John McGinn

PompeyVillan

8 hours ago, WHY said:

I like McGinn both as a player but especially as a person, genuinely seems a good bloke. It’s hard for me to say this but wouldn’t be massively bothered if Newcastle came in for him in Jan, think we could cope without him and have Newcastle’s trousers down at the same time. They will be desperate, think we could get £30 odd million for him. He’s the type of player they will look at and their fans would welcome it, if they thought they were getting one over on us.

We need midfielders as it is without shipping out one of our only competent ones. I’d be looking to add more strength into midfield to allow McGinn to play his game more effectively.

I think McGinn more than anybody (bar Dean Smith) has suffered from our lack of investment in the midfield over the summer. Missing Douglas Luiz means that we just don’t have the players to field a Premier League level midfield at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

We need midfielders as it is without shipping out one of our only competent ones. I’d be looking to add more strength into midfield to allow McGinn to play his game more effectively.

I think McGinn more than anybody (bar Dean Smith) has suffered from our lack of investment in the midfield over the summer. Missing Douglas Luiz means that we just don’t have the players to field a Premier League level midfield at the moment.

Funnily enough, I agree with you and the who you replied to (WHY).

I do feel that Mcginn is sellable, and a offer of 30 million or more before add ons I would accept.

However Mcginn and Luiz are our best central midfielders at the minute. So bringing in a midfielder of (preferably) higher quality, that complements Luiz and Mcginn would certainly improve us a lot. 

For me though Carney Chukwuemeka and Tim Iroegbunam are the future, both massive talents. So I would seriously be considering those two youngbloods alongside Luiz as a viable starting midfield 3. While it would probably make our midfield slightly weaker comparatively (in the short term). Give it a season and they could become a revelation. 

The point I'm making is you are right our best midfield right now includes both Mcginn and Luiz. But we have 3 young central midfielders all who could well be better than Mcginn in a couple of seasons. So I guess it's about where our priorities lie.

Personally I'd be prepping Iroegbunam, Chukwuemeka, Aaron Ramsey, and Kessler to be first team regulars next season. They are the standouts of our under 23's and could be a revelation.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Just put him furthest forward of the three so he can do his Scotland thing.

I'd even go further and make him captain, I like Mings but he needs to concentrate on being a defender, he doesn't seem like a captain to me, McGinn regardless of his faults is always giving his all, we do play him to deep, maybe with Gerrard as manager he will play further forward and make the late runs into the box, just like what Gerrard was renowned for. 

I think McGinn is one of our biggest problems. He is a decent player so it masks the need to get a better play in that area as on the surface you look at it and say he is ok but my problem is he is a 12-15 position in the league team level player so pushing on with mcginn as the leader of our midfield is always going to leave us looking up rather than down the league.

I do like him as a bloke though 

On 10/11/2021 at 09:16, Wainy316 said:

Just put him furthest forward of the three so he can do his Scotland thing.

problem with McGinn is he's too much of a jack of all trades.

He isnt good enough to be a dedicated no. 6, but he also isnt good enough going forward to be picked over proper forward players who can hold and pass the ball.

Will be interesting to see how the next 6 months go for him.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:23, Philosopher said:

Funnily enough, I agree with you and the who you replied to (WHY).

I do feel that Mcginn is sellable, and a offer of 30 million or more before add ons I would accept.

However Mcginn and Luiz are our best central midfielders at the minute. So bringing in a midfielder of (preferably) higher quality, that complements Luiz and Mcginn would certainly improve us a lot. 

For me though Carney Chukwuemeka and Tim Iroegbunam are the future, both massive talents. So I would seriously be considering those two youngbloods alongside Luiz as a viable starting midfield 3. While it would probably make our midfield slightly weaker comparatively (in the short term). Give it a season and they could become a revelation. 

The point I'm making is you are right our best midfield right now includes both Mcginn and Luiz. But we have 3 young central midfielders all who could well be better than Mcginn in a couple of seasons. So I guess it's about where our priorities lie.

Personally I'd be prepping Iroegbunam, Chukwuemeka, Aaron Ramsey, and Kessler to be first team regulars next season. They are the standouts of our under 23's and could be a revelation.

Nobody's offering 30m for McGinn, come on. 

34 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

problem with McGinn is he's too much of a jack of all trades.

He isnt good enough to be a dedicated no. 6, but he also isnt good enough going forward to be picked over proper forward players who can hold and pass the ball.

Will be interesting to see how the next 6 months go for him.

shame he's not a Jack Grealish of all trades, am i right?

No?

I'll get me coat

• Haha 1

I defo agree that he doesnt have the discipline at no 6 . He chases the ball too much all over the pitch . I would play him at number 10 but because our midfield is so light in terms of numbers and strength we will have no choice to play him further back. 

21 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I defo agree that he doesnt have the discipline at no 6 . He chases the ball too much all over the pitch . I would play him at number 10 but because our midfield is so light in terms of numbers and strength we will have no choice to play him further back. 

the problem is, i wouldnt play him as a 10 either, he isnt as good on the ball as most of the other players in our squad who could play 10 also.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if McGinn becomes a bit of a squad man next season. I think he is somewhat overrated in here.

Agree wholeheartedly.

We'll see what one of the PL top midfielders makes of him, I'll be really interested to see what happens now...

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

We'll see what one of the PL top midfielders makes of him, I'll be really interested to see what happens now...

I think his problem is getting caught out of possession way too often for a midfielder.

Seem to think he has way too much time on the ball.

They maybe be able to coach it out of him we'll see but I think the likes of Ramsey is a far greater talent.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

I think he’s going to have the rug pulled from under him, I don’t see Gerrard accepting under performances 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's not only getting caught in possession but also his distribution, he just drops us in it repeatedly.

Not sure if that can be coached but we will see...

I'm just really looking forward to no favorites.

I know all managers tends to have them but at least in the beginning there will be none.

Â