18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

49 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Do I get to counter by saying yes, if we scored from all of the ten shots we had on target?

As for the red card. They’d been allowed to kick us with impunity for much of the first and second legs with little punishment. The least they deserved was two reds but could easily have been a number more.

Suffice to say, we could have done better but we’ll rarely play in that set of circumstances again. We weren’t unlucky or played off the park and more than deserved the win over the both games.

Lads showed bottle and a huge mentality to get through as they did at Leeds, Sheff Wed, Rotherham etc.

We need to improve but it’s patently ridiculous to say it was one of the worst performances of the season considering the context of the game. 

Let's nit forget though how many of those were stat shots or when albion went to ten. I recall very little opportunities created. Of course albion negative tactics didn't help that I get. 

I agree they showed charchter that's not the point I wss making it was the performance which I feel was poor. 

It wasn't the worst but I think we were really awful at times esp in the first half. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Let's nit forget though how many of those were stat shots or when albion went to ten. I recall very little opportunities created. Of course albion negative tactics didn't help that I get. 

It doesn't sound like you do to be honest Dem, but it's not unique to you. 

We may well have discovered that we're not very good against 10 men literally defending in the box. That's all, for me. I don't know what we can learn from that heading into the final?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It doesn't sound like you do to be honest Dem, but it's not unique to you. 

We may well have discovered that we're not very good against 10 men literally defending in the box. That's all, for me. I don't know what we can learn from that heading into the final?

Was you happy with all the mistakes we were making? The poor passing losing the ball and generally struggling to pass the ball round first half? Re watch the first half and anyone who says we were not terrible first half is lying to themselves. 

It got better second half I acknowledged that but that was mainly due to the ten men. We easily could have lost that game another day. It certainly it has to be better against Derby. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Was you happy with all the mistakes we were making? The poor passing losing the ball and generally struggling to pass the ball round first half? Re watch the first half and anyone who says we were not terrible first half is lying to themselves. 

It got better second half I acknowledged that but that was mainly due to the ten men. We easily could have lost that game another day. It certainly it has to be better against Derby. 

agree with this, I thought we played poorly for the most part of the game and struggled to find any consistency. we nearly went suicidal with a few passes in the beginning of the second half too that could have easily cost us the final. the game-changer really was their sending off and that flipped the game 180. I'm not going to fault them for having a hard time breaking down a brickwall though, WBA were immensely cynical in how they set up after that (even before that tbf). we had a difficult time breaking them down on the day and on better days we would have scored one or two.

for what it's worth I think we'll perform a lot better in against Derby, because I have a hard time seeing them play as cynically as WBA. I also think that we'll be more turned on so that even if it comes to that it will end up hurting Derby.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

agree with this, I thought we played poorly for the most part of the game and struggled to find any consistency. we nearly went suicidal with a few passes in the beginning of the second half too that could have easily cost us the final. the game-changer really was their sending off and that flipped the game 180. I'm not going to fault them for having a hard time breaking down a brickwall though, WBA were immensely cynical in how they set up after that (even before that tbf). we had a difficult time breaking them down on the day and on better days we would have scored one or two.

for what it's worth I think we'll perform a lot better in against Derby, because I have a hard time seeing them play as cynically as WBA. I also think that we'll be more turned on so that even if it comes to that it will end up hurting Derby.

That's also how I saw it. I don't want to be harsh on them as they have been brilliant this year. But we have to ensure we are much better than that in the final or we will lose

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think too much has been made out of 10 men....I have seen us struggle against 10 men....not saying it didn't matter mind, because it did.

I think they was so intent on physically taking us out, they wore themselves out. I also think that, that style contributed to them having so many injuries.

12 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I think that is what cost them.....but it also made it so difficult for us.

We have some fine players, but not quite good enough to negate That approach.

I have seen us struggle against lesser sides, who adopt that approach in the past.....We don't really like been closed down and cynically fouled, but who does....I still say it was a gamble for them and it cost them.

