Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

8 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I have a feeling that he is going to flourish under DS.

DS likes his wingers to cut inside with good technical ability.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I thought brice poorly managed him. He didn't play him consistently enough 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I thought brice poorly managed him. He didn't play him consistently enough 

Anwar was far to attacking minded for Bruce.  He realised that and dropped him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Anwar was far to attacking minded for Bruce.  He realised that and dropped him.

He did make some sloppy mistakes that directly led to goals against Sheffield United and Burton if I remember. I think it was the kind of thing that happens when someone is getting up to speed. Bruce's decision in similar moments is to bomb the person out. Having said that, I'm not sure if that's completely true—it's just what it looked like to me.

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

He did make some sloppy mistakes that directly led to goals against Sheffield United and Burton if I remember. I think it was the kind of thing that happens when someone is getting up to speed. Bruce's decision in similar moments is to bomb the person out. Having said that, I'm not sure if that's completely true—it's just what it looked like to me.

Every time I saw him play it looked like he was being asked to play about 30 yards too deep.  He's a proper winger, not a midfielder.

No issues with asking him to track back, but he should be coming from a forward position to bolster the midfield, not from a midfield position to give us two right backs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If DS goes with the same formation as he did at Brentford, I think El-Ghazi would suit playing the same role as Sergi Canos did for them.

Think he'll predominantly play on that right side of the attacking midfield 3, Kodjia the left and Bolasie rotating through both wide spots to such an extent that all three get equal game time.  Adomah probably getting less minutes as a fourth option.

1689349025_ScreenShot2018-10-18at12_03_29.png.5b6f44c30d67bd691e7b434a9f9593fb.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

If DS goes with the same formation as he did at Brentford, I think El-Ghazi would suit playing the same role as Sergi Canos did for them.

Think he'll predominantly play on that right side of the attacking midfield 3, Kodjia the left and Bolasie rotating through both wide spots to such an extent that all three get equal game time.  Adomah probably getting less minutes as a fourth option.

1689349025_ScreenShot2018-10-18at12_03_29.png.5b6f44c30d67bd691e7b434a9f9593fb.png

Hourihane should start, has a better end product in terms of assists and especially goals.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KHV said:

Hourihane should start, has a better end product in terms of assists and especially goals.

Hopefully, we now have a manager who takes basic performance metrics like this into account.

Dreaming of attacking football... from time 2 time at least, UTV!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I think your rite and think Dean will notice that and Hourihane will love it.

Think Dean will have headaches with all the options available as most of our guys have been begging for some proper tactics that were not their under bruce.

Bruce was so willing to drop guys, get rid of them and it must of been easy for bruce to select a team with how he goes off, Dean however will want to give everyone the chance to impress and they are going to want to do that.

I'm dieing to know what the formation and line-up is, against swansea wish I could go to the game, is it being televised at least???

55 minutes ago, villakram said:

Hopefully, we now have a manager who takes basic performance metrics like this into account.

Dreaming of attacking football... from time 2 time at least, UTV!

Think we all have been dreaming of it for such a long time that it is in fact very wet the thoughts of it..

Bet our players are foaming at the mouth, homer simpson style.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Hourihane for Whelan then in that line up. Looks very tasty indeed once you do that. 

I don't think we need an destroyer/screening/defensive midfielder in that formation either, there's two deeper lying midfielders for a start. If we work better as a coherent unit off the ball, there's less need for one man to take on the role of getting the ball back and breaking stuff up to protect the central defenders. Plus, if you look at the line up they are pretty much all good enough, when the movements start to get drilled into them and having a couple of players in space every time someone is on the ball is automatic, to keep the ball really well. The more we have the ball the less we need a specific role in midfield devoted to getting it back. 

That said, we're still very light in central defence, especially if we get one or two injuries there, so having one of the two deeper midifelders who isn't lost in a centre backs territory might be a bonus. Not sure that's Whelan though either.

Am I correct in assuming we have a buy option on El Ghazi at the end of his loan?

I was really hoping he would make a big impact, do you all think it's because he's not shown enough to be picked or that he was just too talented for Bruce to pick?? (What I mean by too talented to be honest is did he not track back and defend enough for Bruces liking?)

I am hopeful he can become an integral part of the team if he has the ability....then we can take up the buy option :)

honestly though the thought of him, grealish and bolasie as a trio behind a striker,  looks quite scary on paper.

Edited by MaVilla

11 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Why on earth do people keep shoe-horning Kodjia on the wing in line ups. That's Bruce ball. 

• Like 3

On 06/10/2018 at 14:53, lexicon said:

To curry favour with Mendes, obviously. 

On 06/10/2018 at 20:07, dounavilla said:

Will make the player Mad(rass).

Not sure why a Dutch person with Moroccan heritage is the butt of curry jokes? I don't get it, maybe because hes moved to Aston where there's more curries than Holland and Morocco combined? 

Going to have to help me out here..

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Not sure why a Dutch person with Moroccan heritage is the butt of curry jokes? I don't get it, maybe because hes moved to Aston where there's more curries than Holland and Morocco combined? 

Going to have to help me out here..

My comment was just word play on a simple auto-correct error. Nothing to do with El G or where he is from.

13 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why on earth do people keep shoe-horning Kodjia on the wing in line ups. That's Bruce ball. 

Again, it's something we learned 2 years ago. I wouldn't want to be the person playing left back when Kodjia is left wing.

Â