18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

20 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don't blame anyone for being positive though, I'd rather that than some of the negative shit I've read on here. 

There is no point in wallowing in self pity. Not just as fans but more importantly from the owner of the club down. The thing you take out of yesterday is to ensure you don't feel that pain of a missed opportunity and huge disappointment again.

I'd hope that the club already have plans in place for next season in the Championship and I'd like to think that the move to rename the training ground was just part of some creative thinking in terms of off setting the further drop in parachute payments. Financially we will still be better off than all but the three demoted teams and possibly Boro. Of those demoted sides at least one is likely to suffer a huge hangover from being relegated.

There are only two things to take from last season now. The lessons learned as to why we failed to achieve promotion and the pain we felt in not doing so and we use both of those to ensure promotion is achieved next season.

• Like 1

Promotion odds from SkyBet:
Aston Villa 8.50
Stoke 8.50
Swansea 8.50
West Brom 8.50
Middlesbrough 11.00
Brentford 17.00
Derby 17.00
Leeds 21.00
Norwich 21.00
Sheffield Wednesday 21.00
Birmingham 26.00
Bristol City 26.00
Hull 26.00
Sheffield Utd 26.00
Wigan 26.00
Blackburn 29.00
Nottingham Forest 29.00
Preston 29.00
Millwall 34.00
Reading 34.00
QPR 41.00
Bolton 51.00
Ipswich 51.00

not a surprise. Regardless of finances we will be a big draw, and the teams that came down have no great players to worry about. Looks about right until we see what happens in the summer. Stoke with Rowett and Swansea with Potter may be tough, but neither will be Wolves or Fulham. 

Look at those other clubs, who is obviously a better favourite than us? We need to be better relative to the other sides in the league, that's all

Green , hepburn Murphy , Davis , o hare , and Bree could all step up next season and play a much more important part in our season - add 3 decent loans and the players who remain this summer and we have the makings of a decent side even if we can’t afford to buy anyone .

grealish and Chester are the key to keep - not too bothered if kodjia goes , there will be a lot of wheeling and dealing but promotion is do-able  on a low budget as others have proved .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

How we are favourites i do not know.

Might be worth checking again when we sell half the team and when Bruce is still manager.

4th best team in the league last season, but because the three we were behind went up that currently makes us the proven best team in the league until we sell/buy players. 

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I agreed with you until your last 3 depressing sentences. Do you think that the Preston or Brentford fans that finished 7th and 9th, each winning 13 games, think they’ve had a season of depressing mediocrity? I don’t.

It’s an exciting league where youngsters and nobodies can make a name for themselves, if part of a team that has a plan.

We need a manager that can add a few savvy buys, while also bedding in some of our promising youngsters!

Hepburn-Murphy, Green, Davis, Doyle-Hayes & O’Hare can all play a part next year. Then there are other youngsters that, supposedly, are highly rated - Bedeau, Suliman, Bree. Then we have players on the fringes that would be seen as a good signing for most of the league: Steer, Taylor, Lansbury etc. 

We have a big enough squad to be able to cut some costs and make a few additions, and still have one of the top 6/7 squads in the league.

I have to say, I’ve never fully understood the desire that some people have to bring in Dean Smith. But flipping heck, why not! (Maybe I should read up on him first..)

You're right. At that point my current state of mind took over. It'll be better soon, I hope.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Same squad without 5 key players

I think what @VillaJ100 is suggesting is that we go all out, buy the best players now and face the transfer embargo which won't mean a thing after spending £100+ million on the players we need.

It's not a strategy I'd approve of, but in theory it is a way of getting around FFP. If for instance you spend £500 million in one transfer window you shouldn't need to buy anyone else for years, assuming you bought well at least. 

It's a risky way of doing things that's for sure especially given Villa's track record in the transfer window.

all about players , theirs players who need to be sold,

as much as we all like hutton, hes no lest back & was exposed at wembley for the goal, sb has not found a lb yet which is a worry..a worry the manager has bought bad in this area

to put things simple .. villa were the 4th best team last year fact & no complaints their, now with the cuts in ££ its going to be tough to get better than key players on the loan books

the options are simple, stick with bruce or hire better (proven)..big sam 

if sb stays he need to act fast & get a top cb in to replace jt to lay the marker down , that way it may convince snoddy/johnston to stay on 

4 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I think what @VillaJ100 is suggesting is that we go all out, buy the best players now and face the transfer embargo which won't mean a thing after spending £100+ million on the players we need.

It's not a strategy I'd approve of, but in theory it is a way of getting around FFP. If for instance you spend £500 million in one transfer window you shouldn't need to buy anyone else for years, assuming you bought well at least. 

It's a risky way of doing things that's for sure especially given Villa's track record in the transfer window.

And if we don't go up the implications could be absolutely critical.

Not in favour of that at all. It's not just a embargo we would get a absolutely huge fine.

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

And if we don't go up the implications could be absolutely critical.

Not in favour of that at all. It's not just a embargo we would get a absolutely huge fine.

Ffp punishments have also changed with points deductions or even demotion now available as punishments - we will adhere to ffp rules as the consequences are too great to ignore now 

6 minutes ago, Daweii said:

their no masking it, you get what you pay for, buy cheap buy twice

teki would rip the league up , wages.. gabby lump wages-ross lump wages- hogan wages..3 out -1 in 

Hopefully if we can sell a few players that are not that critical to us like hogan, McCormack and tish. That frees up a lot of wages. 

I like the look of that cardiff cb they may not want him anymore as look for better now a premier league club.

It's a big rebuild job without question 

We were better than 20 teams in the league last term and we will be better than them this year. Stoke,Swansea, Albion and the promoted sides don't fill me with terror. As long as we manage the comings and goings in the summer we'll be absolutely fine. Also like it or not changing the manager all the time is'nt the way to go. Stability is. Chins up lads we're going up next year and no play-offs this time