18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

6 minutes ago, sne said:

No away goal rule makes me feel much more confident about us overcoming West Brom.

Yes true. I do hope if we do take an advantage to second leg that our players don't think the jobs done eg Barcelona. 

Defensively albion are poor so they will concede if we take the game to them. Let's treat this game like its a Derby vs Blose. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The crowd played a big part in that result.   We need something similar at villa park on Saturday to take a good lead back to Hawthorns. There’s no away goal rule so don’t need to be weary of them scoring. Let’s do a 4-1 on them!

I think you are right......Its the total belief from all concerned that will get us there....We know all the stars, but I think Glen Whelan, will be so important to us....He has already touched on the pain of last Year, that needs to be the motivating force.

We can do this.

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

We're absolutely better than last year, and it's not even close IMO. Better at creating chances, better at scoring chances, stronger defence.

We're the best side in the playoffs if we play anywhere near our best.

Is my point.....We need 3 games to be totally mentally focused.....razor sharp mentally and physically.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree but I actually think we are stronger this year.

Midfield with McGinn in makes us much stronger in that area, Abraham is an upgrade on Grabban. The only area of the park we are possibly weaker is the back with Mings and Axel instead of Terry and Chester but I'd say that is a close run thing.

I actually think we are stronger, There too......Goal keeper no so sure.

In an effort to explain my thinking I hope i do not discredit JT & JC

Tyrone and Axel are better in the air, more dominant and attack the ball with more vigour.......They have the athleticism of youth and physicality of stature.

I love John Terry as a player but at 37 and after the last injury, it was starting to show, James Chester was always physically suspect for me and having to rely on John for that was a bit concerning for me....his present injury, does also bode the question,how long has he been suffering.

I accept that its a close call.....but for me, I am sure.........its the new boys for me.

Bring it on.....UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Yeah with the injury and a long season Terry had run out of steam by the end of the season.

He was still pretty good, but it showed he wasn't on his a-game anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No I imagine it's the 2-0 at home when we hardly got a kick.

Hopefully you're being sarcastic..

In that match we had 64% possession, and were equal in shots on target and in total.

Nearly doubled their passes and had 13% higher completion rate.. We also quadrupled the amount of corners for.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Hopefully you're being sarcastic..

In that match we had 64% possession, and were equal in shots on target and in total.

Nearly doubled their passes and had 13% higher completion rate.. We also quadrupled the amount of corners for.

Dunno didn't see it tbh. Nice list of numbers.

I know we lost and it was thankfully the end of our horrible run.

Much as i love Terry and Chessie, mings and whoever (probably Hause) are a better pairing. 

The only one you'd take from albion is Johnston over Steer. Rodrigues is class. however now we have Mings i'm not as worried about him. man for man we are the best in this little tournament.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Dunno didn't see it tbh. Nice list of numbers.

I know we lost and it was thankfully the end of our horrible run.

Got to love an enlightened, informed comment!

My memory of that game was that it was very even and they scored a couple of sublimely finished, but on another day definitely going to be missed, goals. At least one of them. I also remember that neither team was particularly great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Complete disaster if we don't go up. Mings, Axel, Abraham, El Ghazi, Jack. All of them will be gone

Do you just keep repeating this stuff? I swear I saw you say exactly the same thing a week or so ago. It's so obvious and we all know — relax.

• Like 1

I think what people are overlooking with the Liverpool comeback to beat Barcelona is that neither first or second leg scores were reflective of the balance of play..

The thing is, and what made it such an enthralling encounter, is that Liverpool were very decent in the first leg despite leaving with a 3 goal deficit..

Once Barcelona have a three goal lead, everyone's confident it's over and expects them to hold on, and because they didn't some people explain their disbelief by assuming failure.

The promise of Messi's Barcelona having finished the job wasn't to be, and like any broken promise we aren't always sure how to feel or what to think about it..

If you watched the games, neither Liverpool in the first leg, nor Barcelona in the second leg, were entirely on the receiving end. Both had quality passages of play and created..

It's what made it such a freakish tie.

11 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

The only one you'd take from albion is Johnston over Steer. Rodrigues is class. however now we have Mings i'm not as worried about him. man for man we are the best in this little tournament.

Rather have Steer. Johnstone didnt make any spectacular saves, he just happened to be in the most defensive of set ups so hardly had to face a shot. Because of this he naturally got a lot of clean sheets and some fans thought he was amazing because of it.

You speak to WBA fans and they dont really rate him, maybe because they had a proper keeper for so long in Ben Foster so have someone good to compare him to.

36 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Rather have Steer. Johnstone didnt make any spectacular saves, he just happened to be in the most defensive of set ups so hardly had to face a shot. Because of this he naturally got a lot of clean sheets and some fans thought he was amazing because of it.

You speak to WBA fans and they dont really rate him, maybe because they had a proper keeper for so long in Ben Foster so have someone good to compare him to.

Johnstone has had a tough season, but that above is revisionism IMO. He made plenty of crucial saves last season and he was a commanding presence behind the back 4. He was up there for player of the season I thought. 

What he can't do is play football. Steer on the other hand is a class footballer, without the size or presence of Johnstone. Although also Baggies fans have seemed to notice he is susceptible to long range shots too, he can't seem to sort his feet out. I seem to remember a similar theme at Villa last season. Which is why we should be shooting on sight as often as we fancy it on Saturday.