Christian Purslow

villan-scott

18 minutes ago, Graham t said:

There is absolutely no point in keeping a 20 year old on the books if he isn't knocking on the 1st team door by that age. They will have had a professional contract for the last 4 years and all the coaching that goes with it.  There is little or no further development to look forward to. Tough ,I know, but true.

ATB

VLD.

Yes but how do you get them off the books? By selling or loaning them

What's the best way for them to be sold or loaned? By performing well so teams want them.

What's some of the best ways to get then to perform well? Motivation and man management.

What's a good way to totally demotivate a player? Tell all of them they're not good enough.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay cool, let’s just keep paying mediocre players to linger then, eating into budgets that could be spent elsewhere.

Fair enough for the existing crop it’s not good news but we aren’t a charity, for the next crop coming through they’ll know the parameters.

Its the problem with change, there’s always resistance.

The next crop will know if they're not quite good enough they'll all be told they're shit and not needed.

Bet they can't wait.

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

How many young players have we sold? 

Most young players, having been identified as unlikely to make it at the top, are released.

If they have anything about them they then reforge a career either in the lower leagues or in some cases, non-league (Vardy, Mings).

We’re not going to be getting fees for these kids and more to the point, they won’t be anywhere near the first team so how does it matter/impact their performance.

Its crazy really that you’re getting so irate over this, it’s like you don’t want us to get better at identifying which of our youth players will make it to the first team, potentially.

Aside from being a bit of a kick in the teeth to the current batch of players in this position (none of which are anywhere near the first team) I can’t see the negative

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes but how do you get them off the books? By selling or loaning them

What's the best way for them to be sold or loaned? By performing well so teams want them.

What's some of the best ways to get then to perform well? Motivation and man management.

What's a good way to totally demotivate a player? Tell all of them they're not good enough.

The thing is Steve is that young players have to be mentally tough to survive in a professional football club environment . If they are not then they are in the wrong profession. As others have said , it's not tiddlywinks.

Regards,

VLD.

I don’t have the slightest problem with what Purslow has said about 21/23 year olds still playing for the U23’s. Purslow knows it, the players themselves know it and most of the fans know it too.

If those players lose motivation by being told the truth then they aren’t the right character to prove anyone wrong, as well as already being behind the required performance  curve.  

Our academy aren’t shy to tell young players the truth about their prospects (or lack of) and plenty of once highly rated junior pros are released unceremoniously. It’s quite cut-throat and they all know what’s coming.

Players in their twenties playing for our U23s because they're not good enough for the first team or good enough that another team will want them on loan, won't be on long contracts anyway, so it won't be a question of selling them, they just get released at the end of their contracts, as has happened with Lyden, McKirdy, Knibbs, Blackett-Taylor, Mooney and so on. I think people are misunderstanding Purslow's comments anyway, he's not saying that if youth products are in their twenties then it means they're not good enough, he's saying that if they're playing for our U23s at that age then they're probably won't be good enough, the ones sent out on loan will still be deemed to have a chance.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Graham t said:

The thing is Steve is that young players have to be mentally tough to survive in a professional football club environment . If they are not then they are in the wrong profession. As others have said , it's not tiddlywinks.

Regards,

VLD.

You don't get it. Let's agree to disagree

10 minutes ago, Elton said:

I don’t have the slightest problem with what Purslow has said about 21/23 year olds still playing for the U23’s. Purslow knows it, the players themselves know it and most of the fans know it too.

If those players lose motivation by being told the truth then they aren’t the right character to prove anyone wrong, as well as already being behind the required performance  curve.  

Our academy aren’t shy to tell young players the truth about their prospects (or lack of) and plenty of once highly rated junior pros are released unceremoniously. It’s quite cut-throat and they all know what’s coming.

I don't have a problem with him saying it because we know what he meant.

But I think it's fair enough for a current player of that age to have a bit of an issue with the current Chief Executive of the club saying players like him aren't good enough

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't have a problem with him saying it because we know what he meant.

But I think it's fair enough for a current player of that age to have a bit of an issue with the current Chief Executive of the club saying players like him aren't good enough

Of course, the truth hurts sometimes but I don’t think there is a downside for Villa. If anything the message might get through to those a little younger of what is required to make it.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He kind of has a point though to be fair.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Purslow and I think he's saying all the right stuff.

But that is a bit of a kick in the teeth for those guys currently playing at that level.

I may be wrong but I don’t think we have any players that age playing for the U23’s do we? They are all out on loan. 

The most interesting thing that he said about the academy hasn't even been picked upon, and that was that the U23 team is now below the U18 team. Not sure how that's going to work, but interesting also that the U18 manager Richard Beale has now left the club, and we're reportedly looking for a new manager for the U23s too, so looks like there's going to some sort of major restructuring going on.

I think Jack Clarke is the only player in his twenties playing for the U23s, pretty sure most of the others are eighteen or under. Clarke will probably leave in the summer, pity he couldn't get a loan move, has looked quite a decent player the few times I've seen him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Is that a comment or has your head hit the keyboard?

Probably the latter. I can’t really remember. 

(His name isn’t Steve, you see.) 

20 minutes ago, useless said:

The most interesting thing that he said about the academy hasn't even been picked upon, and that was that the U23 team is now below the U18 team. Not sure how that's going to work, but interesting also that the U18 manager Richard Beale has now left the club, and we're reportedly looking for a new manager for the U23s too, so looks like there's going to some sort of major restructuring going on.

The u23 team isnt below the u18 team?, unless you mean that the u23 team now comes under the academy, which now oversee the u18 and u23, if thats what you mean?

• Like 1

Â