18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 hours ago, VillaBrum said:

I've come onto the Forum late and just realised that the stats have been done to death. I have to agree. The following statistics show just how negative WBA were. I know statistics are not the 'be all and end all' but these make interesting reading.

Over two playoff matches                                

Aston Villa           WBA

47   Total shots     15
14   Shots on target     5
16   Shots off target     8
17   Blocked shots     2
25   Corner kicks     8
13   Fouls     29
2   Yellow cards     9
0   Red cards     2
2   Goalkeeper saves     10

Skin of our teeth stuff right there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I never said I was 'happy' about it. There was probably a 20 minute spell across the two ties where I felt we lost control. 

That was more a general question not alluding you were. 

I think it was a much longer period in the second leg. First leg was a error that we were punished for and we made errors like this second leg but fortunately did not get punished.

Lets hope that's the last of them eh? 

56 minutes ago, deeps said:

Watch Ashley Cole roll back the years come the 27th

Their forward line worries me, massively. 

Our defence doesn't though.

Put it this way, I think our forward line will cause more problems for their defence than theirs will ours.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Our defence doesn't though.

Put it this way, I think our forward line will cause more problems for their defence than theirs will ours.

Hope you’re right, pal 

My main concern with the derby game is we are so relieved and almost shocked that we aren't playing Leeds, coupled with how well we played against derby twice so far this season, that it actually works against us.

We really need to be on top of our game and guard against complacency, but I'm sure DS has it all in hand :)

Edited by MaVilla

Think we've looked a bit complacent ever since Rotherham to be honest. Then we get smacked with reality during the first half and get our shit together for second. 

I hope the fans forget about our previous games against Derby.

This is a one off game bit like Wigan v Man City in FA cup.

The setting ,the occasion and  the pressure can affect normal performance levels .Some of our players have not performed well recently will Wembley inspire them?I  do worry a bit about Wilson and Mount etc that they are so young they probably won’t feel the pressure that some of our older players might feel and perform well.

Our players have shown great resilience recently eg Rotherham,Leeds and WBA that even if things begin to turn against them they have the confidence to persevere.

I’m getting nervous about the game now. 

Yes we’ve got this massive aggregate score over them this season but so did Leeds. We’ve also never faced amount who changes the way they play. 

Our 5 game form doesn’t read that well either, p5 w2 d1 l2

Do I think we are better, yes. But that all goes out the window in a play off final. Just hope we’ve got one big performance in us this season. We can’t afford to let the occasion get to us.

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Our 5 game form doesn’t read that well either, p5 w2 d1 l2

The last time we played Derby we were in rotten form so not sure makes difference

• Like 2

Derby weren’t in great form when we last played them, 1 win, 2 draws and 2 defeats in the league going into that fixture. But of course we weren’t in great shape either - 3 draws and 2 defeats in the previous 5 games.

Before our 3-0 win earlier in the season, we had won 2 and lost 3 of the 5 games going into that fixture. Derby were 6 league games undefeated going into the game, having beaten small heath, WBA, Sheff Utd and drawing with QPR, Boro and Norwich. Pretty good form I would say.

The point is, the current form of both sides is about as relevant as the results of our previous encounters, probably less so. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The point is, the current form of both sides is about as relevant as the results of our previous encounters, probably less so. 

Exactly. Form will have little to no impact during such a massive ‘one off’ game.

When some form stats are emphasised  (Derby beat wba and Leeds whilst Villa lost against Norwich and scrapped through on penalties against wba) and other stats are ignored (Villa had a 10 win streak followed by a decent draw at Leeds, resting players against Norwich and facing a 10 man defence against wba, whilst Derby didn’t manage a shot on target in their last home game), what’s the point?

A team is only as good as it’s current game!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I hope the fans forget about our previous games against Derby.

It would be a huge mistake to ignore the games against derby county this season. We've battered them comfortably twice. it wasn't by accident. So why should we forget about it? Why should we change the approach? Just because its on a different pitch? If you find something that works you do it again and again. and who cares what Lampard is expecting? Give him what he fears most by coming out on the front foot and playing the whole game in their 18 yard box. We steam rollered our way into the play offs. derby sneaked in by the patio doors!

The privilidged ex public school boy Lampard is a rookie got the big job as his first one. Smith has had to learn his trade in the toilets of league two.

Grealish Terry Adomah Hutton Chester and the lads from last years final know what its about they can use the heartbreak as fuel. Smith went all gregory safety first against albion and scraped through. He knows what to do against derby. exactly how we did before. that first half was an exhibition in scintillating football. tora tora tora.

Do Villa fans want to drive all the way to london get bent over for shit lager and tenner hotdogs and watch Villa flap it and park the bus again like last year? 

Derby should be bricking it. their only hope is some Villa fans inferiority complex. We should treat derby exactly like you would treat a team you've destroyed twice. with utter contempt. collars up chests out let the arrogance do the work.

I'm going to london for a party. on and off the pitch. and I expect super jack is too.

I think you'll beat Derby.

Still very bitter 😑 two lucky barstewarding teams.

The media narrative the Lampard beat us is nonsense.

They played better in the 2nd half, Lampard got them to push forward more but until Cooper and Casilla had a total meltdown they were going nowhere.

Cooper then gave them a pen and Berardi got sent off, we lost our heads (same as vs Wigan).  Derby arent a bad side but by quite a way the weakest in the playoffs imo (which is what annoys me most)😠

But yes I'd be very surprised if you dont beat Derby as against our injury ravaged side we still had to hand it to them they couldn't take it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Still very bitter 😑 two lucky barstewarding teams.

As opposed to the 2 cheating barstewarding sides that got knocked out. 

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hey Cjay, remember when everyone said you’d look great all year then fall short because of burnout and injuries....................

In the unlikely imo event Derby beat you i shall take great pleasure in coming back to this 😆

21 minutes ago, av1 said:

As opposed to the 2 cheating barstewarding sides that got knocked out. 

Very nearly bankrupted yourselves to get promoted.

Got a billionaire owner to rescue you.

Seem to have gone all or nothing again.

You dont go up then you are totally screwed by the looks of it hence lucky barstewards.

Any club that has John Terry can't take the moral high ground😂

And Dean Smith while i think he is a good manager has very selective views on fair play . . . . 

Edited by Cjay
  • Haha 3