Match Thread: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

Well that was nerve wracking .

I'm stress eating pistachios like a crazy person.

So far it's working, but playing another 45 like this is leaving it too much to chance for my liking.

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

Thats the problem. Villa havent been set up to win this game they have been sent out to defend for 90 minutes and we just dont have the legs for it.

I don't believe that is the case.

My point is that Bruce doesn't just pick players in a vacuum. He has set us up to nullify the threats that Boro pose - so far he's succeeded for 3 halves of football. He is hoping we can pick them off on the break and so far we've had the best of the chances despite having less possession. Johnstone has not made a save.

• Like 2

Grabban needs to hold the ball up more, he is too far from midfielders when defending. We have been comfortable so far but an outball will get us further up the pitch

Really tight game but still all to play for.

Worried about either Snodgrass or Hutton getting sent off. They really need to be careful second half particularly with this referee.

I think Kodjia could make a difference at some point in the second half as he gives us an out ball and assuming he's interested could be the difference to us going through or not.

• Like 1

Just now, romavillan said:

they don't look comfortable with the press we are getting them in, Bruce might need to bring on some fresh legs to keep that up, if we are sitting deep with 10 to go and they are still only a goal down it's going to be **** ugly as ****. You'd like to think we'll get a couple of clearish chances, we desperately need to be taking one,.

Agreed.

Based on this I think it was a relatively successful first half. We had a period of being all over them.

Few more chances would've been nice.

Not a great first half, but Boro want this win as much as we do which means for a lot of the game we're going to be cancelling each other out. 

We have pressed and tried to make chances, arguably the better chances of the half, but again Boro have pressed and tried to make chances.

Both sides look pretty nervy when under pressure, which to be fair makes sense given what is at stake if you lose tonight.

Has Bruce potentially got it wrong? Maybe, but he's got a final 45 minutes to rectify that, but don't forget he got it pretty spot on last match given we completely nullified Boro and came away with a win.

I'm not intending to make excuses here, I am just so sick and tired of the same negative people week in and week out only popping in to the match thread to moan, whine and cry.

I really hope some of you are happier in real life cause I feel for your friends and family if you're not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If this goes to extra time were screwed.

We have not controlled the game and chased the whole half.

I'm afraid tired legs will undo us.

We need to offer some sort of a threat up front, Middlesborough CB's were parked on the half way line for 20 mins towards the end off the first half.

It was game management at the end at Boro but that's where it should have stayed. We've pretty much spent most of that first half doing what we did in the second half of the first leg. It only takes a goal from them and we are staring defeat in the face. 

They're showing great experience but that experience also carries older legs for Villa and that's why I worry that the pace of Fulham will be too much for us, should we get through. 

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

This is really dangerous. We needed a goal to almost kill the tie. As every minute that passes it looks like this will end 0-0 or go to extra time (or worse).

0-0 would be just fine! 

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

I really hope some of you are happier in real life cause I feel for your friends and family if you're not.

I've already put an axe into the wife. 

• Haha 1

If it stays like this we won't survive they will throw the kitchen sink at us in the last 10 minutes. They will have nothing to lose by then and everything to gain.

I mean when a Pulis team has more possession then you, you know your playing shite.