John McGinn

PompeyVillan

46 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I absolutely can. What do you call it if a player doesn't track his man and hasn't done so for the last 3 games. (and probably more but I have been very aware of it for those games) 

I call it 'tired' like I said.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

I call it 'tired' like I said.

Disagree. He is tired but he wastes his energy chasing after a ball in front of him because if he wins it he could maybe score. But then he doesn't track back and leaves men free on the edge of the area. 

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Disagree. He is tired but he wastes his energy chasing after a ball in front of him because if he wins it he could maybe score. But then he doesn't track back and leaves men free on the edge of the area. 

Well, no doubt he gets instructions from DS and I guess he must be  following those instructions otherwise he wouldnt be selected for every game. I still put it down to tiredness. Either that or his not managing his role in the correct manner so does DS shoulder some of the b!ame?

33 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Well, no doubt he gets instructions from DS and I guess he must be  following those instructions otherwise he wouldnt be selected for every game. I still put it down to tiredness. Either that or his not managing his role in the correct manner so does DS shoulder some of the b!ame?

Of course. I posted it in the Smith thread that I felt we were reverting back to how we played last year with mcginn basically as a second striker which just doesn't work. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He just seems so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet lately. 

Yep, agreed. I think his confidence is shot. He no doubt knows that his performances are below par. I would prefer him to play in the position that Barkley currently occupied with Sanson and Luiz behind him. 

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think he is struggling playing with Barkley more than anything, his form when Barkley was out was very good. The 2 of them in midfield is a poor partnership

Agreed 100%

9 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

I don’t like this either. Seems like such a waste of energy. I think the idea is we are meant to press as a team but it seems to end up Mcginn being bypassed, Barkley just strolling about and Luiz left isolated.   I’d prefer to see Mcginn stay next to Luiz like earlier in the season. 

I would be thinking about resting him on Saturday. He's played a lot of games; and possibly off the back of having Covid.

We've seen it before where he's rested for a week and comes back revitalised.

I would be bringing Nakamba in for him to sit next to Luiz on Saturday; with eith Sanson playing in front as a CM/CAM or Grealish playing CAM and Traore & El Ghazi either side.

He’s a top player, fatigued and possibly struggling with lost conditioning during isolation / illness. Not much more to it than that. There’s a reason we’ve signed Sanson in the January window. Hopefully that will give him a chance to get some rest and get back into form.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He’s a top player, fatigued and possibly struggling with lost conditioning during isolation / illness. Not much more to it than that. There’s a reason we’ve signed Sanson in the January window. Hopefully that will give him a chance to get some rest and get back into form.

Yup, he was on top form before the illness. Absolutely bossed the midfield against Chelsea. He's a player that needs to be 100% to be effective. If he's off even by a little, he looks a shadow of the player he can be.

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

I want John McGinn back challenging goalkeepers for high balls he's got no business winning.

How important was that goal looking back. Prob would have gone to extra time and pens.

Don't even go there 😂, game got stopped just after the goal if I recall, the McGinn chant was as loud as I have ever heard anything in my life 

• Like 3

Â