18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

47 minutes ago, poitier said:

Without wanting to be overconfident, facing Derby in the play off final is pretty much like a bye through to the Premier League. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even bother to turn up for the match and take a statutory 0-3 loss rather than suffer the harsh footballing bummering that we will administer.

I say that with the greatest respect to Frank Lampard's Derby County, of course.

This was one of many a reason why I didn’t want Henry as villa manager.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Everytime I've watched us play at Wembley we've been the underdogs so going this time as favourites feels strange. 

I was quite young at the time, but would we not have been favourites for the League Cup final v Leeds? I remember us doing quite well in the league and Leeds having a bad season with Howard Wilkinson finishing bottom half?

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

I was quite young at the time, but would we not have been favourites for the League Cup final v Leeds? I remember us doing quite well in the league and Leeds having a bad season with Howard Wilkinson finishing bottom half?

Possibly mate. I probably didn't word thst right,  I joined the Army in 1996 so i was doing basic training when we played Leeds so couldn't go, what i meant to say was this was we be the first time I've actually been to Wembley and saw us play as favourites. 

2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think it will be 50/50 this idea that because we’ve beat them twice we’ll do it a third time is crap. I think it will be a single goal win 

I'm not saying we will definitely win, but after beating them 7-0 over two games I think it's fair that most have us down as favourites. 

8 hours ago, poitier said:

Without wanting to be overconfident, facing Derby in the play off final is pretty much like a bye through to the Premier League. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even bother to turn up for the match and take a statutory 0-3 loss rather than suffer the harsh footballing bummering that we will administer.

I say that with the greatest respect to Frank Lampard's Derby County, of course.

This is the kind of attitude that will lose us the game. To go to Leeds and score four is very impressive. It's noway going to be  a 'bye' to Premier league. 

Let's drop this level of arrogance we have done nothing yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Derby will give everything because it's a one-off game that results in the winners getting paid more money so there's no doubt they'll be well up for it. Villa should have the same attitude and if we apply ourselves in the exact same way, class and ability should prevail and we should win. 

There's one thing I just won't be able to stomach and that is the media wankfest that will take place around Frank Lampard's Derby winning. I would take a 10 point deduction going into next season if it only meant that Lampard wasn't splattered all over the sports pages. 

39 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm hoping Derby have played their "final" against Leeds. 

We're due a good performance and we've still managed to get to the final. 

That's a point Derby could have peaked that game. We certainly didn't. We were dreadful and nowhere near our best. 

I thought we were pretty poor in both legs. If we show up an dpwrfoem like that there is no question we will lose it. 

If we play our best and derby play theirs we would win without question. 

But it's a big if. So far we have not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I'm not saying we will definitely win, but after beating them 7-0 over two games I think it's fair that most have us down as favourites. 

I had a quick look on Paddy Power, we are favourites. 2.3/1 for the Dery win, 1.1/1 for Villa win. 2/1 for a draw. 

Dean Smith has Franks number. Experience hopefully will prevail in regard to tactics on the day. Just like Bielsa's had for 3 and a half games. Derby have some decent youngsters borrowed from other clubs, similar to us, that is what we need to keep tabs on. Im hopeful Mings & Tuanzebe will come out on top as they have many times before. Ill be quietly confident until that first whistle and the opening exchanges play out

Its our time i reckon this year,  Jack was born to lead us in the prem, Deano was born to manage us to the prem. Stars have aligned, record breaking winning run, semi going to pens and wba having no forwards on the pitch. Derby are on a good run of form but are generally just as inconsistant as us. This 10 day rest probably disrupts their form which is good whereas we could probably do with the regroup and ironing out our gameplan as the one we went into the semi with nearly cost us. If we dont perform on the day we'll only be able to blame ourselves but im looking forward to Jack and John returning to their best after a couple of mediocre displays. So happy we're here now after it looked impossible and that its Derby and not Leeds. We wont have a better chance than this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

'Dreadful?? I think this is an exaggeration mate!!

We controlled both games against a team we hadn't beaten in the league season.

We were woeful mate mostly in the second leg. The amount of mistakes and really poor passes we really could have been punished if we played. A team that had better fire power. If gayle was palying I think we would have lost had we performed like that. 

All I know is we have to be a hell of a lit better at Wembley or we might as wll not sure up as Derby will beat us after that game vs leeds

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

credit to Albion, they put all footballing dignity aside and played like a non league team at Man city away - even at their own ground.

One of the greatest back handed complements I’ve seen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1