Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't think it really matters. If Man. City hit the top corners like they did at VP Nyland will be picking the ball out of the net 4 or 5 times.

Only interest to me is if we somehow get to within two minutes of a penalty shoot out then you simply put Reina on as he's a far superior penalty saver as he's already shown here. Did Nyland save any last season?

He did save a penalty last season, to secure 3 points at Swansea.

https://www.soccersouls.com/give-him-a-knighthood-dont-need-a-new-keeper-some-aston-villa-fans-celebrate-star-man-after-1-0-win-match-report/

• Like 1

starting nyland would be weak managment....a sentimental decision which would rubber stamp many doubts I have abouts Smiths managment credentials.

dropping him for REina would be a seminal moment in Smiths particulary steep learning curve. It would be like when fergie binned Leighton for the cup final replay. THE turning point in history.

5 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

starting nyland would be weak managment....a sentimental decision which would rubber stamp many doubts I have abouts Smiths managment credentials.

dropping him for REina would be a seminal moment in Smiths particulary steep learning curve. It would be like when fergie binned Leighton for the cup final replay. THE turning point in history.

Reina deserves to be dropped after SOU game

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Reina kept the score down.

I think his jog back to halfway when Southampton were breaking from our corner would imply otherwise.

Edited by RichiBoi11

4 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Reina kept the score down.

Many of his saves were from poor clearences or passing to defenders who had opposition players on them. I really like him but he had a stinker last week. 

It's alright saying our defenders should be better on the ball but they are what they are and didn't have to be put under some of the pressure they were. 

• Like 1

It's alright taking about 1 stinker but look at how many big finals  Reina been in and won. Big game experience is crucial. He's a big game player.

Smith wasn't loyal to Jedd Steer this season so why start now with Nyland.

It would be sucide to play Nyland.

27 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

lose 1-0 doing nothing... or roll the dice,  maybe get a 1-1 or lose 2-0

I know what I'd do.

The issue wasn't rolling the dice, it was the lack of urgency to get back after rolling a dud. What if we end up down on the last day by one goal on goal difference. These decisions can have big implications.

• Like 1

I find this type of conversation interesting. Goalkeepers tend to be looked at differently to outfield players. For me I would 100% start Reina, do we remember Nyland's game against City when you could argue he was at fault for a number of their goals. Yes he played well in both legs vs Leicester but Reina is a player who has been and done this before and his experience and calm head will be crucial. 

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I think his jog back to halfway when Southampton were breaking from our corner would imply otherwise.

Maybe he could not run and could only jog?  He was clearly struggling in the warm up and was getting medical attention 

8 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

Maybe he could not run and could only jog?  He was clearly struggling in the warm up and was getting medical attention 

I didn't know he was struggling before the game, but if that's true then a question needs to be asked of the management as to why he was playing.

Nyland isn't very good. A couple of good games doesn't change that.

Was a clown last season. And he was horrendous in the 6-1 defeat to Man City. Got beaten at his near post, twice.

Reina starts for me.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Nyland isn't very good. A couple of good games doesn't change that.

Was a clown last season. And he was horrendous in the 6-1 defeat to Man City. Got beaten at his near post, twice.

Reina starts for me.

But you said he was better than Heaton a few weeks back 🤔

2 hours ago, screwdriver said:

It's alright taking about 1 stinker but look at how many big finals  Reina been in and won. Big game experience is crucial. He's a big game player.

Think he only won the FA Cup at Liverpool, never started a final for Spain and probably not Bayern either 

Reina was poor last weekend, disappointingly his kicking was actually off which is why he needed to make a couple of those saves 

I think we have to start Nyland and hope for the best, worryingly I think City will pepper him from the edge of the box which is his weakness, the back 3 have to push out to try and stop it, the deeper we go the more it plays in to their hands 

Â