Christian Purslow

villan-scott

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yes. He has managed for 30 years amd has bottled many times. If he doesn't bottle it this season then it will be a rare example of keeping his bottle 

If covid hadnt struck they would have bottled it. Bielsa's teams always suffer towards the end. 3 month break has refreshed them.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So you also agree it was Jack that got us promoted and saved Smith? 

There should be quotations around that sentence. I was merely quoting what has been put on this site to prove how in black and white it was.

11 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

There should be quotations around that sentence. I was merely quoting what has been put on this site to prove how in black and white it was.

That's others opinions on the matter though.. I merely comment and state on what I see and have witnessed and I stand by that.

Hopefully that has clarified things better.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's others opinions on the matter though.. I merely comment and state on what I see and have witnessed and I stand by that.

Hopefully that has clarified things better.

Yep, I've gone back and read through and realised what I said too! Makes sense now, sorry bud!

The players that are coming in, are known, or have worked with Dean Smith or the club before. We’re being highly strategic – it’s not collect a footballer. I think that will stand us in good stead.

Dean thinks we should win every game of football. He thinks if they score three, we’ll score four.

Be ready guys, he’s not going to go away at Manchester City and try and play for a nil-nil. Every game is play to win. We want to surprise people outside of the club. Nobody at the club believes we’re going to go straight back down – I think we’re going to have a fantastic season.

Under A Gaslitlamp

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, useless said:

The players that are coming in, are known, or have worked with Dean Smith or the club before. We’re being highly strategic – it’s not collect a footballer. I think that will stand us in good stead.

Dean thinks we should win every game of football. He thinks if they score three, we’ll score four.

Be ready guys, he’s not going to go away at Manchester City and try and play for a nil-nil. Every game is play to win. We want to surprise people outside of the club. Nobody at the club believes we’re going to go straight back down – I think we’re going to have a fantastic season.

Under A Gaslitlamp

Well what was he going to say- it's going to be a long arduous season with a good chance that we will go straight back down again? Renew your season ticket now! He is a salesman. 

• Like 2

Has to take a fair chunk of the blame for putting such blind faith in Suso imo, and his policy re: loans.

It has to be said that the premiership only allows you two loan slots at any one time so it wouldn't have been a game changer but with the rebuild we needed we should have been maxing that quota with he best two loans we could get out hands on. Anything to take a bit of pressure off the ridiculous rebuild we needed to perform.

He made a big song a dance at the end of the season about how loaning players was a terrible business model and how we weren't going to that in the future, because teams say, ‘Well, you improved them so now pay more" (i.e. like with Mings). However, we would've finished bottom half of the championship without Tammy, Axel and Mings so you can't moan that much when they do 'too well'.  Not saying it would have improved us that much but to dismiss it out of hand was naive and perhaps an indicator of the cockiness regarding recruitment and the difficulty of the premier league.

23 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Has to take a fair chunk of the blame for putting such blind faith in Suso imo, and his policy re: loans.

It has to be said that the premiership only allows you two loan slots at any one time so it wouldn't have been a game changer but with the rebuild we needed we should have been maxing that quota with he best two loans we could get out hands on. Anything to take a bit of pressure off the ridiculous rebuild we needed to perform.

He made a big song a dance at the end of the season about how loaning players was a terrible business model and how we weren't going to that in the future, because teams say, ‘Well, you improved them so now pay more" (i.e. like with Mings). However, we would've finished bottom half of the championship without Tammy, Axel and Mings so you can't moan that much when they do 'too well'.  Not saying it would have improved us that much but to dismiss it out of hand was naive and perhaps an indicator of the cockiness regarding recruitment and the difficulty of the premier league.

Totally agreed. We could and should have looked at the loan system more closely when we got promoted. We definitely need to be looking at it when we're relegated as the money we get for the likes of Grealish and McGinn will need to go straight back into the club to cover our losses. I don't see us having a great deal of money to spend in the summer.

Also, look at Ben White (Leeds) and Pereira (Albion). Two of the best players in the championship this season. Both are loans. To write off the loan market because you think it doesnt help a squad is nonsensical and arrogant. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, useless said:

Under A Gaslitlamp

Exactly what he should be saying and what I'd expect the message from the club to be only a couple of months after winning at wembley. Not sure it means much though. 

