Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Well I’m hoping some sense in there that some teams that have nothing to play for like Everton, Palace and Burnley say “why should we risk our players” or the players at those clubs say that and influence those clubs.  Do Palace really want to risk their biggest asset in Zaha? I’m not sure they do.

hope so. i'm not so sure. as CP said there is 10s of millions at stake in tv money. the mid table sides just wouldn't risk their best players and could just field a side in order to fulfill the contracts

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

hope so. i'm not so sure. as CP said there is 10s of millions at stake in tv money. the mid table sides just wouldn't risk their best players and could just field a side in order to fulfill the contracts

True.  Just makes it even more of a farce to continue as key players maybe missing.  Imagine if Jack and Mings take the option not to play (re what Purslow said) our team would incredibly weak especially if the whole Bmouth squad said they would play.

Edited by nick76

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

True.  Just makes it even more of a farce to continue as key players maybe missing.  Imagine if Jack and Mings take the option not to play (re what Purslow said) our team would incredibly weak especially if the whole Bmouth squad said they would play.

i can see it being a farce anyway, especially if they take relegation off the table...every game involving sides not aiming for europe will be like pre season friendlies

Just now, tomav84 said:

i can see it being a farce anyway, especially if they take relegation off the table...every game involving sides not aiming for europe will be like pre season friendlies

I agree.  I also see the side of the six teams involved in relegation.  As Purslow said it’s a 200m cost for those who are relegated based on circumstances that weren’t in the original agreement ie home and away, set players and set rules.  It’s not fair to relegate anybody because of this change but also it causes problems like what you mention and also promotion.

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

my worry is that it comes down to a vote...only those in danger of relegation are likely to vote against it

Everyone should be thinking about the likelihood and outcome of a vote which would almost certainly follow a vote against proposals in the next few days. Don’t misunderstand me, there is no way that Villa, or any other club in danger of relegation, should vote for a proposal that takes away advantages that others have enjoyed. But someone, somewhere, is going to feel hard done by when this reaches its end. The only way to facilitate everyone is to  complete the season under the same circumstances as it started. That’s very unlikely to happen. The next best way, IMO, would be to offer promotions across the leagues with no relegations. And even then you’d have some clubs in and around the playoff places who would argue they’ve been robbed of opportunity. 
We know that the authorities want some sort of finality in the next few weeks, so an outcome has to be found. As things stand I believe they could well end up voting to use PPG if playing the remaining fixtures proves impossible. And at that point I can assure you that there’d be 17 Premier League clubs who would vote that through. 

IMO The Premier League will need even bigger insurance policies if they restart in the middle of a global pandemic as I'm sure every club, player and agent will want to guarantee the safety of the players and be fully assured even before they go back into training

All this in a legally binding contract that potentially could see the premier league sued for hundreds of millions pending the number of players/staff catching COV19 and the worst case scenario of the outbreak because their risk and control measures failed resulting in players being hospitalised or even death.

Guaranteeing everyone's safety right now is just about impossible and I'm not even sure there would be a company out there that would offer that kind of policy to protect billions of pounds in assets in player fees and covering hefty contracts when you are playing contact sports! 

Good luck with that one premier league. 

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

my worry is that it comes down to a vote...only those in danger of relegation are likely to vote against it

That may well be enough if you include Southampton and Newcastle in that group. Would they be that confident that the 7 and 8pt gap they have at the moment is enough to guarantee safety. Dangle the carrot of cancelling the season in front of them and I'd expect them to play safe.

I'd imagine Purslow is lobbying hard amongst those down there to vote against the neutral grounds proposal. Only realistically need one of Saints or Newcastle to agree for the proposal not to be carried.

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I keep seeing this.  People thinking that without relegation it will be some kind of lesser thing. 

They will be playing in empty stadiums in a series of back to back games with hardly any training and no pre season games after a break longer than the normal close season. 

I think those circumstances are going to detract far far more from the whole farcical sham of a situation than the fact relegation is removed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I keep seeing this.  People thinking that without relegation it will be some kind of lesser thing. 

They will be playing in empty stadiums in a series of back to back games with hardly any training and no pre season games after a break longer than the normal close season. 

I think those circumstances are going to detract far far more from the whole farcical sham of a situation than the fact relegation is removed. 

On one hand , we need relegation to keep it interesting for TV 

On other we are going to televise every game ,...hang on you said only the relegation battle is worth watching.There are 6 teams who could go down so thats 3 matches per round of games. The relegation games will be great relegation threatened teams playing teams who are just out for a jog , with no fan interaction and if you happen to score a late winner to grab those 3 points don't dare celebrate with your team mates - thats banned as well.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Cause before the lockdown, we couldn't string 2 passes together and Grealish was close to the beach.

So in other words we wouldn't actually be down it would just the same "down" as we are after every defeat? 

• Like 1

As I have mentioned before this vote thing is not just for this season it sets a rule to follow for future outbreaks.

6 teams that are in the relegation mire at the moment could well change if this happens again.

You are voting on something that could cost you big time in the future not just this season.

There will be more than the 6 voting on what should happen this season with an eye on the future.

I think the vote Monday should be pretty simple.  Finish the season as it began with fans.  Or Cancel.  Anything else will destroy the game.

A few weeks back on the Football Show on SSN im sure a journo said they reckon the 14/6 vote may not work as this is a pandemic and a rare event and if a few teams voted no it could be accepted.

Edited by midian

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

BMF

25929904-8108035-image-a-58_1584102889716.jpg

Is that Paul Faulkner on the right leaning in desperate to hear some words of wisdom from someone who actually knows how the be Chief Exec of a football club? 

• Haha 2

Â