18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

32 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree but I actually think we are stronger this year.

Midfield with McGinn in makes us much stronger in that area, Abraham is an upgrade on Grabban. The only area of the park we are possibly weaker is the back with Mings and Axel instead of Terry and Chester but I'd say that is a close run thing.

If only we had Snoddy on the wing...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

If only we had Snoddy on the wing...

Snoddy would certainly get into our team still now but we didn't have El Ghazi last year and he is certainly a potential match winner. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree but I actually think we are stronger this year.

Midfield with McGinn in makes us much stronger in that area, Abraham is an upgrade on Grabban. The only area of the park we are possibly weaker is the back with Mings and Axel instead of Terry and Chester but I'd say that is a close run thing.

I agree, Snodgrass would be an improvement but we also have a better more positive manager but West Brom is a tougher semi than Boro were. 

• Like 1

Guest av1
43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I agree, Snodgrass would be an improvement but we also have a better more positive manager but West Brom is a tougher semi than Boro were. 

You know I've been saying to my son for weeks that the baggies game is the only thing that worries me, especially with the second leg at their place. I don't know why but the thought of a final against Derby or Leeds doesn't worry me in the slightest. 

Best Baggies and we are up imo. 

40 minutes ago, av1 said:

You know I've been saying to my son for weeks that the baggies game is the only thing that worries me, especially with the second leg at their place. I don't know why but the thought of a final against Derby or Leeds doesn't worry me in the slightest. 

Best Baggies and we are up imo. 

Is it not a case that you're thinking one step at a time? We've got a tough two legs coming up against a decent team. I can't let myself think beyond these two games.

• Like 2

Thinking past the first leg is pretty pointless too at this point, win big and it's a non event, win by only one goal and it's very much on for them at their place but saying that we have enough quality to come from 1 or to down at their place!

I feel a lot more confident than last year though and we very nearly did it then.

We saw tonight with Liverpool nothing can be taken for grated first leg. You need to perform both legs. I do think if we get past West brom we are going to do it this year. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We saw tonight with Liverpool nothing can be taken for grated first leg. You need to perform both legs. I do think if we get past West brom we are going to do it this year. 

Never underestimate the power of the home crowd for the 2nd leg. It's like a cup final and they can have massively affect the result. That's my main disappointment in finishing 5th.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoganaldo said:

Right thinking the away goal rule's not used in the playoff's?

Correct. That stupid rule is saved for European football. 

• Like 2

Has there actually been statistical analysis done on how beneficial it is to have the home leg second?

That said, I can think of plenty of examples where teams with the away leg second have still won, so I don't think it's THAT crucial, and I think it'll matter less than it would've done under Bruce.

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah last year at Fulham I think we could have won that had we taken the game to Fulham but Bruce was so negative even with ten men we showed very little as a attacking side. 

If we get to Wembley and last year's experience I hope to see drive us on.

Maybe that will prove a benefit for us. If we get past the tesco bags then a Derby or Leeds as a squad will have not been through the Wembley final experience as recently as us. Might help us a little.

Agree though we should have won last year. Fulham were no great shakes, as it has proven.

I hope we can emulate the mental approach the Liverpool boys managed....that total belief and never say die attitude, will take us to the promised land.

We lost last season and that mental toughness needs to be taken in to these playoffs.....We have the ability, but its the approach and application that will get us over the line.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We're absolutely better than last year, and it's not even close IMO. Better at creating chances, better at scoring chances, stronger defence.

We're the best side in the playoffs if we play anywhere near our best.

• Like 1

This year feels very different to last season. Last season I never had the belief we would beat Fulham and win the playoffs. 

This time around I have 100% belief we can win these playoffs. As disappointing as it was to lose last year, it wasn’t surprising. Hindsight suggests it may have been for the best not to win that day anyway, the way the ownership transpired. 

We are the ones to watch this time around, playing great football, and playing without fear. The mentality of Smith and the players will ensure we have no fear in the playoffs which will, I believe, give us a huge advantage against the other teams. 

8 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Never underestimate the power of the home crowd for the 2nd leg. It's like a cup final and they can have massively affect the result. That's my main disappointment in finishing 5th.

In a perfect world we can build a 2 to 3 goal lead which will dampen their crowd a little......

14 hours ago, PaulC said:

Snodgrass was flagging hugely towards the end of the season and with Smith's high pressing style, I'm not sure he'd be able to work within that system. 

I'd take this team over last years team every single time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I agree with that. I think if second leg was at villa Park we would win this one with ease. If it ends a draw or loss at villa Park it's going to be tough at their place. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I hope we can emulate the mental approach the Liverpool boys managed....that total belief and never say die attitude, will take us to the promised land.

We lost last season and that mental toughness needs to be taken in the these playoffs.....We have the ability, but its the approach and application that will get us over the line.

The crowd played a big part in that result.   We need something similar at villa park on Saturday to take a good lead back to Hawthorns. There’s no away goal rule so don’t need to be weary of them scoring. Let’s do a 4-1 on them!

• Like 1