New Manager Speculation

maqroll

As much as i like Bruce the man I really hope we don't start the season with him. We need to freshen things up for sure. Im kinda hoping the Dr is gonna surprise us all and make a big statement of how big his bollocks are by pulling off some kind of arsene wenger singing !!! ( hey stranger things have happened)

But if I'm going to keep it real then I wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Mellberg. I'd hate for us to get rid of Bruce just to replace him with somebody like Moyes or fat Sam. 

• Like 1

I've come to float the initials AVB. 

Before anyone mentions salary, I'm sure the man with the most promotions ever from the Championship isn't on a small packet. 

1 minute ago, Sam3773 said:

Before anyone mentions salary, I'm sure the man with the most promotions ever from the Championship isn't on a small packet. 

Didn't he retire from management to become a rally car driver?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Didn't he retire from management to become a rally car driver?

Perfect, then he knows how to deal with a car crash. 

But really, I seem to recall reading somewhere that might fancy a return to the dugout. 

16 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

" A big troubled club like Villa " ? I thought Bruce had sorted all that out.

The spirit was now fine, I was led to believe. I've been hoodwinked.

You certainly have been hoodwinked. I’ve no idea where you got all that from.

Steve Bruce has certainly dragged the squad out of the aimless drift it was displaying at the start of last season., and to be honest which continued for much of last season. The squad has been much more focused this season and the spirit has been patently better - I think that must be obvious to everyone. Just look at how Jack Grealish has come on and responded to playing with John Terry. Surely you can pause just for a moment in your continuous rants about Steve Bruce to take some pleasure in that?

But the club is still a mess, financially with loss of parachute payments and FFP restrictions; in terms of the unbalanced squad - we still have Carles Gil on the books FFS, and many others we don’t want or need. Also, the team hasn’t been doing well enough. You might have noticed that on May 26th?

You think Dean Smith could take all that on? You’re having a laugh.

I guess the board have to weigh up whether Bruce has shown enough progress to bet on him getting us up next season, or if they can find another manager with the strength to deal with all the club’s problems more effectively.

9 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I've always wanted that based on the name alone. lol

Aston Villas Boas.

Same reason when I was younger I dreamed we would get David Villa.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Marco Silva: A theme is emerging. Silva did poorly in England when managing Watford and Hull (1.12 & 1.23 ppg), but did well at Olympiacos and Sporting before them.

Dunno if this is your opinion or part of your web search?

He didn't do badly in England at all for me. His squad with Hull was preposterously bad and he nearly kept them up, would have been a miracle. Then he was flying with Watford and when Everton got involved it all went a bit tits up and the team seemed to get upset at him being linked with another job. Watford did as they do, sacked as soon as their manager at the first sign on trouble and stayed up. Before Everton were linked they were around 8th or something and looking very good.

He'd be a fantastic appointment.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He didn't do badly in England at all for me. His squad with Hull was preposterously bad and he nearly kept them up, would have been a miracle. Then he was flying with Watford and when Everton got involved it all went a bit tits up and the team seemed to get upset at him being linked with another job. Watford did as they do, sacked as soon as their manager at the first sign on trouble and stayed up. Before Everton were linked they were around 8th or something and looking very good.

Dr Tony actually gave him praise when we played Hull last season.

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Steve Bruce has certainly dragged the squad out of the aimless drift it was displaying at the start of last season., and to be honest which continued for much of last season. The squad has been much more focused this season and the spirit has been patently better - I think that must be obvious to everyone. Just look at how Jack Grealish has come on and responded to playing with John Terry. Surely you can pause just for a moment in your continuous rants about Steve Bruce to take some pleasure in that?

But the club is still a mess, financially with loss of parachute payments and FFP restrictions; in terms of the unbalanced squad - we still have Carles Gil on the books FFS, and many others we don’t want or need. Also, the team hasn’t been doing well enough. You might have noticed that on May 26th?

Bruce has just failed with one of the best squads in the league. He couldn't handle it all without sniping at fans either.

Dean Smith might be able to, who knows?

We know Bruce can't without cracking under the pressure and flopping in a play-off final.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I guess the board have to weigh up whether Bruce has shown enough progress to bet on him getting us up next season, or if they can find another manager with the strength to deal with all the club’s problems more effectively.

Blah, blah, blah. You do realise why we never got promoted ? Because the football just wasn't good enough.

That is the responsibility of the manager, like it or not. He had his chance and blew it. Even the bookies knew  we'd lose. Another season of that dire football ? No, thanks.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seen something about Gareth Ainsworth being talked to, Wycombe Wanderers manager?

Could someone shed some light as I know nothing about him.

I've heard that he isn't exactly an advocate of good football. He's been known to be quite negative, and has always set Wycombe up as a negative team. Always diving/time wasting/persistently fouling.

Things may have changed last year as he got them promoted but I don't think he'd be a fans favourite.

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Isn’t he more or less nailed on to go to Everton?

Dean Smith would be a disaster.

The reason why Brentford have a footballing philosophy is because they have a head of football philosophy not because of Dean Smith.

They have about 14 coaches to help the team on particular parts of their play..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Dean Smith would be a disaster.

The reason why Brentford have a footballing philosophy is because they have a head of football philosophy.

Can we bring him as well?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hippo said:

Nathan Jones - risky but very highly rated within the game. not sure he would leave luton at this point though.

Think Luton were 3rd highest league scorer's after City and Liverpool ...got Luton up but they had biggest budget in league and came 2nd to Acrington who had smallest budget

Risky and as I said previously Luton are close to get approval for a new Stadium so I think he will stay there for now and see where he can take them  

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

It was just based on my web search. I welcome your opinion, and now I’m firmly in the ‘Silva In’ camp! I’ve not paid attention to the Premier League since we dropped out of it.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Blah, blah, blah. You do realise why we never got promoted ? Because the football just wasn't good enough.

That is the responsibility of the manager, like it or not. He had his chance and blew it. Even the bookies knew  we'd lose. Another season of that dire football ? No, thanks.

Yes, that’s what I said in my post. Whereas you seemed confused because you seemed to think Bruce had solved all our problems. Make your mind up, pal.

BTW, just on a factual point, the bookies didn't “Know we’d lose”. Bookies can’t predict the future. Betting odds are set in relation to the amount of money placed on each outcome so as to minimise payouts whatever happens. So they were just reflecting the fact that more money was being put on Fulham. That bears no relation to the actual outcome of the game.

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Your right, " far too fetched ". He's  a wonderful manager , which was evident from the scintillating football we played on Saturday.

Forgive me. Not.

So a manager would deliberately reign in a coach that was being successful for him? Why would anyone do that?