18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

4 hours ago, Thug said:

Someone suggested Hourihane out wide, and although he’s not a winger and I’m not sure how much discipline he’d have to stick to that role, but he’s got to be a better shout than Green or Adomah surely? I’d probably go with Kodjia there, but if work rate was a concern then maybe this could be a serious option?

That's not a bad shout. 

Not actually playing a winger but Hourihane as a slightly wide right midfielder. 

Green and Adomah have both been very poor.  It's a shame we haven't been able to experiment with this idea, but I don't think our most importantly match in 4 years is the time to experiment sadly. 

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I might regret saying this but they don't have the personnel with which to do that. They went for Leeds tonight and not to knock Derby here but, Leeds were all over them up until the red card. Leeds threw it away, though Derby had to make that advantage count and fair play to them for it. 

Derby were actually all over them fro large periods. First half was all Leeds until the keeper mistake. Then derby were all over them. Leeds then came back into it when they scored second before the red then it was all Derby. 

Was really impressed with derby. I agree with your point about them not setting up like albion. It would be really risky. They are better on the offensive

Edited by Demitri_C

At 2 down Derby only had one option, total attack. They are definitely not beginning the final like that. I think it could end up being quite a dull nervy game unless there’s an early goal. 

• Like 1

As others have said, this really is our best chance of going up via the play-offs. Leeds would have been big favourites if we'd met them, but I'm fairly certain we'll be the strong favourites against Derby.

One thing we need to make certain, is that we don't get complacent. We can't think that the game is won, or that Derby will be pushovers.

Luckily, I don't think I've seen this team get complacent under Smith. I have a feeling that he always gets a team to respect it's opposition.

We've not been good for a couple of games. In fact, we've been absolutely crap at times. But hopefully we've gotten those bad performances out of the way and in the final we can play the way we have for most of 2019!

Bring on Wembley!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Derby are decent. But youre not going to meet dross in the play off final.

Quite simply this is a godsend of an opportunity to return to the prem. They arent on the level that Fulham were last year...the guy who got a red wont be available , ....if are we are to win a play off final - I doubt we will have a better chance than this...

Exactly this.

Nobody should be thinking Derby are a walkover. They're not.

But of the 3 teams that got into the playoffs, to get them in the final is absolutely the best outcome we could have hoped for.

And to be honest, given how well we've done against them in the league this year, I'm tempted to suggest they're the best outcome we could have hope for of any team even in contention for the playoffs, let alone those who actually made it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly this.

Nobody should be thinking Derby are a walkover. They're not.

But of the 3 teams that got into the playoffs, to get them in the final is absolutely the best outcome we could have hoped for.

And to be honest, given how well we've done against them in the league this year, I'm tempted to suggest they're the best outcome we could have hope for of any team even in contention for the playoffs, let alone those who actually made it.

I wouldn't have minded Derby or Boro tbh Stevo, but I agree with you.

If we were told a month ago we would to get to the final and playing Derby we would have snapped their hands and arms off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I worry about us flapping about playing a physical Leeds side, when next season we could be playing that way every game. We look good on paper, but will need big players to get to even Wolves level.

Earlier in the season my mate that supports Leeds was saying how he hoped they tried to sign Grealish or Mcginn next season. He was deadly serious too such was the arrogance.

Now in 2 weeks we could be eyeing up a few Leeds players.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I worry about us flapping about playing a physical Leeds side, when next season we could be playing that way every game. We look good on paper, but will need big players to get to even Wolves level.

We will indeed.

I think if we can start by signing Tammy, Axel and Tyrone on permanent deals and build from there around Jack.

But hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.. still 11 days to go until the big game. 

I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for this Final!  :D

• Like 4

The league games wont count for shit in the final, but its true we match up well if we execute.

I had wanted to meet Leeds to make amends for how they played against us but I'm also delighted they're out. Also, while I think we would have been mentally focussed and beat them, losing to them would have been unbearable.

Losing to Derby would still hurt, but they play fairly and their manager is a top man.

But we're going up.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Wolves' level is pretty high to be fair! Sad to say, but yeah we'd need loads of investment to get to their level.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We will indeed.

I think if we can start by signing Tammy, Axel and Tyrone on permanent deals and build from there around Jack.

But hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.. still 11 days to go until the big game. 

I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for this Final!  :D

Cant believe it's so far away, good for the players, agony for us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

The league games wont count for shit in the final, but its true we match up well if we execute.

I had wanted to meet Leeds to make amends for how they played against us but I'm also delighted they're out. Also, while I think we would have been mentally focussed and beat them, losing to them would have been unbearable.

Losing to Derby would still hurt, but they play fairly and their manager is a top man.

But we're going up.

True, they don't, whilst it still remains a nice psychological advantage to have knowing we've done them 7-0 over two games this season and we always seem to very well against Derby, we still have to finish the job here and not assume it will be any walkover.

To go to Elland road and form a comeback like they did, they should definately not be underestimated by any means.

If it's not to be this season I'd sooner go down against Derby than being beaten in the Final by either WBA or Leeds!..

So fair play to the midlands Team that goes on from this!..

If we, the fans, can also make Wembley ours on the day that will also bode well.

I think it's going to be an absolute cracking game, in an incredible atmosphere with end to end football and everyone gives their all.

16 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Wolves' level is pretty high to be fair! Sad to say, but yeah we'd need loads of investment to get to their level.

Well IF we go up, IF IF IF IF (I cannot bring myself to say 'when') - we'll have rather enlarged FFP margins, and incredibly wealthy and ambitious owners. I'm not going to think along these lines too long, it'll just hurt more later.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well IF we go up, IF IF IF IF (I cannot bring myself to say 'when') - we'll have rather enlarged FFP margins, and incredibly wealthy and ambitious owners. I'm not going to think along these lines too long, it'll just hurt more later.

This exact thing went through my head earlier.

My question(s) (sorry if slightly OT) and assuming we do go back up, does our FFP get wiped clean? 

Will our PL TV and prize money be set against this current FFP balance or will it act as a positive on our new FFP slate and be 'in credit' so to speak? And what is the FFP in PL and over what period?

Handy if so, with potential sponsorship, Club shop and ST revenues, wealthy owners who will invest.

I hope the new owners also notice that we can fill a stadium in this league and sell out Wembley in hours. Hopefully stadium expansion is also in their pipeline of plans for us in the near future.