New Manager Speculation

maqroll

On 29/05/2018 at 12:30, briny_ear said:

Just a note of caution: the Italian sporting press is always awash with speculation of this kind this at this time of year. 

The stories usually have as much staying power as their governments.

Yes, this all seems to come from a calciomercato.it "article", it's an agents vehicle that site puts out all manner of bullshit constantly.

• Like 1

I'd also like some sources for the ideas going about on here that Dean Smith has little to do with, tactics, training, subs during a game, transfers etc.

Why the **** would you hire a head coach who didn't train the team, pick the team, sort the tactics out and be in charge of substitutions?!

Possible people being a bit confused about how group decisions work? Normally a head coach under a director of football would draw up a list of targets together, then the DoF would go and get what he could. Just because it's not the head coaches exclusive decision english manager style, does no mean he's not involved. Just because a head coach has a team of coaches, or is working to a plan devised by a DoF, does not mean he contributes nothing to the tactics and the subs?!? 

I'm all for that sort of model at Villa anyway, so if Dean Smith is part of that puzzle and we get other talented people in so we can work that way, then win win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Manager doesn't necessarily have to be employed.

Very true. Although I’m not sure there’s a cheaper, currently unemployed manager out there that I’d rather have than Bruce? 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Very true. Although I’m not sure there’s a cheaper, currently unemployed manager out there that I’d rather have than Bruce? 

What's Bruce actually on? Must be a fairly high wage. Wonder what Allardyce or Moyes would ask for if we moved for them.

48 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I'd also like some sources for the ideas going about on here that Dean Smith has little to do with, tactics, training, subs during a game, transfers etc.

Why the **** would you hire a head coach who didn't train the team, pick the team, sort the tactics out and be in charge of substitutions?!

Possible people being a bit confused about how group decisions work? Normally a head coach under a director of football would draw up a list of targets together, then the DoF would go and get what he could. Just because it's not the head coaches exclusive decision english manager style, does no mean he's not involved. Just because a head coach has a team of coaches, or is working to a plan devised by a DoF, does not mean he contributes nothing to the tactics and the subs?!? 

I'm all for that sort of model at Villa anyway, so if Dean Smith is part of that puzzle and we get other talented people in so we can work that way, then win win.

Chap who sits next to me lives that way - and goes to Brentford when he isn't watching Villa. He told me thats how it works - There has also been a Brentford fan on here saying that is how it works. Smith coaches the players that others buy. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

What's Bruce actually on? Must be a fairly high wage. Wonder what Allardyce or Moyes would ask for if we moved for them.

Don’t think they’d touch this job with no money to spend - it’s a very different scenario to what is was 2 seasons ago . 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Chap who sits next to me lives that way - and goes to Brentford when he isn't watching Villa. He told me thats how it works - There has also been a Brentford fan on here saying that is how it works. Smith coaches the players that others buy. 

Ok, I doubt he has zero input on transfers but that's pretty much how it works everywhere apart from the UK anyway. So not really very weird. I'd love us to get some continuity by hiring a talented director of football with a plan, so changing the head coach does not then mean starting from scratch. That's transfers though, and I do doubt he has no say in them regardless.

It was also suggested he has no input on tactics and subs though, which borders on ridiculous. If you're head coach does not train the team to play a certain way (even if the certain way is the brain child of the director of football) and has no say on the tactics and the subs, then you might as well just give a fuckton of cash to the mascot and get him to stand on the touchline waving his arms. I very much doubt the people running things at Brentford are that stupid.

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

You know, I think this exchange might have been more productive if you had actually read what I was saying rather than assuming you knew and systematically misquoting me.

But, hey-ho, this is the New Manager thread on Villatalk so it’s just to be expected I guess.

Meanwhile I wish you joy living in a world where you believe bookies can predict the future. Hope you didn’t need all that money/your possessions/your house etc.;)

I think this is the part where I get my coat.;) Adios.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

That's exactly what we need,"evolution ". No more, please, of this Neanderthal football. 

There's a reason why Moyes and Allyardyce are no longer managing. Because as effective as the football might sometimes be, I'm afraid, that's all it is. Some of us just want to be entertained, that's all. 

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Spot on. Build a support team, let them concentrate on their strengths and guide them in delivering your vision on the field.

Just call Dean Smith before some other club gets him. 

Fashions change, it's about time they did down at Villa Park.  Football has moved beyond shell suits and tight shorts.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Left field option - Steve Agnew - sort of stability - but a change - Round who was probably pushed out by Bruce gets his role beefed up.

Not for me - fresh approach and no role for Agnew or Calderwood in it - they will probably join Bruce elsewhere . 

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think if Bruce goes it will be an out of work manager - I have a feeling for Mark Warbutton

I’d be quite pleased with that - done a decent job at Brentford and did well at rangers without much cash - could do a lot worse,