Derby and us just managed to weather the storm.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think that is what cost them.....but it also made it so difficult for us.

We have some fine players, but not quite good enough to negate That approach.

I have seen us struggle against lesser sides, who adopt that approach in the past.....We don't really like been closed down and cynically fouled, but who does....I still say it was a gamble for them and it cost them.

Derby and us just managed to weather the storm.

I remember a few years ago Mourinho complaining about this tactic when his Chelski faced Allardyce's WHU calling it 19th-century football. it's difficult for any team, but it's not impossible. as you say it worked in our favor as they completely handed over all impetus to us.

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Wasn't expecting free flowing football but moving the ball quicker and giving those oafs less time to organise was something I expected. Thought we looked jaded and exhausted which surprised me. Same 13 players though and lots of effort a few days before.

Hopefully the break gives us time to recharge.

I thought the work from the wings was my main concern, no creativity or committing their full backs.....On Top of that nullfy Jack and John and its job done for them.

We have to find a way of getting a much better performance from the wing men.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, New_Hope said:

'Dreadful?? I think this is an exaggeration mate!!

We controlled both games against a team we hadn't beaten in the league season.

I've come onto the Forum late and just realised that the stats have been done to death. I have to agree. The following statistics show just how negative WBA were. I know statistics are not the 'be all and end all' but these make interesting reading.

Over two playoff matches                                

Aston Villa           WBA

47   Total shots     15
14   Shots on target     5
16   Shots off target     8
17   Blocked shots     2
25   Corner kicks     8
13   Fouls     29
2   Yellow cards     9
0   Red cards     2
2   Goalkeeper saves     10
Edited by VillaBrum
Other Poster's stats have already covered this
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Playoffs are notoriously tight too quite often, I think almost all the semi finals were won by a single goal or less this year 

Derby vs Leeds second leg finished 4-2

• Like 1

Hope we didn't celebrate like this.

Might be a while until the final but no a fan of drinking during season.

Derby and coach Frank Lampard had reason to rejoice after the playoff victory against Leeds in the Premier League qualifier.

According to the British Daily Mail , half a systembolag was consumed, and a lot of money was there, in celebration.

Via a 4-2 win away on Elland Road against Leeds on Wednesday, Derby was ready for the playoff final in the qualifying match for the Premier League .

The fact that they were happy for the promotion couldn't be missed.

The derby players and the leader's wallets were probably not as happy after the celebration.

According to the Daily Mail, the bar note went on during a celebration at a local pub in Derby on lush 2,800 pounds, equivalent to just over SEK 34,000, including 209 beers and 75 Jägermeister shots.

65 vodka shots

Add 65 vodka shots, 54 Sambuca shots, 38 tequila shots and a whole bunch of other assorted spirits.

It is also worth noting that the order for an alcohol-free light-cola was listed on the receipt, which indicates that at least one of the team has already canceled the target of the qualifying final against Aston Villa at Wembley on May 27.

If it was coach Frank Lampard, best known for his active career in Chelsea, who stood for the feast or if the bill was "split" is unclear.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/g74KJ1/derby-och-lampards-barnota--over-34-000-kronor

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Hope we didn't celebrate like this.

Might be a while until the final but no a fan of drinking during season.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/g74KJ1/derby-och-lampards-barnota--over-34-000-kronor

I really want to know who ordered the diet coke! they are the real MVP here.

3 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

We’re potentially 90 minutes away from being back in the Premier League. Hadn’t really sunk in till now. 

Imagine someone told you in February that Villa would be in the playoff final against Derby with Ashley Cole likely starting. I would have paid anyone who told me that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, New_Hope said:

Just like the myth that we were shit against the Baggies over two legs because we didn't win 8-0 on aggregate!

Job done by the skin of our teeth.

We will need to better in the final though - thats all that needs to be said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I never said I was 'happy' about it. There was probably a 20 minute spell across the two ties where I felt we lost control. 

• Like 1