New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So a manager would deliberately reign in a coach that was being successful for him? Why would anyone do that?

Why would anyone set up so defensively for a play - off final  ?Therein lies the answer.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, that’s what I said in my post. Whereas you seemed confused because you seemed to think Bruce had solved all our problems. Make your mind up, pal.

BTW, just on a factual point, the bookies didn't “Know we’d lose”. Bookies can’t predict the future. Betting odds are set in relation to the amount of money placed on each outcome so as to minimise payouts whatever happens. So they were just reflecting the fact that more money was being put on Fulham. That bears no relation to the actual outcome of the game.

Cause they can read the future. Just like you can about Dean Smith.

I didn't think he'd solved much really. I was going by the posts of others, who seemed to think, after us with winning a few games, all was now fine down Villa Park. I'm still hurting from that performance on Saturday, and you've the temerity to tell me he's the only man strong enough for the job. Please !

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, that’s what I said in my post. Whereas you seemed confused because you seemed to think Bruce had solved all our problems. Make your mind up, pal.

BTW, just on a factual point, the bookies didn't “Know we’d lose”. Bookies can’t predict the future. Betting odds are set in relation to the amount of money placed on each outcome so as to minimise payouts whatever happens. So they were just reflecting the fact that more money was being put on Fulham. That bears no relation to the actual outcome of the game.

Fulham would have been priced as favourite before a penny was exchanged in the betting market. It’s not just based on where the most money is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Dean Smith would be a disaster.

The reason why Brentford have a footballing philosophy is because they have a head of football philosophy not because of Dean Smith.

They have about 14 coaches to help the team on particular parts of their play..

He can bring his 14 coaches with him, if it means him getting us up and not having to watch the tripe I witnessed the weekend.

• Like 2

Just now, Rob182 said:

Fulham would have been priced as favourite before a penny was exchanged in the betting market. It’s not just based on where the most money is.

It comes down to the same thing. The neutral',s knew who the better team were, so that's where the smart money went. 

We're Aston Villa for God' s sake.

I think Bruce will be the manager for the first game... what happens then is up to him and the results

id be a bit wary of any club appointing Dean Smith, from hat ive read about Brentford I don think he has much say about anything - tactics, transfers and even subs

49 minutes ago, Skills said:

I think Bruce will be the manager for the first game... what happens then is up to him and the results

id be a bit wary of any club appointing Dean Smith, from hat ive read about Brentford I don think he has much say about anything - tactics, transfers and even subs

Well then hire whatever committee does make those decisions because they beat Steve Bruce who had a better roster twice this year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Whoever is in charge next season is surely only keeping the seat warm until the time is right for the return of Mellberg.

Now that would be a interesting appointment.  The only problem I have with mellberg is if he flops I wouldn't want his legendary status being effected.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Now that would be a interesting appointment.  The only problem I have with mellberg is if he flops I wouldn't want his legendary status being effected.

I like the idea of an ex-player, the last two we appointed did alright, but I know what you mean...

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Well then hire whatever committee does make those decisions because they beat Steve Bruce who had a better roster twice this year.  

we'd need a new owner bud...   lots of people floating his name about but I wouldn't be giving him the adulation.  Kinda like why Hogan was destined to fail at another club that don't play a certain 'style'

http://www.punditarena.com/football/english-football/thepateam/moneyball-matthew-benham-brentford-fc-unorthodox-quest-success/

6 hours ago, Skills said:

I don’t think any championship side is looking to appoint Dean Smith as a manager as the owners would have an understanding of his input in Brentford’s set up.However they might be interested in recruiting his as a coach to work under a manager.He is our head coach with 2 others alongside and they do work as a democratic team.Interesting you mention subs there was an instance last season where after the game Dean was happy to admit he was about to sub a player but he stayed on and got the winner due to the other 2 coaches saying he should stay on.Some fans and most commentators tend to criticise our set up and owner and peddle miss information especially around the time Warburton left (he was never sacked )but most of our fans are more than happy with our set up that suits a club of our size that has now completed 4 years of top half finnishes in the championship.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Cause they can read the future. Just like you can about Dean Smith.

I didn't think he'd solved much really. I was going by the posts of others, who seemed to think, after us with winning a few games, all was now fine down Villa Park. I'm still hurting from that performance on Saturday, and you've the temerity to tell me he's the only man strong enough for the job. Please !

You know, I think this exchange might have been more productive if you had actually read what I was saying rather than assuming you knew and systematically misquoting me.

But, hey-ho, this is the New Manager thread on Villatalk so it’s just to be expected I guess.

Meanwhile I wish you joy living in a world where you believe bookies can predict the future. Hope you didn’t need all that money/your possessions/your house etc.;)

Edited by briny_ear

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Whoever is in charge next season is surely only keeping the seat warm until the time is right for the return of Mellberg.

Mellberg has retired from management and is thinking of going to university, isn’t he?

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So a manager would deliberately reign in a coach that was being successful for him? Why would anyone do that?

The mere suggestion that this is what happened is complete and utter bollocks.

But people will write anything if it means removing all possible credit from Steve Bruce.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skills said:

He did, however (granted on a tiny budget) at Walsall. They were a very tidy, attacking team when he was snapped up by Brentford. I'd take him or someone like Paul Hurst in a heartbeat over Bruce right now, my feelings may change in the coming weeks with Saturday still fresh in the memory though.

1 hour ago, Hoof hearted said:

He did, however (granted on a tiny budget) at Walsall. They were a very tidy, attacking team when he was snapped up by Brentford. I'd take him or someone like Paul Hurst in a heartbeat over Bruce right now, my feelings may change in the coming weeks with Saturday still fresh in the memory though.

He didn't get a promotion in the third tier of English football. Sure they were a reasonable team in that division - but not enough to get me excited that he is the man to restore former glories.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Mellberg has retired from management and is thinking of going to university, isn’t he?

Aw. I am disappoint.