John McGinn

PompeyVillan

McGinn started last season well then up to now his form has been inconsistent at best.

I've been saying it for a year now he will hold us back. He is not dynamic enough, too slow, weak and gives the ball away far too much.

Within the first minute of the game against Leicester he gave the ball away, does it every game and yet won't be dropped.

Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey are our best three. Then Nakamba ahead of McGinn in the pecking order.

15 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

McGinn started last season well then up to now his form has been inconsistent at best.

I've been saying it for a year now he will hold us back. He is not dynamic enough, too slow, weak and gives the ball away far too much.

Within the first minute of the game against Leicester he gave the ball away, does it every game and yet won't be dropped.

Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey are our best three. Then Nakamba ahead of McGinn in the pecking order.

That's not strictly true. Fans were asking for him to be rested a few games before he got injured. He doesn't look fit to me.

Edited by mykeyb

He's gone from great 90% of the time to just about OK 40% of the time. The rest he's crap.

Passing range pretty good off both feet but takes a week to get hold of the ball and seems to have decided he can't carry it any more.

Looks like he needs to lose some weight and get some zip into his legs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's gone from great 90% of the time to just about OK 40% of the time. The rest he's crap.

Passing range pretty good off both feet but takes a week to get hold of the ball and seems to have decided he can't carry it any more.

Looks like he needs to lose some weight and get some zip into his legs.

Agree with this.

The whole thing where he sticks his arse into a player and rolls them was fun at first but now he seems to use it all the time just to try and control the ball. 

It seems to take him a couple of minutes to get the ball under control and when he does, he isn’t carrying it like he used to. 

Big fan of McGinn as an individual but we need better. 

17 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Will always be inconsistent/have limitations at this level.

I disagree.

From the start of last season to the injury against Southampton he was every bit the McGinn from the Championship. Looked a nightmare to play against.

He's never really ever got over that injury for me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him reign it in a bit towards May if our season is dying to make sure he doesn't injure himself for the Euros.

Feels like he needs a real month of pre-season to get "fit" again.

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I disagree.

From the start of last season to the injury against Southampton he was every bit the McGinn from the Championship. Looked a nightmare to play against.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him reign it in a bit towards May if our season is dying to make sure he doesn't injure himself for the Euros.

He looked back to his best this season, was playing great for Scotland too but maybe all the games has got to him or he has long covid. I dont know but hes a player who ahs to be 100% fit to be at his best and his best is very very good. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I disagree.

I disagree, way before his injury against Southampton he was poor. He started the season well against Spurs especially but got found out pretty quickly and has consequently had better games and many very poor ones.

His limitations are really costing us this season as he just isn't up to the level.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I disagree, way before his injury against Southampton he was poor. He started the season well against Spurs especially but got found out pretty quickly and has consequently had better games and many very poor ones.

His limitations are really costing us this season as he just isn't up to the level.

Fair enough.

spacer.png

He only played badly in the Wolves, Leicester and Sheff Utd games for me. 

3/17 (18%) bad performances. He was one of our only highlights along with Jack in many many games.

Lots of caveats but not sure we've even got 10% good performances since he came back which is a real shame. Even great wins we've had John looks nothing like before that big injury.

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Big show of faith in him today. Let's hope he repays the faith of the manager.

Would like to see him play further up today but that seems unlikely given Ramsey starts too. Anyway let's hope for the best 🤞 UTV

• Like 1

Coming up to the make or break point for him for me . Love the guy and his attitude but time is coming he steps up his consistency or should lose his place in the team. If we are to progress we need consistent 7/8 each week not 6 out of 10 performances from everyone. 

Cash for Guilbert is a prime example what a step up in class can do to the team and I’d expect McGinn, if he continues his below par inconsistent performances soon be behind Sanson. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Â