18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agreed. I really hope Derby can put away Leeds. Leeds players maybe "meh" but Bielsa is the only manager in the playoffs who scares the crap out of me. 

Then again we havent beaten West Brom yet. They have some very very good players.

I agree in part. I think Bielsa will get more out of his team than we've seen and celebrated in their recent outings, come the playoffs. Foolish to ignore their potential.

Leeds have players too. One of note, Pablo Hernandez, who even at 34, is one of the top candidates to challenge Grealish for the best player in the division..

Hernandez has 12 goals, 12 assists. The most key passes of any player in the division and is top ten for passes per game, as well as top ten for shots per game..

He's mostly played on their right, so if we meet again, Taylor and probably El Ghazi in particular, have a big task of marking him out and nullifying his threat.

WBA have some top players throughout the pitch and can punish mistakes, however giving up over 60% possession and conceding 13 shots on target at Derby says something..

In victory against us, they allowed us 64% possession and equal opportunities at goal. We're an improved outfit since then. Give us 64% possession and we'll bury them I reckon..

Personally unless Leeds rekindle that spark, we're without a doubt the best team left in the promotion race. Certainly the in form side in any case.

UTV!

• Like 1

Comparisons with our other seasons in the Championship:

image.thumb.png.baf6ce9061a2d5621cfee2a88f0aa894.png

16/17 - 62 points | 17/18 - 83 points | 18/19 - 76 points

image.thumb.png.492b0cfec3364c12341ee919b05fb291.png

16/17 -13th | 17/18 - 4th | 18/19 - 5th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And how many of those seasons have we played in the 2nd tier?

This to an extent. 2nd tier has more games per season than the 1st tier so it's only natural if you're one of the better sides in that division.

Don't write off Leeds. They are still a very dangerous side and they have a top manager in Bielsa. I think they will stuff Derby quite easily tbh esp with second leg at Elland Road. 

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Don't write off Leeds. They are still a very dangerous side and they have a top manager in Bielsa. I think they will stuff Derby quite easily tbh esp with second leg at Elland Road. 

I fully expect them to reach the final. If we get there we will be in for one helluva game.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

This to an extent. 2nd tier has more games per season than the 1st tier so it's only natural if you're one of the better sides in that division.

The stat was presented without opinion as far as I can tell. 

Hes not using it to back up any argument. It’s just a fact. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I read like that as well. It is a fact and one we should be happy about, 2nd tier or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I know it's a fact.

But what is also a fact is that we've played the majority of our seasons in Premier League and the first division before it got re-named.

Championship and Premier League are not comparable, not at all.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I know it's a fact.

But what is also a fact is that we've played the majority of our seasons in Premier League and the first division before it got re-named.

Did you say the same when people used to mention Bruce and his win percentage?

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You do realise it’s just a statistic, right?

Like the ten wins in a row is just a statistic and so is Tammy teaching 25 league goals. Are they important as winning promotion, of course not. But they’re fairly noteworthy. Hell, loads of people were talking about the ten wins thing, but I didn’t hear “oh but it’s not in the top division...doesn’t count.”

I’m pretty sure @OutByEaster? isn’t saying that this therefore makes this villa team the best for nearly half a century. If he was saying that, that would be incorrect, but he’s not. It’s a statistic, not an opinion. 

But all these statistical achievements are nice little indicators that things are going rather well for us on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I know it's a fact.

But, again, nobody is comparing them. Nobody is saying it’s a better achievement scoring 82 goals in the championship than scoring 75 in the premier league. 

Its just a fact. Presented as such. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Is exactly what I was about to post. It's just a simple fact, no context given.  Some people would argue with a thimble of potting compost. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

My local area FB page this morning has a piece about Revie's 1972 Cup winning team, with loads of approving comments from Leeds fans. I'm just cueing up my comment - Cloughie's quote: 

"You lot may all be internationals, and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Don Revie. But as far as I’m concerned, the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find. Because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by cheating". 

With perhaps an observation about leopards and spots. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I would love nothing more than to see Leeds Utd walk away this season with absolutely sod all for all the bullshit we have witnessed surrounding them this season.

While I remain nervously optimistic about these play offs, I would love nothing more than a repeat of 1996 at Wembley with them and absolutely rip them apart again.