18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It really is the money game. Most valuable game in world sport? 

Most valuable in world football I'd have thought, world sport I don't know but hard to think of another team sport with a 1 game minimum £170m jackpot, stay up one year and it's closer to min £300m isn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, romavillan said:

Most valuable in world football I'd have thought, world sport I don't know but hard to think of another team sport with a 1 game minimum £170m jackpot, stay up one year and it's closer to min £300m isn't it?

I think so. The USA sports could potentially be more but most of them don't have relegation. 

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah it's something like £175 million for winning on Monday and then at least £95 million if that team manage the bare minimum of a 17th place finish next season. 

18 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think if you go up and finish bottom of the PL and it’s £170m (does that include parachute payments of going back down?) so finishing above that would likely net more. 

For me the best thing about going up will be  having a chance of keeping the core of the team intact. 

Losing Axel, Grealish, Tammy and Mings will feel like starting all over again. 

I guess Norwich managed it buts it’s hard to take.

• Like 2

Given the way the game is going there isn't much hope of us winning much in the future. I have a feeling this might just end up being the best game and season of my lifetime.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

This weekend is lasting forever!

I just hope we keep our heads, don't panic if we go behind, and play the way we know we can. I trust the staff to get the preparations right, the players will need to turn up, handle the pressure and execute the game plan.

It's won't be easy, Derby are in good form and have their tails up after the Leeds result, they will enjoy being the underdogs and being written off, it's easy motivation for them. 

I believe we are good enough and brave enough. We can do this!

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes. The additional £95m is for another year in the Premier League following that, regardless of finish. 

Anyway, I hate the way it has been billed as a money game. Drags the romance out of it. It is about far more than that, for me. Getting back to 'the show', keeping hold of our talismanic captain. And it's about the victory itself, the grind of the season coming to a crescendo. Turning this sinking ship around, winning the championship war. 

We will never have a better chance than this. A one off game, as rightful favourites. Let's go grasp it with two hands. 

Hear, hear. 

And, to do our part, let's turn Wembley into the Holte End. 

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes. The additional £95m is for another year in the Premier League following that, regardless of finish. 

Anyway, I hate the way it has been billed as a money game. Drags the romance out of it. It is about far more than that, for me. Getting back to 'the show', keeping hold of our talismanic captain. And it's about the victory itself, the grind of the season coming to a crescendo. Turning this sinking ship around, winning the championship war. 

We will never have a better chance than this. A one off game, as rightful favourites. Let's go grasp it with two hands. 

All very true, and very well put... it’s not done my nerves any good though! 

😬

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Given the way the game is going there isn't much hope of us winning much in the future. I have a feeling this might just end up being the best game and season of my lifetime.

I used to go home and away in the Third Division thinking "What have we come to?" 10 Years later we won the European Cup!! Anything can happen in sport!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

I used to go home and away in the Third Division thinking "What have we come to?" 10 Years later we won the European Cup!! Anything can happen in sport!

This. If you want cheering up, go back and have a look at page one of this thread. 

I don't subscribe to this notion of never getting a better chance, like we're some mickey mouse club rarely at the top of the Championship. We're not even used to being as low as the second tier, never mind at the top end.

Ok, say we don't win tomorrow (we will of course). We could conceivably put an automatic promotion team together next season. Yeah we might have to sell Jack and reinvest the money into recruitment but its not the end of the world. We're getting the structure right for the future. It doesn't depend on what happens tomorrow.

That said, winning tomorrow is the ideal scenario. So that's what we'll do.

4 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The Championship play off final: two teams fighting it it out for the right to battle against relegation in the Premier League next season.

🤑

And oh how nice it will be for the winner

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Pretty uch seeing it like this too. But who knows given enough time?

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The Championship play off final: two teams fighting it it out for the right to battle against relegation in the Premier League next season.

🤑

Maybe it's just my C&B bias, but even though Derby have an equal chance of winning tomorrow, I feel we'd do better than them in the Premier League.