Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Can't believe Reinna is held in such high esteem.

He's not. He got dropped because he made a bad error at Leicester. Yesterday should've been a bad error that cost us the game aswell.

Not sure what DS does now as I don't think he's ever been totally convinced by Nyland given we've signed a new keeper in each of the last three transfer windows.

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The handling had nothing to do with it. Yes he didn't claim it above his head but he brought it into his chest as a recovery exactly how he should have. Had he caught it above his head he'd have still been barged into by Davis and the outcome would have been the same.

Again I don't rate the guy. I think he's a crap keeper. But I think people are being harsh on him here.

Exactly how I saw it last night and watching it again pretty much frame by frame today my opinion hasn't changed. He had the ball cleanly and was in control until Davis bumped him. He isn't the only keeper to get caught on crosses like that, in fact I think every keeper I've ever seen has had an issue like that at some point (Ronaldinho v Seaman in WC for one).

Had he pushed it over like I believe he should do for 100% safety, no doubt he would get slated for not catching it. 

I differ from you in that I firmly believe he will turn out to be a very good keeper.

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's dreadful. Utterly dreadful.
He'll go down as a bit of a cult figure because of his performances against Leicester over the two legs, but make no mistake, he's a calamitous waste of space. 
I still can't get over the match against Forest where we drew 5-5 and they only had 5 shots. Last night, I don't even think SU had a shot and he still managed to gift them a goal.

There are plenty of issues outfield right now but we have a massive, massive problem between the sticks. Get Steer back quick. 

People keep mentioning that 5-5 but the only one he was at any real fault for was Lolley's, had that been Conor at the other end we wouldn't say it was poor keeping would we??? 

Yes he got beat near post for the equaliser but it takes a big deflection off Axel 

No goal was conceded, so no fault is attributable. Had fault been attributable then, at worst, it’d be shared between Nyland and Davis. You could argue that Nyland was slightly hesitant in collecting, but he got pushed back over the line by Davis. Anyway, a goal wasn’t conceded and so there’s nothing to wet yourselves about. Get behind ALL the Villa players, rather than constantly picking someone out for “fault”. We could and should have won last night, being only the third home team to beat Sheffield Utd this season. They literally didn’t have a sniff of our goal, didn’t create a single opening from open play. We locked out the much vaunted visitors. We should have had one penalty award, arguably two. Their goalkeeper was awarded MOTM. This was an improved Villa from what we’ve seen previously, and Nyland was a part of that TEAM. Just get behind them and hope for good results. Heaton won’t be playing, Reina has proven a much bigger liability and isn’t even invested into AVFC. 

• Like 2

Communication between Nyland and Davis was the issue here.

If I'm going to point the finger - it's at Davis. You don't barge after a ball facing your own goal that close to the goal line. If Nyland wasn't there, Davis was sure to score.

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

No goal was conceded, so no fault is attributable.

If Jack smashes in a worldy and the ref somehow misses it, are we supposed to pretend it didn’t happen? No we give fair credit to Jack and blame the ref.

Nyland was calamitous for that cross. Blame Davis if you like, but let’s not pretend it didn’t happen just because the ref missed it.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's not. He got dropped because he made a bad error at Leicester. Yesterday should've been a bad error that cost us the game aswell.

Not sure what DS does now as I don't think he's ever been totally convinced by Nyland given we've signed a new keeper in each of the last three transfer windows.

I think if Steer gets fit, he is back in at Number 1

Nyland is either terrible or brilliant, no inbetween. My problem with reina is that he has no motivation to do well. If he makes a clanger ala leicester then so what? He goes back to milan either way.

I think if Steer plays, he has a point to prove as he should feel gutted about bot getting the number 1 after his playoff heroics

• Thanks 1

Nyland is mostly an excellent shot stopper - in that he can make incredibly athletic and seemingly impossible saves. This was on display in buckets v LCFC, and kept us in a game we should have lost. However, he's completely erratic at a lot of the other areas of goalkeeping - judgment of high balls, collecting crosses, organising a defence, distribution etc. At his age, which is not young, I can't see how he will improve on this.

Steer is not as good a shot stopper, and is not top class, but is a much more consistent, balanced keeper. We saw that for the second half of last season. If he is fit and ready, he needs to be number 1, Nyland 2 and Reina 3. And then we'll have Heaton back next season. 

1 hour ago, Enda said:

If Jack smashes in a worldy and the ref somehow misses it, are we supposed to pretend it didn’t happen? No we give fair credit to Jack and blame the ref.

Nyland was calamitous for that cross. Blame Davis if you like, but let’s not pretend it didn’t happen just because the ref missed it.

Calamitous! If Davis doesn't hit him nothing happens he has caught the ball and is moving towards but in front of the post. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Calamitous! If Davis doesn't hit him nothing happens he has caught the ball and is moving towards but in front of the post. 

If Davis wasn't there he'd have sloppily caught it and nigh on near spilled it. It wasn't a clean take at all. He did it shortly before 'the incident' too.

56 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

No complaints if you want to blame Nyland versus Davis or Luc Nilis if you want that’s all fair my point is it’s silly to pretend it didn’t happen just because the ref missed it.

12 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

@Enda and @Rolta didn't say it didn't happen and that for a keeper it wasn't poor. All I was saying was is it wouldn't have been a goal had Davis not been there, therefore it was not calamitous.

Mate. Anything is entirely possible when Nyland is in goal.

21 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

@Enda and @Rolta didn't say it didn't happen and that for a keeper it wasn't poor. All I was saying was is it wouldn't have been a goal had Davis not been there, therefore it was not calamitous.

It's calamitous — dangerous, maybe — that he looks like he's going to drop it frequently when he catches a cross. What happened after the catch doesn't change that.

Â