18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This exact thing went through my head earlier.

My question(s) (sorry if slightly OT) and assuming we do go back up, does our FFP get wiped clean? 

Will our PL TV and prize money be set against this current FFP balance or will it act as a positive on our new FFP slate and be 'in credit' so to speak? And what is the FFP in PL and over what period?

Handy if so, with potential sponsorship, Club shop and ST revenues, wealthy owners who will invest.

I hope the new owners also notice that we can fill a stadium in this league and sell out Wembley in hours. Hopefully stadium expansion is also in their pipeline of plans for us in the near future.

I approach it like I do family finances. I don't actually count anything but just assume we're in a position to max out the credit cards. Wife loves it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just reading..

PL ffp rules were set to £105m over 3 year period, however this was based over the last few seasons so that figure will be changing slightly once the criteria is laid out for the fourth coming season i'd expect.

Interesting...  :detect:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Don't change anything. We've been on a good run and get the job done with a very settled time. Now is not the time to mess around changing things. 

Think the good run might be overstated.- I don't actually think we have played well since we beat Bristol City.

We have 1 win in the last 4 games - and that via a penalty.

Out tendency to overplay and squander openings in the final third has been there for a few games - it even happened against poor teams like Bolton and Millwall.

I still think Derby in the final is a dream for us - but we need to rediscover that cutting edge - and that would be case whoever we played. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

At 2 down Derby only had one option, total attack. They are definitely not beginning the final like that. I think it could end up being quite a dull nervy game unless there’s an early goal. 

I agree, I think for the first hour or so Derby will just be trying to keep themselves in the game and hope we make a few mistakes and gift them something. Not exactly like Baggies tried to do, I'd expect Derby to keep the ball better and press higher up the pitch, but I don't see them taking too many risks with the ball or committing too many men forward until later in the game.

The onus is will be on us to take the game to them and create something, because that's the way Dean Smith always wants us to play. I think it will be tight, often these kind of finals are decided by who handles the occasion the best, whose big players really turn up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Derby were actually all over them fro large periods. First half was all Leeds until the keeper mistake. Then derby were all over them. Leeds then came back into it when they scored second before the red then it was all Derby. 

Was really impressed with derby. I agree with your point about them not setting up like albion. It would be really risky. They are better on the offensive

I watched the game, I don't agree that Derby were all over them for large periods. In fact, I don't think they did anything at all across the tie until the 45th minute of leg two, which was itself a horrible goal to concede from a Leeds perspective. Mounts goal was a decent bit of play, Cooper lost his mind giving such a soft penalty away, then Leeds woke tf back up and started to turn the screw... enter Berardi. 

Like I say I'm not trying to take anything away from Derby, it was a brilliant game of football and they exploited Leeds lack of discipline and were clinical. 5 shots on target over 2 legs. What I'm getting at is that they did nothing yesterday to fill me with dread, if anything the opposite. Because I know that if we are on our game and stay disciplined they are the perfect match for us. In a one off tie though they could definitely beat us, but that kinda goes without saying seeing as they have earned the right to be there. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's not a bad shout. 

Not actually playing a winger but Hourihane as a slightly wide right midfielder. 

Green and Adomah have both been very poor.  It's a shame we haven't been able to experiment with this idea, but I don't think our most importantly match in 4 years is the time to experiment sadly. 

This is when managers try and pull a rabbit out of a hat.  Klopp was guilty of doing this when he went to Barcelona and they ended up beaten 3-0. 

Stick to our own game, dont try and be smart and change things.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think the good run might be overstated.- I don't actually think we have played well since we beat Bristol City.

Out tendency to overplay and squander openings in the final third has been there for a few games - it even happened against poor teams like Bolton and Millwall.

I still think Derby in the final is a dream for us - but we need to rediscover that cutting edge - and that would be case whoever we played. 

The 1 win in 4 is worse than it sounds in my opinion. Leeds was just a bizzare game yet a point at Elland road is a decent result with 10 men and kodj missed a sitter. Norwich was a nothing game, rested plenty of players and still gave them a run for their money, beat baggies and then beat them on penalties at their place, not to bad! 

47 minutes ago, hippo said:

1 win in 4 is kind of worse than it sounds.

One was a point away at Elland Road, which despite Leeds' collapse is still a good result.

One was a 2-1 defeat in a dead rubber against by far the best team in the league.

One was a 2-1 victory

And one was, to be fair, not a great performance in Tuesday's game.

They're by far the four toughest fixtures we've had in the past couple of months.
If the season had finished with the Bolton and Millwall games we'd likely be saying we've won 3 out of the last 4 through nothing more than fixture scheduling.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

1 win in 4 is kind of worse than it sounds.

One was a point away at Elland Road, which despite Leeds' collapse is still a good result.

One was a 1-0 defeat in a dead rubber against by far the best team in the league.

One was a 2-1 victory

And one was, to be fair, not a great performance in Tuesday's game.

They're by far the four toughest fixtures we've had in the past couple of months.
If the season had finished with the Bolton and Millwall games we'd likely be saying we've won 3 out of the last 4 through nothing more than fixture scheduling.

The Norwich defeat was 2-1 and we were by far the best team.

6 minutes ago, Dick said:

The Norwich defeat was 2-1 and we were by far the best team.

I wouldn't say we were by far the best team, a draw would have been a fair result. 

Basically though I think Hippo has a point. We haven't hit top stride since Bristol. However given the magnitude of that game and that being the day a long shot turned into "just get the job done" I'm not overly concerned. There have been some tired legs out there over the last few weeks, it has taken a monumental effort to get here. 

The 13 days off will suit us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wouldn't say we were by far the best team, a draw would have been a fair result. 

Basically though I think Hippo has a point. We haven't hit top stride since Bristol. However given the magnitude of that game and that being the day a long shot turned into "just get the job done" I'm not overly concerned. There have been some tired legs out there over the last few weeks, it has taken a monumental effort to get here. 

The 13 days off will suit us.

Oh the break will do us good, but the fact we have only lost two games in this run and have not always been at our best shows we can win with style, but also fight when things aren't right.

• Like 1

I have so much confidence going into this final compared to last season v Fulham. Don't think it will be as emphatic as our previous 2 games but I fancy us to win it.  League form since DS took over has us as the third best team in the league and I think that has shown itself in the dominance of possession we showed in both legs v WBA who pretty much had their Premier League squad intact.  

Edited by New_Hope

19 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Defensive performances last night were awful. It was such an open game. This suited Derby more than Leeds. I think we'll be much better at not being so open at the back. 

We wont be as open at the back and if Derby are as open as they were last night against leeds we will go to town on them.  First goal is crucial to pull them out. 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

not to tempt fate - but when did we last concede more than one goal ? 

Noriwch on the last day.

Before that West Brom 16th Feb

Edited by Stevo985