18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

58 minutes ago, jim said:

Those performances go out the window in a game like this 

Derby looked bloody good tonight and would have hammered the Villa team last night.

Nah. Every occasion is different and pressure changes everything. Leeds fans were watching the game yesterday saying they fancy beating both teams in the final based on that game. It’s never that simple.

If the keeper didn’t make that error when he did Leeds would have won very comfortably. 

We are better than Derby.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The Villa team from last night won't be playing in a local derby with 5 at the back from the opposition. 

Well not not be a local derby, but you never know they could go 5 at the back. We’ve beaten them comfortably twice this season, Lampard may look at how effective Albion’s tactics were and look to nullify us.

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Well not not be a local derby, but you never know they could go 5 at the back. We’ve beaten them comfortably twice this season, Lampard may look at how effective Albion’s tactics were and look to nullify us.

I might regret saying this but they don't have the personnel with which to do that. They went for Leeds tonight and not to knock Derby here but, Leeds were all over them up until the red card. Leeds threw it away, though Derby had to make that advantage count and fair play to them for it. 

We do need to park the 2 games we beat them in the league and move on from it. Leeds beat them 3 times !! Mount definetely didn't play against us at Villa park, not sure about the reverse fixture. Good player.

39 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well this is a turn up for the books...

Derby are a threat going forward, absolutely no doubt about that. However Leeds lack of tactical and mental discipline, again, tonight was utterly farcical. For all Bielsa deserves credit for putting on a show over the last 9 months they completely cocked that up. It's hard to know whether it was for him or in spite of him, but as much as it was one of the most exciting games of football I've ever watched it's hard to learn much about Derby from it.

Except perhaps to say that if we stay disciplined ourselves, work hard at keeping our shape defensively, and keep hold of the bloody ball rather than giving it cheaply in dangerous areas as Leeds continually did today, we will undoubtedly make it more difficult for Derby to break our lines than Leeds did tonight and opportunities to score goals WILL present themselves. This is has made my mind up on the Whelan vs Hourihane debate as well, it must be Whelo for that discipline. But I would like to see us go bold and stick Kodjia on Cole.

Should be one hell of a game, we will be slight favourites and with good reason. I can't wait.  

Interesting you say that 3rd paragraph, Hourihane has 3 in 2 v Derby this season. I'd go for him.

Just checked and Derby put out a really scratch teams at VP, was well understrength as they had games like George Evans and Ryan Bird starting.

The 0-3 at Pride Park was a much stronger team. Interestingly Mason Mount didn't play in either game. He must be respected like Grealish will obviously be from their side.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well this is a turn up for the books...

Derby are a threat going forward, absolutely no doubt about that. However Leeds lack of tactical and mental discipline, again, tonight was utterly farcical. For all Bielsa deserves credit for putting on a show over the last 9 months they completely cocked that up. It's hard to know whether it was for him or in spite of him, but as much as it was one of the most exciting games of football I've ever watched it's hard to learn much about Derby from it.

Except perhaps to say that if we stay disciplined ourselves, work hard at keeping our shape defensively, and keep hold of the bloody ball rather than giving it cheaply in dangerous areas as Leeds continually did today, we will undoubtedly make it more difficult for Derby to break our lines than Leeds did tonight and opportunities to score goals WILL present themselves. This is has made my mind up on the Whelan vs Hourihane debate as well, it must be Whelo for that discipline. But I would like to see us go bold and stick Kodjia on Cole.

Should be one hell of a game, we will be slight favourites and with good reason. I can't wait.  

Someone suggested Hourihane out wide, and although he’s not a winger and I’m not sure how much discipline he’d have to stick to that role, but he’s got to be a better shout than Green or Adomah surely? I’d probably go with Kodjia there, but if work rate was a concern then maybe this could be a serious option?

It seems like we been to wembley loads over the last few years but usually Villa are bottle jobs.  the destruction of liverpool is our only decent outing.

Derby are a less physical side than Leeds so should be a more open game. Its an opportunity for us to rough up some of their bum fluff boys. I want to see the champagne football of december on wembleys hallowed turf. only an annihilation exhibition will suffice, newspaper head lines that read "frank's wank"

The question is how will Villa approach the game tactical.

Will Smith go into John Gregory mode and completely flap it? hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!

has he turned into gregory already?

remember privileged lampard is the only public schoolboy to represent England at football. So this is more than a football match. Its class war.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Will Smith go into John Gregory mode and completely flap it? hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!

has he turned into gregory already?

How the feck have you come to that conclusion?

4 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

remember privileged lampard is the only public schoolboy to represent England at football. So this is more than a football match. Its class war.

I give up :crylaugh: