Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Purslow was the one who fought for getting  Smith , When we go down I wonder if the owners decide he has to fall as well ?

He is 100% accountable , he was also the one with the no loans mantra in Summer when it was obvious we should of used Loans to supplement the small group we had so we could spend more on quality not quantity 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If they want to see any return on investment when they sell Villa need to be back as a established premier league side.

Mind you the last owner who actually made any money from us was Doug who is still probably laughing now.

I'm a romantic and don't want to see Villa as an investment. At least not a short term (under 5 years) investment. 

5 minutes ago, Nabby said:

He is 100% accountable , he was also the one with the no loans mantra in Summer when it was obvious we should of used Loans to supplement the small group we had so we could spend more on quality not quantity 

But we mostly agreed there's no point loaning players to develop them for other teams.  That's why we brought loads.  It might have worked,  it looks like it hasn't. 

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I'm a romantic and don't want to see Villa as an investment. At least not a short term (under 5 years) investment. 

Bless. I am sure our multi millionaire owners see the same. But I agree we need some long term investment.

Edited by The Fun Factory

One of the reasons we had to buy so many players in the summer was because we loaned in too many players whilst in the championship, so I kind of agree with Purslow to an extent on that. If we go down, I think we should avoid loans as much as possible unless there's an option to buy.

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

But we mostly agreed there's no point loaning players to develop them for other teams.  That's why we brought loads.  It might have worked,  it looks like it hasn't. 

Yes because people get this we are too big a club to develop other teams players  when really we needed to be pragmatic and say short term this is the brunt we will have to bear to stay in league.

As an example if Chelsea had no Transfer ban and Tammy was available for Loan would it have been wise to say oh no we don't want to develop him further or take the loan knowing it helps us stay in league and we can push on. I do understand the reluctance however to loan players with large loan fee's and stipulations like having to play them in certain % of games.

Reality is we got promoted using the loan market to our advantage we then decided we were too big/good to continue with that ...only to then have to change tact in Jan and loan 2 players.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

One of the reasons we had to buy so many players in the summer was because we loaned in too many players whilst in the championship, so I kind of agree with Purslow to an extent on that. If we go down, I think we should avoid loans as much as possible unless there's an option to buy.

Yes but there is balance IMO 

Instead of loaning 5 players you loan in 2 ..which is what we ended up doing anyway 

I don't mind so much loaning in players as a premier league club,  I just don't think it's a good idea having half your team on loan as a championship club unless you've got options to buy, otherwise you end up in a situation where you have to buy a new team, of course it wasn't just that with us it was also having a lot of old players as well, but those were signed Round and Wyness, which is why I still think our current problems to some extent can be traced back to their time at the club, if their transfer policy wasn't so bad we wouldn't have needed to buy almost an entire squad in the summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

To me Purslow and the board has failed as miserably as Smith.

If they were as ambitious as they claim to be they would hire a manager who could match that ambition. Not a bloke from Walsall and Brentford.

They wanted to appoint Henry initally remember. He had his reservations about the job and went to manage Monaco where he failed massively. Now in MLS.

We did sign 2 of the 4 loans we had, Mings and El Ghazi. I still think we'd have got Tammy full time as he loved it here but as everyone knows it was just a freak run of events that got him a proper chance at Chelsea (no chance he'd have played if Sarri was still at Chelsea for example) and now he will cost 60m.

Didn't Wolves sign a couple on loan when they came up, Boly and Jimenez? And they did so well it became an easy decision for those two to commit long term.

Has to be accountable giving a new contract to a manager at a time when he was clearly struggling to get the team to perform - maybe had he kept us up reward him but not when in such poor form 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We did sign 2 of the 4 loans we had, Mings and El Ghazi. I still think we'd have got Tammy full time as he loved it here but as everyone knows it was just a freak run of events that got him a proper chance at Chelsea (no chance he'd have played if Sarri was still at Chelsea for example) and now he will cost 60m.

Didn't Wolves sign a couple on loan when they came up, Boly and Jimenez? And they did so well it became an easy decision for those two to commit long term.

Hause as well signed permanently.  I agree with those who say we unnecessarily restricted ourselves by not wanting loans this summer.  We could have easily loaned a better winger than Trezeguet imo, we ended up spending almost £10m I think on him just for the sake of it.  If it was me I'd keep Purslow, Smith and Suso anyway.

Happy to be mouthing off on tv and radio at the start of the season, happy to be hanging out in the tunnel after getting to wembley so the tv cameras can see him

But where is he now? I wouldn't trust him as far as i can throw him tbh. Strikes me as a shameless self-promotionist who talks a good game, but its clear his inability to see the obvious and sack Smith and Suso has ultimately doomed us

Just now, andym said:

Happy to be mouthing off on tv and radio at the start of the season, happy to be hanging out in the tunnel after getting to wembley so the tv cameras can see him

But where is he now? I wouldn't trust him as far as i can throw him tbh. Strikes me as a shameless self-promotionist who talks a good game, but its clear his inability to see the obvious and sack Smith and Suso has ultimately doomed us

We are failing and Purslow is a part of that.

If he is so brilliant why isn't he still at a top club now?

14 minutes ago, andym said:

So ridiculously dramatic 🤣

15 minutes ago, andym said:

Which ceo in the modern world can you trust they're all slippery snakes. Before the game he was in the tunnel and Smith looked like he was explaining the reason behind the formation changes.

Don’t see anything in the tunnel thing other than smith talking to his boss .... Sadly 

I think Purslow is a very shrewd operator and good at his job. Definitely not to taken at gospel and fully trusted though as he is very media savvy and will have his own agenda. 

He needs to be ambitious though in his thinking and also decisive and I hope barring a miracle and we stay up the decisions been made to ditch smith. 

Â