New Manager Speculation

maqroll

You’re dreaming if you think we can afford a manager like Benitez or Wenger. Their wages in the year will be astronomical, and probably triple what Bruce is on, at least.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You’re dreaming if you think we can afford a manager like Benitez or Wenger. Their wages in the year will be astronomical, and probably triple what Bruce is on, at least.

Arsene is already a multi millionaire, it’s not about the money, he wants a challenge. He’s wasted years at a small club from London, he wants to manage a big club. Arsene’s Villa you know you want it! Come on Rob live the dream!! :flag:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I'd wet myself if Wenger came to Villa for a new challenge. Doubt he's that bonkers though

Wenger is one of the most bonkers men I've ever seen.

• Like 1

St Mirren are apparently looking at Real Madrid legend  and current youth team coach Guti. :D

Now that would be an interesting appointment for us to replace Bruce.

Guy was an artist as a player and won everything his first year as manager with his youth team.

Although he is apparently a candidate to take over at Real...

Nice read up on him:

Guti has followed in the modern trend of playing from the back with short passes, occupying the crucial zones on the pitch and winning the ball back high up the pitch. He implemented this style of play at Juvenil A and one must say that it was a success. His players adapted quite quickly to this new style, which was completely different from that of his predecessor Santiago Solari.

Guti was flexible when it comes to formations and shapes. He had no problem adjusting the formation to get the best out of certain players that he felt could carry the team. He experimented with three at the back and variations of a three and four-man midfield.

https://www.managingmadrid.com/2018/6/1/17413342/an-analysis-on-guti-as-a-potential-candidate-for-real-madrids-head-coaching-job

Still young in management thou so he will need to be given time.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KHV said:

The great Bielsa. Won two Argentine league titles 20 odd years ago and an Olympic medal with Argentina . Apparently plays nice football but mostltly unsuccessful for his entire 30 year career. A footballing myth if ever I have seen one. File along Jack Wilshire. Lots of hype but fails to deliver virtually all of the time. Leeds can have him. He will deliver **** all as he does 99.9% of the time. He will probably lose his shit and quit at some point. Quite why people get excited by him is beyond me.

Yeah who would want a coach revered by pep klopp poch etc and who is considered to be one of the greatest coaches and tacticians of the modern game. He is reknowned for improving players and working with youth playing attractive high tempo football.  But Who needs that though when we have Bruce ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40879274

Sampaoli [Argentina boss], Diego Simeone [Atletico Madrid manager], Gerardo Martino [Atlanta United boss] and Sevilla head coach Eduardo Berizzo all cite Bielsa as a major influence on their style of management.

He is as mad as they come for sure and he would be entertaining 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2018 at 06:14, John said:

Given our financial situation, can we really afford to appoint another manager and his backroom staff as well as pay up the contracts of the ones we have? 

Can we afford not to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Yeah who would want a coach revered by pep klopp poch etc and who is considered to be one of the greatest coaches and tacticians of the modern game. He is reknowned for improving players and working with youth playing attractive high tempo football.  But Who needs that though when we have Bruce ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40879274

He is as mad as they come for sure and he would be entertaining 

In the same article it says he left lazio after 2 days in charge and walked out on marsielle after first game of the season, add that to the fact he is a pretty unsuccessful manager why would you want him? Because pep and poch like him? 

Arsene wenger liked remi garde and he's f'in terrible. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

In the same article it says he left lazio after 2 days in charge and walked out on marsielle after first game of the season, add that to the fact he is a pretty unsuccessful manager why would you want him? Because pep and poch like him? 

Arsene wenger liked remi garde and he's f'in terrible. 

I raise you Fergie and Mcleish. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I assume you're being facetious, but the answer is 'yes'. 

I’m not being facetious.  With big budgets, and three windows he failed, but with no budget and 2 windows it will somehow magically work?   Not a risk we can afford to take.  

• Like 3

One  of the recurring reasons I keep hearing for retaining Steve Bruce seems to be the risk of appointing a successor. The argument is we can’t attract a top manager from the PL or abroad or even the likes of Big Sam etc. That may well be true, but we are at the moment a Championship club and so therefore a good Championship manager is what we need. Steve Bruce I hear you cry, he’s been promoted 4 times! No denying that, but in the two times we asked him to get us promoted he didn’t manage to do that. And next season if all we read is anywhere near true, he will have less to work with than the last two seasons.

His style of management hasn’t changed over the years and it’s unlikely it will now. I’m not saying he hasn’t contributed to picking us up, or that he’s a bad manager. The problem is the way football has developed over the last few seasons has changed and will continue to do so. In fact it has probably changed relatively more in The Championship than it has in the PL. What I believe we need is a progressive manager, who is forward thinking and can embrace the way football has changed and continues to change. They may come from within the Championship or elsewhere, I don’t know, but hopefully someone at the club knows. Because when we do find the right guy and he takes us up, we will need to be ready for the PL. If we had beaten Fulham, the aging squad, albeit with new faces added, with old style management would have struggled badly next season.

The argument that an inexperienced manager won’t cope with a club the size of Villa is a valid one. But the right man will cope, every great manger has their first big club. And since it is argued that we can’t attract an established manager, then the choice is stick or find someone developing his managerial skills who we can move forward together with. I believe we should try to make the change, a risk yes, but one I think we should take, IF we can find someone who we believe is truely worth the risk. There are no guarantees of course, but the club has to catch up with the rest of the football world, because it ain’t waiting for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We need stability, not a quick fix. Maybe a couple more years in the Championship, with a manager tasked with implementing a style of football for the club, would be more beneficial than yo-yoing between the PL and Championship. We have gone through so many different managers in such a short space of time, all with different styles of play, it's no wonder the inconsistency creeps in from time to time. We need to find our own Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche. A long term investment.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We need stability, not a quick fix. Maybe a couple more years in the Championship, with a manager tasked with implementing a style of football for the club, would be more beneficial than yo-yoing between the PL and Championship. We have gone through so many different managers in such a short space of time, all with different styles of play, it's no wonder the inconsistency creeps in from time to time. We need to find our own Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche. A long term investment.

Yep, we now need to fix around 10 years worth of mistakes, I'd happily sit in the Championship for next 3 years in and around mid table if I could see other things improving like reducing the wage budget, bringing in more youth players that are actually decent. 

The problem with this is fans are impatient, especially villa fans, we could be 4 months in with a new manager with new ideas trying this route but the bedsheets would be out because we are not in top 6. 

• Like 3

I think Bruce is the antithesis of stability. The experienced loan players are gone. Hourihane and Elmo the only 2 of 7 players he brought in that was ever present. Whelan to a lesser extent. Taylor and Lansbury I think are junk. Bjarnasson isn't a DM or a winger so what is he? Bree who knows. Hogan could be good but never under Bruce ball

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I’m not being facetious.  With big budgets, and three windows he failed, but with no budget and 2 windows it will somehow magically work?   Not a risk we can afford to take.  

We can't afford a lot, apparently, and if that is true we will be able to afford even less if we spend millions of pounds sacking a manager and his backroom staff. 

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think Bruce is the antithesis of stability. The experienced loan players are gone. Hourihane and Elmo the only 2 of 7 players he brought in that was ever present. Whelan to a lesser extent. Taylor and Lansbury I think are junk. Bjarnasson isn't a DM or a winger so what is he? Bree who knows. Hogan could be good but never under Bruce ball

What's bjarnason? A good cm thats what he is.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

If Bruce were going, he’d be gone by now! May as well pause this thread! 

You might be right, but perhaps the board are exploring other candidates before deciding. These are big decisions and on a human level, involve individuals and their families. It takes time. 

• Like 1