The fact they thought our recruitment was highly strategic negates most of what he says there for me. 

Edited by DCJonah

I think I am going to be more interested in what happens next when the sh*t hits the fan and we go down. That will be a real test for Mr Purslow. Can he manage a immediate return, or are we to crash and burn through yet another chief exec? 

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Someone pointed out to me this morning that Liverpool fans haven’t got a good thing to say about Purslow. Apparently he was part of the problem during the Hicks and Gillett era and totally full of himself. Even ages after he’d left he still referred to Liverpool as “his club”. He sounds like a complete charlatan. 

Small alarm bells started ringing in the back of my mind when I saw him on the edge of the pitch slapping players on the back. Good CEOs quietly work away behind the scenes. 

We can moan about Dean Smith, and I’m not giving him a free pass, but he’s the latest in a long line of managers who have worked with one hand tied behind their backs. 

We’re not being run like a big club and until we are we won’t be going anywhere fast. The owners seem to have got a structure in place and have plenty of money, but if the personnel aren’t right then the structure counts for nothing. They need to step up and prove that they didn’t just fancy owning an important and historic football club as a play thing but want to run the club and make it successful now and in the future. 

The honeymoon period is over and the football world is watching. 

Edited by DaveAV1

My only concern with Purslow is is he ambitious enough in his thinking or will he alway go with the safe option ?

Not knowing the parts each plays or to what degree I find it difficult to criticise Purslow and Suso as much as smith as I can see each match day issues with Smith. That’s not to say he is fully at fault but his position is easier to quantify in terms of job emit and therefore easier to criticise. Probs unfair but oh well... 

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

My only concern with Purslow is is he ambitious enough in his thinking or will he alway go with the safe option ?

Not knowing the parts each plays or to what degree I find it difficult to criticise Purslow and Suso as much as smith as I can see each match day issues with Smith. That’s not to say he is fully at fault but his position is easier to quantify in terms of job emit and therefore easier to criticise. Probs unfair but oh well... 

I think he’s personally ambitious. Whether that involves us is another matter. I think he likes the limelight but will find someone to point fingers at when the going gets tough. 

I can’t remember another CEO doing a TV interview alongside the manager in the aftermath of a winning playoff final. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Someone pointed out to me this morning that Liverpool fans haven’t got a good thing to say about Purslow. Apparently he was part of the problem during the Hicks and Gillett era and totally full of himself. Even ages after he’d left he still referred to Liverpool as “his club”. He sounds like a complete charlatan. 

Small alarm bells started ringing in the back of my mind when I saw him on the edge of the pitch slapping players on the back. Good CEOs quietly work away behind the scenes. 

We can moan about Dean Smith, and I’m not giving him a free pass, but he’s the latest in a long line of managers who have worked with one hand tied behind their backs. 

We’re not being run like a big club and until we are we won’t be going anywhere fast. The owners seem to have got a structure in place and have plenty of money, but if the personnel aren’t right then the structure counts for nothing. They need to step up and prove that they didn’t just fancy owning an important and historic football club as a play thing but want to run the club and make it successful now and in the future. 

Liverpool fans hate the guy and it's worrying when you start to think the same could start to happen here.

I hope the owners are very hands on and keeping a close eye.

Between him and Suso, they have not done a very good job this season!

As it's been pointed out already Dave, there's more going on higher up the levels that is making the eyebrows raise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

This stuff is really worrying.

He talks a good game but this season has been an utter failure and he has played a big part in that.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This stuff is really worrying.

Indeed it is. In fact Purslow sacked Rafa, I’m surprised you haven’t arranged a hit on him by now! 😃

Additionally Rafa was rather uncomplimentary about Suso when they worked together. He said I’d ask him to get me a sofa and he’d buy me a lamp! 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Indeed it is. In fact Purslow sacked Rafa, I’m surprised you haven’t arranged a hit on him by now! 😃

Additionally Rafa was rather uncomplimentary about Suso when they worked together. He said I’d ask him to get me a sofa and he’d buy me a lamp! 

I've already said plenty of times i would gladly get rid of Purslow if we got a chance in landing Rafa.

• Thanks 1

Â