Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Harsh that he did not get gameplay today, but I expect we wont see him again until he plays like Adomah, as in defende equally or more that he attacks. 

This. Thought he had shown enough to warrant a place, but we're consistently more concerned with defending.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:
The lad's probably been our best player last few games and gets dropped!

Very unwarranted! Good people skills Stephen Roger Bruce.

Could it be his twitter (or whatever it was) line about not having seen Bruce in person at trainings?

Or his name just didn't get drawn out of the hat this time.

Just now, sne said:

Could it be his twitter (or whatever it was) line about not having seen Bruce in person at trainings?

Or his name just didn't get drawn out of the hat this time.

Few people in various places over the net have said apparently that he told them at that "Meet & Greet" at Villa Village that he hasn't seen Bruce for 2 weeks on International break and all the coaches took the sessions instead! not sure if true but sounds like could be!!

• Like 2

Maybe Bruce has been feeling a bit unwell so the owners afforded him a break? If so,no big deal and I can live with that because that's what he has backroom staff for. But, I think it's crazy not to have played El Ghazi after the start he's made to his Villa career. What message does that send out to the lad? 

My old man said to me yesterday he thinks he chose to start Adomah so he can protect Taylor. Said it all really. Aston Villa in the Championship starting a winger so that he can support his international fullback against a team just promoted from league 1, instead of playing a winger who can get at them offensively. ?‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, avfcwills10 said:

My old man said to me yesterday he thinks he chose to start Adomah so he can protect Taylor. Said it all really. Aston Villa in the Championship starting a winger so that he can support his international fullback against a team just promoted from league 1, instead of playing a winger who can get at them offensively. ?‍♂️

He is probably right. Sure even then we had Elmo protecting Hutton in same way. Bruce has no positive initiative  

I can’t beleive what I’m reading on this thread. Please watch the Sheff United game and see how many times he gave the ball away. How many times he failed to track back. How many times he gave needless free kicks away which lead to goals. 

Apparently he was one of our best players though because he scored a goal. 

Sometimes I think I must be watching a different game. 

On 15/09/2018 at 19:31, Chicken Field said:

Harsh that he did not get gameplay today, but I expect we wont see him again until he plays like Adomah, as in defende equally or more that he attacks. 

Every top winger tracks back and defends to help his team. It’s nothing to do with being defensive. It’s working for the team. 

He hasn’t been doing it. He needs to start doing it.

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Every top winger tracks back and defends to help his team. It’s nothing to do with being defensive. It’s working for the team. 

He hasn’t been doing it. He needs to start doing it.

One thing is tracking back when necesarry, especially if defending a narrow lead. But our wingers spend more time defending than attacking, teams don't play like that anymore. No player in the world has the energy level to defend deep and then take players on at the other side of the pitch. Fatigue ruins the thinking process. You don't see the wingers at top teams defend as much as ours. Liverpool, City, Chelsea and I could mentioned nearly all of the premier league teams usually have 3 players up top who spend majority of the time up top and when defending, it is putting pressure on the other teams defense to win the ball back up high. Our wingers stand next to our fullbacks and are expected to counter whenever we win it back. We defend with 11 players in our final thrid, its much to defensive, teams don't do that anymore. 

• Like 4

I thought he did fine first half and then disappeared second half. In his defence I think he struggled to know what to do when we stopped stringing any kind of passes through the midfield and it was all about challenging for second balls. I dont imagine he's had to do that much playing for Ajax and Lille. 

First half he looked pacy, had bit of a trick about him and put in a couple of decent crosses. 

He looks like he needs time to adjust to league but given his attributes I'm very confident he'll contribute well for us this season. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

I thought he did fine first half and then disappeared second half. In his defence I think he struggled to know what to do when we stopped stringing any kind of passes through the midfield and it will all about challenging for second balls. I dont imagine he's had to do that much playing for Ajax and Lille. 

First half he looked pacy, had bit of a trick about him and put in a couple of decent crosses. 

He looks like he needs time to adjust to league but given his attributes I'm very confident he'll contribute well for us this season. 

Same for me. I like him.

It takes time to adjust to our `style' of football.

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is his name 'Anwar' like the thread title, or 'Awar', which was what was on the big screen when he was substituted?

Anyway, whatever his name is, I didn't think he was up to much tonight. 

Its Anwar. Which is coming from the arabic word (Noor) which is (Light). I’m not sure how to translate it perfectly but (Anwar) means (has been lighten). 

Anyway I hope that (Noor) is back soon to Villa Park again. ☺️

My opinion about Anwar is that he has the ability but we’re still not playing a proper attacking football. After I saw Blackburn game second half I’ve said that we’re getting to play like last season (which is ok in general). Bruce got the best possible squad last night. We would now play either Axel or Mile depending on the game.

We will rotate between Bolasie, Anwar and Kodjia I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â