John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I didn’t think he was that bad. Gave the ball away quite a bit but the players in front of him didn’t give him much to work with. He at least tries to move play forwards and was noticeably better when Barkley went off.

McGinn and Luiz were good off the ball. With none of the front four looking like making anything stick I’m not sure what more he could do. McGinn, Luiz and Sanson against Leicester for me. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Which of our midfielders is scoring goals right now?

Barkley scored two weeks ago v Southampton. McGinn would probably start scoring again if we played him as pure number 10 although really he hasn't looked a consistant goal threat for 18 months now.

I'm just giving reasons why DS finds both undroppable in his mind as there are obviously reasons and it's not like today was the first poor game either have had in months.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Another average performance, drop him and Barkley.

Marvelous

Luiz             Sanson

Would offer much more!

Or possibly, for next week:

Luiz

Trez    Sanson   Grealish    El Ghazi

Watkins

to shake things up, to be fair to several players waiting in the wings (Sanson, Trez and El Ghazi) and to get a reaction out of McGinn, Barkley and Traore. I'm a big fan of Traore, he's been great overall, he could  come back into  the starting eleven for Leeds.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I'm in the minority that don't think he was *that* bad. He gave the ball away too much, but he also put in some hard defensive work and was trying to make things happen, though not very successfully.

Not averse to him being rotated though.

I think he was the better of the 2 of him and Barkley. As we saw at Christmas we are much better with McGinn on form

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm in the minority that don't think he was *that* bad. He gave the ball away too much, but he also put in some hard defensive work and was trying to make things happen, though not very successfully.

He struggled a bit - I don't think he liked his boots in the first half because his passes were particularly sloppy and he changed them at half time.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That’s the key mate, no one is saying relegate him but rotate him is bang on the money Give him a rest and get him fired up

• Like 2

If Villa have aspirations of challenging for the top 6 the question one needs to ask is would any of the top clubs sign him? If not can he improve enough to play for them? 

The answer to these questions would be the answer everyone is looking for. I think he's a top 8- 12 player but I don't think he's quick enough with the ball (i.e passing) to be a top 6 player. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s not good enough for a team that wants to challenge the top 6/8. 

And that’s coming from someone who really likes John McGinn. 

😞

I agree at the moment with your comment but I believe that top 6/8 player is still in there somewhere

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

😞

This is where I'm at too. I love the guy but for a team with aspirations of top six I don't think he's good enough.

If he's happy to be in and out of the team then great.

Still think Sanson is the natural upgrade on McGinn.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

5) McGinn has been key to Villa’s progress

It’s taken Aston Villa 22 games to record more points than they managed in the whole of last season and a key component in their renaissance has been the central midfield partnership between John McGinn and Douglas Luiz. Even if they were outplayed by Brighton on Saturday, Dean Smith’s side came away with a point thanks to the heroics of Emiliano Martínez to maintain their hopes of playing in Europe next season. But while he was full of praise for the former Arsenal goalkeeper, Smith also acknowledged the influence of Scotland midfielder McGinn in a deeper role than he played last year. “He was making lung-busting runs into the opposition box but this year we’ve changed our system a bit and he has done a really good job in protecting our two centre-halves,” said the Villa manager. “He’s getting better and better after his injury last season.” Ed Aarons

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/feb/15/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-the-weekends-action#comments

On 14/02/2021 at 10:23, Delphinho123 said:

😞

Not in his current role. I think he is if he is further forward. I'd love him to be pressing centre halves with Watkins. 

12 hours ago, turvontour said:

Not in his current role. I think he is if he is further forward. I'd love him to be pressing centre halves with Watkins. 

I wouldn't be against this and I think it would sure up the midfield. 
I'd rather have McGinn play there than Barkley. 

On 14/02/2021 at 10:43, Sulberto21 said:

The answer to these questions would be the answer everyone is looking for. I think he's a top 8- 12 player but I don't think he's quick enough with the ball (i.e passing) to be a top 6 player. 

I sort of agree, I think he's a little too quick with his thinking sometimes though and feels a bit rushed or frantic as a player, but some of that is what makes him what he is. I like him as a player but he's a top 8/12 player as you say or a decent squad player for a top 6 side

• Like 2

Â