John McGinn

PompeyVillan

23 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

The breaks do him no good. Whether it is injuries, COVID (not saying he had it) or starting a new season. He always takes a few games to get into his stride. He'll be back to himself soon.

Was just about to post the same. He plays himself into form - I fear for him if he is in and out of the team.

Personally I think Traroe should be the midfielder to step down.

33 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

I thought each individual Villa player had to work incredibly hard last night in an intense and enthralling game.  As a team however they got overrun in midfield.  I think SJM is being asked to do too much and is also being played out of position: last season he was too far advanced, now he is being asked to play too deep, though admittedly, in that position, he still put in some important blocks: one in the first half outside the box, and another in added time in the 6 yard box.  Both he and Douglas were pinned back doing more defensive duties, and the ease with which Southampton carved a swathe through the midfield seemed to me more due to Traore and Barclay being fairly anonymous.  I really hope this guy Sanson solves the problem for Villa and dominates central midfield.  If so, Villa should end up having the great season they deserve.  If that means leaving SJM out, as many posters here seem to be arguing, then I really hope, for his sake, that SJM moves on to a club where he can finally return to the left-sided central midfield position he made his own at Easter Road.  

I think the transfer of Sanson allows us the option of a more flat midfield 3. I reckon McGinn performs better in that system. He ain’t going nowhere. One of smiths favourites and rightly so as he’s integral to everything good about Villa this season and last. We’re accommodating Barkley but I think McGinn is good enough to offer that flexibility. Just tough game Soton, they press and tackle extremely well, especially combative in middle. Also, as you say, we were basically overrun there. So him and Luiz were overwhelmed. We won though, so there’s that. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mcginns not been the same for since he got injured.  He has shown some glimpses but nowhere near where he was

He was a good in December but gone really flat again, break with covid seemed to have disrupted his rhythm.

I'd certainly be starting Trez AND Sanson on Saturday so DS got a big call to make and leave out one of Barkley or McGinn to fit those two in as I'd also keep Traore in. Indeed both wouldn't start for me in that scenario as I'd have Doug and Sanson sitting and then Jack- Traore-Trez in the three behind Ollie.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He really has lost a yard of pace and then some since he came back after injury. Shadow. Gets away with it still as he has a great ping,  and is clever but he is really struggling.

You're right he is a clever footballer but he is missing that yard of sharpness and acceleration away that he had.

Something missing from his game. I also agree that the system with Barkley in doesn't suit. I think with Barkley in the team McGinn has to sit deeper. And cover far more space in and around Luiz. He's losing much of his forward play due to Barkley's lack of defensive duties. That's how I'm seeing it. His impact in forward areas is poor this year by his standards and funny enough his form was getting better with Barkley out the side. 

• Like 4

Drop barkley, push mcginn forward, and put sansom in his old place, and I think we'd see a resurgence and a totally different mcginn. Plus if were not 100% sure were signing barkley, its better to see how Jack, mcginn and sansom can play together for next season

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

So lazy as well. He never tracks his man properly. When watching the game it is so frustrating when he sprints out of position to press by himself then doesn't bother to actually try and get back.

I don't think anyone can describe McGinn as 'lazy' ....tired yes, but never lazy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa 59 said:

I don't think anyone can describe McGinn as 'lazy' ....tired yes, but never lazy

I absolutely can. What do you call it if a player doesn't track his man and hasn't done so for the last 3 games. (and probably more but I have been very aware of it for those games) 

Â