Match Thread: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I don't believe that is the case.

My point is that Bruce doesn't just pick players in a vacuum. He has set us up to nullify the threats that Boro pose - so far he's succeeded for 3 halves of football. He is hoping we can pick them off on the break and so far we've had the best of the chances despite having less possession. Johnstone has not made a save.

Pick them off on the break with what? Theres more pace in a corpse than in our 11.

He could easily have swapped a number of players in that 11 to keep things fresh and maintain a side capable of doing the same in the first half.

The 2nd half will see a number of our players fade and if tired legs cost us bruce sjould be sacked on the spot.

Failure to rotate has cost us all season.

• Like 1

I don't think it's as bad as all that, it's still the same Bruce side we' know and erm love. They weren't going to suddenly turn into Brazil just coz we all desperately want them to. They need to just not drop quite so deep, but that said, playing deep and getting out quick isn't so stupid as we don't want space for Adama behind ou defenders...

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Im a Villa fan of 28 years ...been to hundreds of games had season tickets in every part of the ground... have a corporate seat which I give away ... so if it is ok with you I'll voice my opinions just as much as the next man if that is alright ?! 

Anyways it was  not the best time to be so critical I get that .... just frustrations with Bruce and the way we play. 

Didn’t ask about how long you’d been a fan. I asked why you bothered to watch if you enjoy it so little. Perhaps those people who ‘excuse bruce’ also are entitled to their opinions as much as the next man...

I agree it’s not the time though. We’re all villa fans and we want our team to do well. No hard feelings hopefully :) 

• Like 1

Paul Merson is a right knob.

Once again not one good word to say about us. Something must have gone on during his time here for him to be so negative about us every single time he reports on us.

And for that reason i cant stand the bloke. First class sausage jockey. 

I hope Pulis leaves it later in t game again to bring on Bamford.... with his intelligence and our tired legs.... saying that we have Kodija so .... 

bring on the next 45mins ! 

if we hang on here, we need a master plan to beat Fulham and just dont think Bruce has one. We arent affording Adama any space and maybe thats why we are so deep and compact surrendering possession higher up the pitch, but their press is making us rush and lose the ball a lot.

Ah well, so used to this hanging on feeling with Villa, doesnt make any easier though

If this is the way we play football under Steve Bruce then we're going nowhere. When you've got the better players and yet you still insist in keeping ten men within 30 metres of our goal line you deserve to get shafted.

I know Bruce hopes we can catch Middlesborough out when they make a mistake, but for goodness sake we're better than they are and luck shouldn't come into it.

Have the balls to play some proper football second half Steve!

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Italy won the World Cup playing like this.

Possibly offered a little more than we do on the counter and had one of the best back fours and keeper ever, but yeah....

• Like 1

Hmm, we are competing, but there's very little composure from either team. So long as it continues exactly like this without anyone scoring, then fine. If we get the first goal, we'll cruise, if they do, then I fear for us, I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Pick them off on the break with what? Theres more pace in a corpse than in our 11.

He could easily have swapped a number of players in that 11 to keep things fresh and maintain a side capable of doing the same in the first half.

The 2nd half will see a number of our players fade and if tired legs cost us bruce sjould be sacked on the spot.

Failure to rotate has cost us all season.

I respectfully disagree. Grealish, Adomah & Hourihane breaking from midfield are all very pacey. Even Hutton is remarkably quick.

• Like 2

Nullified them well, but damn if defensive football isn't nervewrecking. Please get us a goal or five so I can breathe a little easier. Margins. I want them.