John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I have been watching SJM since he was with St.Mirren. Without doubt, that is the best performance I have seen in any jersey that he has had on. Magnificent from start to finish. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Another mammoth performance tonight.  Definitely misused by Smith.  I'm no expert but Gerrard is so will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes for him.

He’s had mammoth like performances under Smith. His problem is that he has no consistency and can veer from absolutely outstanding top 4 PL performances to championship performances within a week

• Like 4

You'll never get the best out of mcGinn if you play him as a 6 and that has been of Delano's primary limitations, he tried to accommodate as many of his best players even if it meant not being able to get the best out of them.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I really can only see us going with a midfield of a 6 and 2 8s, which would mean two of Ings, Watkins, Traore, Buendia and Bailey would be sacrificed. If we go for two 6s I can really only see Luiz and Nakamba there, but would McGinn work as a 10 in the prem?

49 minutes ago, WooJung said:

You'll never get the best out of mcGinn if you play him as a 6 and that has been of Delano's primary limitations, he tried to accommodate as many of his best players even if it meant not being able to get the best out of them.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I really can only see us going with a midfield of a 6 and 2 8s, which would mean two of Ings, Watkins, Traore, Buendia and Bailey would be sacrificed. If we go for two 6s I can really only see Luiz and Nakamba there, but would McGinn work as a 10 in the prem?

Smith played him as a 10 at times and he was completely anonymous 

• Like 1

Astounding performance from McGinn, tonight. I think he could thrive under Gerrard. He had become somewhat shackled, or so it seemed, when playing for us in the last two seasons. I would give him the armband, and I believe he would relish the responsibility that comes with it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, thunderball said:

But he has been poor for us for two years, I do think Gerrard will find the “international McGinn”

He hasn't been poor for us but he certainly hasn't hit the heights we feel he can and it is very frustrating.

38 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

He hasn't been poor for us but he certainly hasn't hit the heights we feel he can and it is very frustrating.

Poor might be a little harsh but if we're looking at the last 2 years as a whole, it certainly hasn't been good. 

If Gerrard is what he's made out to be, then he's either going to get a better work rate out of him or he'll drop him for a better option. 

• Like 1

Â