Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last PL match was City? Were he let in 6 and got beaten to his near post TWICE. Criminal

This guy will always be a mistake waiting to happen.

Get rid in the summer.

sure you love your random facts so you can be proud of his clean sheet, 1st Villa clean sheet in nearly 6 months

I'm no fan of Nyland but I'm surprised so many people are blaming him for that. He got shoved into the goal by Davis.

Maybe he should have been stronger but my reaction was to blame Davis and not Nyland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No denying he has liabilities ... (Tin hat time) I would say he is good with his distribution... A 7 out 10 shot stopper with the heavy caveat He lets himself down with badly with 3 absolute howlers sadly ... He is a better keeper than Reina for me & , has earned his chance to be our  #1. He was not to blame for tonight & played as I expected IMO... He isn’t the answer for long term but he’s the best out of a mixed bunch. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'm no fan of Nyland but I'm surprised so many people are blaming him for that. He got shoved into the goal by Davis.

Maybe he should have been stronger but my reaction was to blame Davis and not Nyland.

I think the problem is that the way he claimed the ball was so weak and not confident and in reality he shouldn’t have needed to end up on his own goal line.

Having said that, I have no idea what Davis was doing and would put more blame on him in that situation. It was the sort of goal that would be typical of us to give away in a game where we were comfortably the better team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I think the problem is that the way he claimed the ball was so weak and not confident and in reality he shouldn’t have needed to end up on his own goal line.

That is true but he did claim the ball eventually and was then shoved into the goal by his own player. I don't know what Davis was doing to be honest.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

That is true but he did claim the ball eventually and was then shoved into the goal by his own player. I don't know what Davis was doing to be honest.

Yeah I completely agree. I’d hold Davis way more culpable but if Nyland had claimed the ball properly in the first place then it would never have been an issue. 

Davis didn't help the situation but if Nyland had done his job in the first place then it wouldn't have been an issue. Normally when a keeper claims the ball, they go foward, if they're going backwards, they tip the ball over the bar. It was a mess but if Nyland had claimed it cleanly first time, their positioning wouldn't be the same and the ball wouldn't have been behind the line. 

This is not Nyland bashing for the sake of it, because he has inspired moments/games but it's not just a rare error, his whole time with us has been full of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

So he made a mistake. Luckily it didn't cost us. He was picked ahead of Reina for a reason and you cant just swap and change especially as we got a 0-0

I'm just glad it's not Reina.  If it's a choice between Nyland and Steer then it's more of a debate for me.

Never want to see him start again after ANOTHER ERROR. just can't count on this guy. Concentration is diabolical. You should expect a mistake every match. 

• Like 1

Every time we passed the ball back 'd get a nervous feeling and be expecting an Enckelman type howler , such is the lack of confidence he brings me .. God only knows how it is for his team mates .

He frightens me so much , I'd rather have Reina in goal ..thats how bad things have got

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

FINALLY someone who saw exactly what I saw.

It all stemmed from his bad positioning and poor handling. I am not exaggerating here - he isn't the worst he has some good attributes but I have never seen a goalkeeper as much as Nyland struggle to catch a ball. It is a regular occurrence high looping balls being dropped, fumbled or gathered at the second attempt.  He got away with at Leicester. It was every week in the Championship.

He does it all the time. I think he geniunely might have a problem with his eyesight.

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It all stemmed from his bad positioning and poor handling. I am not exaggerating here - he isn't the worst he has some good attributes but I have never seen a goalkeeper as much as Nyland struggle to catch a ball. It is a regular occurrence high looping balls being dropped, fumbled or gathered at the second attempt.  He got away with at Leicester. It was every week in the Championship.

He does it all the time. I think he geniunely might have a problem with his eyesight.

The handling had nothing to do with it. Yes he didn't claim it above his head but he brought it into his chest as a recovery exactly how he should have. Had he caught it above his head he'd have still been barged into by Davis and the outcome would have been the same.

Again I don't rate the guy. I think he's a crap keeper. But I think people are being harsh on him here.

Â