18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can't see us being anywhere near top two next year as it stands. If it was this current villa team maybe. But we all know half the first team today (maybe more) wont be here next year.

I expect us to cash in on grealish around the 30m mark and that will help around ffp

I really hope that we don't. £30m would not even buy Jack's right leg surely? A fee might help with FFP but it won't help us to get involved in any race for promotion. I would like to think Jack might stay for one more year and that we could try to build a team around him. There again, I also liked to think that we would not be facing another season in this division before yesterday. :( 

If Jack stays we have hope.

We need our youngsters to step up next season. Green and Davis had a taste this season, but they're going to be bigger next year. O'Hare and Hepburn-Murphy hopefully will step up too.

We should sign/resign Hutton, Johnstone and possibly Snodgrass, and maybe bring Axel on loan again to be first choice CB. Our first XI probably won't be to drastically changed, but we won't have the excellent squad depth we had this year (which was squandered in all honesty). At the very least we need:

2 CBs

1 LB

1 CM

1 Winger

1 CF

Our first XI next season will hopefully look like this:

Johnstone

Hutton/New LB

Chester

Axel/New CB

Bree/Elmo

Hourihane

New CM

Grealish

Green

Kodjia

Snodgrass/New RW

Subs: Steer, Adomah, Jedinak, New CF, O'Hare, Davis, Elmo/Bree

Still needs work, but it's not as desperate people are making it out, and not outside the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

I wonder if Johnstone will stay, I think not, right now - he is likely to have offers from Premier League sides. Likewise, new manager at West Ham, Snodgrass may either have a new chance there or Prem sides may give him a chance. Those two may depend on if we keep Bruce, likewise Hutton and Grabban dependent on the manager. 

• Like 1

I’m excited for the new season! No matter what league or state we’re in, a positive outlook means I’m always looking forward to the next surprise Aston Villa throw at me! New manager? New players? New approach? It’s all good fun. Yes we’ll feel down in the dumps for a few hours/days, but football is all about entertainment! We’ve had a moment of drama, after a couple of years of comedy... and now we’re just waiting for the action adventure!

Regardinf next year’s team, I can’t see us signing Johnstone, because Man Utd wanted silly money, we won’t get Snodgrass because West Ham won’t let him go for cheap, and I’m not interested in us signing Tuanzebe in the slightest! Onomah, no chance. Not that I’d want to sign him either.

I will dream of us bringing in a new manager that can set us up to play on the front foot, and for us to put together a team resembling something like this:

——————— Davis ———————

Kodjia —— Grealish —— — Green

——— Hourihane —— CM ————

Taylor — Chester — CB —— Bree

———————— GK ————————

That side would need three new signings. An experienced goalkeeper (possibly on loan), a new CM, unless we decide to use Jedi/ Whelan/ Thor, and another CB to replace Terry and Samba.

That would still leave us with some other exciting youngsters to introduce (O’Hare, Hepburn-Murphy, Doyle-Hayes etc), and would give us the rest of the squad to pull apart or keep, as FFP instigates.

I suppose Davis being our main striker would be an odd choice, because of his inexperience, but maybe I’m thinking of more of a 4-3-3 with him teeing up Green and Kodj. Or maybe I just love Keenan Davis :D 

An alternative is that Hogan, Kodj or McCormack lead the team, with O’Hare or a new signing on the wing.... but I like my tactic. It means fewer changes and means that we’ll get to see the Kodjia of last season that excelled in a wide-left position.

• Like 4

The problem that we will have from now on is that relegated PL teams are getting massive parachute payments to help with the transition. If you look at Stoke for example, they will also have quit a bit of money available from selling the likes of Butland, Allen and Shaquiri. Can't remember who we actually sold when we got relegated. West Brom are in a really strong position too.

Going to be a real tough one next season and I feel that we could be down here for a long time unless Dr Tony manages to find a way round FFP, like Wolves.

9 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The problem that we will have from now on is that relegated PL teams are getting massive parachute payments to help with the transition. If you look at Stoke for example, they will also have quit a bit of money available from selling the likes of Butland, Allen and Shaquiri. Can't remember who we actually sold when we got relegated. West Brom are in a really strong position too.

Going to be a real tough one next season and I feel that we could be down here for a long time unless Dr Tony manages to find a way round FFP, like Wolves.

Sunderland would have had a pretty decent parachute payment too, but look at what happened to them. It’s not easy for teams coming down from the Prem. Especially one’s that have gotten pretty comfortable in the fancy pants league. 

Some of their players won’t want to drop down a league because they think they’re too good. Some players will still be on a downer from a year of losing every week. Some players will need to be sold because of their wages. Let’s wait and see what state the relegated clubs are in before we worry too much. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We said the same with the teams that came down. Mate its not that easy as its very hard to get use to. Stoke wont find it easy. I think Swansea may be the biggest threat.

My biggest concern is how we cope without terry. I just think it will have  massive impact on us

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

I think we will be up there next year. There are a lot of dramatic reactions on here. We need to bring in some fresh faces to replace the loans and contract expiration’s. I think Grealish stays. Kodjia will be fit. Green will be fit. There is hope. 

There is no hope if we keep Bruce in charge.

I think it won't be as bad as many think on here.

We have some good midfield players and some strikers. Our defence will need a rebuild. 

If we can get 30m for Grealish then I would take it and use that money to rebuild our squad. 

If we bring in the right manager that knows how he wants to play to his system.. That manager would bring in the right players to execute this, even if its loan signings. 

I have enjoyed to emotions of the season but not the football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

I wonder if Johnstone will stay, I think not, right now - he is likely to have offers from Premier League sides. Likewise, new manager at West Ham, Snodgrass may either have a new chance there or Prem sides may give him a chance. Those two may depend on if we keep Bruce, likewise Hutton and Grabban dependent on the manager. 

He was solid, but I think Steer at this level will be just as good. Johnstone has errors in him and is the worst kicker I've ever seen, worse than Bosnich ever was.

13 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

The 3 teams going down have better squads than we had when we went down. It's not looking up for the Villa. New manager and support from Tony and we might be in it. With Bruce we will struggle.

Swansea and Stoke have poor squads while Baggies like us are an old team

• Like 1

On loan players:

Snodgrasss, Johnstone, Grabban, Onomah, Tuanzebe all gone. That's 3 starters.

Out of contract:

Terry, Hutton, Samba, Gabby, Bunn, 2 more starters.

Players likely looking to leave/ interesting to other clubs:

Lansbury, Thor,  De Laet, Gollini, Gil, McCormack, Lyden, Elphick, Hogan & Hogan?, Chester, Grealish, Hourihane. Worst case scenario another 3 gone.

Players too expensive to keep. (at least all of them)

Whelan, Jedinak, Terry,  McCormack, Hutton? Richards, 

Unless Xia comes up with a scheme to get around FFP and get some more money into the club it could turn into a very big rebuild that needs to be done on the cheap.

Massive challenge next season

Like many I hope we’ll get a manager in to rebuild a younger side with a coherent style. As such I don’t think we’ll be pushing for promotion next year with the financial squeeze. We need a longer 2-3 year vision with an exciting manager and a new team, incorporating some of the youth. My understanding of FFP is it’s a three-year average, so I hope I’m right in thinking that if Tony’s still up for it, we can spend again after next season. If that’s the case, try and build the base of the squad next year, then go out and add a few gems where needed next summer and go out and win the league with style. 

If that works it puts us in better shape when we go up to PL too. If we’d gone up yesterday, we’d have had to have a massive rebuild. We know how that goes from our last season up there. We’d have been straight back down again, though admittedly we’d be £170m better off...