18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

We were woeful mate mostly in the second leg. The amount of mistakes and really poor passes we really could have been punished if we played. A team that had better fire power. If gayle was palying I think we would have lost had we performed like that. 

All I know is we have to be a hell of a lit better at Wembley or we might as wll not sure up as Derby will beat us after that game vs leeds

I wouldn't said woeful.. we certainly were frustrated and made to look second best...

If you had a coach in front of you on the motorway and two lorries either side of you, you're going to get frustrated and limited to what you can do and where you can go.

We did well to maintain and still reach the destination of Wembley!

9 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Id take the below “woeful” stats every single game. 9/10 that would result in an absolute hammering.

We just have to cut out ten minutes of sloppiness in the second half and the over playing in the final third.

We get those stats against Derby and we win. 

E3939482-4ACC-4BD1-897E-79C64D665AB0.png

Good stats. We didn't have many good chances though. Maybe that one that Johnson saved? Apart from that I don't remember any. West Brom defended well. 

Thought we played as well as we possibly could have against an anti football WBA. We were a little sloppy and ponderous in the final third, but overall controlled both games. Their 2 goals game from a mistake and long throw. We were never "opened up".

Personally, i'm pretty confident against Derby. I can't see Lampard sitting back, and their defence isn't good enough to contain our attack. Cashley Cole will be at left back, who was so awful at VP he was subbed at half time. 

This is our best chance by a mile to get back to the PL.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Id take the below “woeful” stats every single game. 9/10 that would result in an absolute hammering.

We just have to cut out ten minutes of sloppiness in the second half and the over playing in the final third.

To be fair, most of those shots came after the red card. I think we'd had one attempt up until then. Certainly in the first half a weak El Ghazi effort was our only attempt on target, and it was a pea roller.

We weren't woeful, but we certainly weren't much good.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, most of those shots came after the red card. I think we'd had one attempt up until then. Certainly in the first half a weak El Ghazi effort was our only attempt on target, and it was a pea roller.

We weren't woeful, but we certainly weren't much good.

Just to kind of back up what you are saying, here's the stats at 79 minutes (when Brunt was red carded)...

0fKwOIu.jpg

We had plenty of possession but weren't really doing a lot with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Would you have taken them if we lost three nil had they htaken their chances form very costly errors? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I thought it was some of the worst football we've played this season. Sloppy, nervous, slow, unimaginative. Once Brunt went off it was an assault and we were the only team seriously interested in attacking over the 2 legs and deserved to go through. But I thought we were very poor at the Hawthorns. We lost the game. To that Donkey Sanctuary.

Nah, I can't dress it up. But we showed strength of purpose and resilience to get through even when were struggling and stuttering. That's as important as skill. More so. West Brom knew if they opened the game up we'd murder them though. Derby only play open. The Leeds game the other night was like a Rocky fight. Very entertaining but tactically non existent. From both teams. If Derby play like that against us, and we're on it, we'll take them apart. But we will also be aware we can't afford to be that sloppy again. A timely reminder.

That's how I saw it. We were just completely doing the basics wrong. The set pieces were dreadful. Slopping passing and creating little-OK West brom parked the bus but it was really bad at times. 

I think we might have lost if brun t didn't get sent off. That helped. 

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Movement was lacking. It was a game perfect for Lansbury imo

If he was good enough he'd be in the team. Whelan and Hourihane are bang average, if he can't get in ahead of them he's not up to it.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is the kind of attitude that will lose us the game. To go to Leeds and score four is very impressive. It's noway going to be  a 'bye' to Premier league. 

Let's drop this level of arrogance we have done nothing yet. 

You do get that I wasn't being entirely serious, don't you?

Wasn't expecting free flowing football but moving the ball quicker and giving those oafs less time to organise was something I expected. Thought we looked jaded and exhausted which surprised me. Same 13 players though and lots of effort a few days before.

Hopefully the break gives us time to recharge.

I’m pretty confident of us being the better team on the day. Derby’s keeper looked alright, much better than Carson. Will Curtis Davies be back in for the fella who got the red? Don’t know anything about their centre backs. Bogle their full back looked good.

A couple of quick passes around their box and Leeds were able to get shots away though, I’d love to see a couple of Kodjia goals.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Would you have taken them if we lost three nil had they htaken their chances form very costly errors? 

Do I get to counter by saying yes, if we scored from all of the ten shots we had on target?

As for the red card. They’d been allowed to kick us with impunity for much of the first and second legs with little punishment. The least they deserved was two reds but could easily have been a number more.

Suffice to say, we could have done better but we’ll rarely play in that set of circumstances again. We weren’t unlucky or played off the park and more than deserved the win over the both games.

Lads showed bottle and a huge mentality to get through as they did at Leeds, Sheff Wed, Rotherham etc.

We need to improve but it’s patently ridiculous to say it was one of the worst performances of the season considering the context of the game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think it will be 50/50 this idea that because we’ve beat them twice we’ll do it a third time is crap. I think it will be a single goal win 

Im thinking back to when Arseabl beat us in the FA Cup 4-0 after beating us 0-2 and 4-0 in the league (16/17). 3-0 to Villa everyday.

• Like 2