low ebb and Giannis was a huge talent that wasn't yet fulfilling his potential. The parallels are really quite striking.

They haven't captured the national title yet but they did finish top of their conference in the regular season.

Much more reassuring to look across and see our sister team is on an upward trajectory than the days of Randy and the Browns.

Literally just posting that I don't completely understand the difference in this but that I knew he'd brought success to them. I think I read that he's also redeveloped the commercial element of the team and they're better financially now too but I could be completely making that up. 

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Literally just posting that I don't completely understand the difference in this but that I knew he'd brought success to them. I think I read that he's also redeveloped the commercial element of the team and they're better financially now too but I could be completely making that up. 

Yeah they won their 5 team division handsomely as well as finishing top of their 15 team conference. Wes bought in when they had finished bottom of both the season before.

My knowledge of the NBA is very limited as I only watch highlights so I don't know about their finances but they seem to be pretty universally regarded as a team on the up.

Edit - Giannis is really unplayable, 7ft and moves like he's 5ft 6, the Grealish of the NBA if you will.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

I'd hope the board are working on lots of commercial avenues to improve our global presence, to increase revenue, to help us compete with bigger transfer fees and wages.

We are so far behind the top 6 at the moment, it looks impossible to compete on salaries/transfers. 

Hopefully us thrashing Liverpool and Arsenal has helped start the journey of building a global brand.

Buying and selling for profit if you don't keep the best of them gets you to Brentford’s level. 

Buying and selling for profit but keeping the really good ones gets you Chelsea's level. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

14 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Yeah they won their 5 team division handsomely as well as finishing top of their 15 team conference. Wes bought in when they had finished bottom of both the season before.

My knowledge of the NBA is very limited as I only watch highlights so I don't know about their finances but they seem to be pretty universally regarded as a team on the up.

Edit - Giannis is really unplayable, 7ft and moves like he's 5ft 6, the Grealish of the NBA if you will.

American Sport Difference:

Winning the League in America = Winning the Playoffs

It's like if you combined the Premier League and the FA Cup together into one tournament.  The top 8-12 teams at the end of the Premier League season would get placed into a bracket based on where they finished in the League table.  Some sports are split in divisions/conferences and others just conferences, these play into how the playoff bracket works.  Mainly, because America is geographically huge and travel takes it's toll on the players, so most sports leagues are split up with regional divisions/groups.  The regular season/league table doesn't really matter to both the players and fans.  You could finish the season with the best record/most points in history and nobody would care unless you also won the playoffs.  The goal of the regular season in all American sports is to get better seeding in the playoff bracket.  Usually the teams who finish 1-2 in their conference get an automatic bye in the first round of the playoffs and regular.

With regards to the Bucks, they've historically been one of the worst teams in NBA history, with a small market and fanbase.  The current ownership has built a team capable of challenging for the NBA title around Giannis, while playing exciting basketball.  They've also leveraged the off the court side of the business very well and got the city of Milwaukee to build them a new stadium.  The parallels to Villa off the pitch isn't quite the same (the Bucks and the city of Milwaukee are more like Sunderland than Villa and Birmingham), but on the field we are now quite similar.  Rebuilding the team around one up and coming superstar, strengthening the front office, and running the business like a well oiled machine.  

• Thanks 1

Yeah - US sports are a lot different when it comes to player movements. You don’t sell a player, you trade them - typically in exchange for a series of draft picks and/ or other players - you don’t exchange cash.

In addition there’s the obvious weird dynamic where being really bad in a season doesn’t see you relegated, you are actually rewarded with a really high draft pick in the following years draft. In other words, Villa would have had a lot of early First round draft picks over the last few years had we equivalently sucked in a US sports league...

Typically, if it’s clear a player isn’t going to sign a new contract, they’ll be traded with about a year left to go on their contract. But mega blockbuster deals are relatively less common. 

14 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Yeah - US sports are a lot different when it comes to player movements. You don’t sell a player, you trade them - typically in exchange for a series of draft picks and/ or other players - you don’t exchange cash.

In addition there’s the obvious weird dynamic where being really bad in a season doesn’t see you relegated, you are actually rewarded with a really high draft pick in the following years draft. In other words, Villa would have had a lot of early First round draft picks over the last few years had we equivalently sucked in a US sports league...

Typically, if it’s clear a player isn’t going to sign a new contract, they’ll be traded with about a year left to go on their contract. But mega blockbuster deals are relatively less common. 

Another massive difference is that the NFL/NBA/NHL all have a salary cap. Which means each team only has a certain amount of money to spend on player salary per year. It essentially prevents (from what I gather - didn’t follow the Prem back then) a team like Sir Alex’s United from buying an all-star team and dominating. Similar to what Man City seemingly keep trying to do now.  The goal is to prevent competitive unbalance between teams based on their owners’ wealth.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

Buying and selling for profit if you don't keep the best of them gets you to Brentford’s level. 

Buying and selling for profit but keeping the really good ones gets you Chelsea's level. 

That would be great if ffp wasnt in existence, that changes the situation, no matter how much money we have.

Unfortunately with such a massive overhaul still in process at some point we need to sell to enable us to keep growing.

Jack will most likely be sold eventually, but only when he reaches maximum value, and we can deal without him.

20 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Bucks have been failing pretty badly, nowhere near being champions, Giannis might leave for nothing next summer and they're getting very desperate - paying wayyyyyy over the odds in a trade last night. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Bucks have been failing pretty badly, nowhere near being champions, Giannis might leave for nothing next summer and they're getting very desperate - paying wayyyyyy over the odds in a trade last night. 

Other view on the trade is that it gives them a chance to win something this year and keep Giannis next year when otherwise he'd have almost certainly left.

The trade system in US can't be compared with what we have here.  It shows they're willing to do and spend everything they can for success. In the US you cant guarantee long term success regardless of your actions,  but in England they will have a better chance to do so. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sne said:

Not followed the NBA closely since the turn of the millennia so can't really comment on the quality of this trade.

Holiday is not worth 3 first round picks...  Keeping Giannis for a few more years and strengthening the team with both Holiday and Bogdanovic for 3 first rounders is worth it, though.  They're now legit contenders for the title.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Not followed the NBA closely since the turn of the millennia so can't really comment on the quality of this trade.

Really depends on the protection of those picks, which is a complicated matter in itself, but it's pretty much going all in. If Giannis stays these picks would probably not be very valuable, although it'd still be a problem as they'll be unlikely to have assets for future trades because of the Stepien rule. If he goes next summer, though, this trade could become disastrous for them. 

On 16/11/2020 at 13:39, YouUnastanFren said:

So under this leadership we'll end up top of the conference?? NSWE out

• Haha 2

Â