New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I haven't seen any good shouts for a replacement yet - not buying into any of the suggestions so far. 

I'm definitely not against getting a replacement in but it has to be the right guy. 

We won't know who that is until he gets the job and starts managing.

Any appointment will be considered a gamble.

A manager who wants his teams to play in a manner totally opposite to what I witnessed in the first - half against Fulham, might just fill me with confidence, because after that shambles, I'm convinced the current incumbent, is definitely not the right guy.

2 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Dean Smith - Brentford are doing well, sure, but that's their system. They have a number of coaches, psychologists, strategists, etc that have been there ages. When a manager goes, a new one slots in. It's easy to want Smith based on how Brentford play football, but how much is Dean Smith, how much is the pre-existing set up? (I seem to remember everyone wanting Warburton from Brentford around that era). 

Lee Johnson - I have the distinct pleasure of living near Bristol. The general consensus is that they want Johnson out and question his game management. Very inexperienced and very risky, also, is his football particularly attractive? 

John Terry - People saying this is his first foray into management are forgetting that time he managed Chelsea from the bench to lead them to Champions League victory. Really though, he needs a coaching role and experience first. He probably knows that and isn't stupid enough to Tim Sherwood his way into management, damaging any reputation. 

Steve Bruce - He's so close to being perfect, right? I mean, he's such a likeable bloke, he's sorted out the dressing room, he's brought in great players for this league using his connections but his tactics are just to archaic. Did it work? Well, yeah it did actually - a lot of the time. Did it fail? Yeah it did! It's easy to say he was without this best players for a lot of the season in Terry, Grealish and arguably Kodjia, but his tactics have brought about failure. 

Sam Allardyce - Really, if hoofball is on the cards I'd really rather keep Steve. I don't subscribe to win percentages, but Sam's are particularly shocking. 

Oscar Garcia - I see Garcia's name pop up whenever there's a chance we may change manager, I've even floated it a few times. In my opinion he would come to us, after managing in the Championship before. I'll let him describe his style: "My obsession is to attack and to have the ball as many times as possible. If we have the ball, we will have many chances to score and to win. That’s my philosophy." 

That'll do for now in my thoughts. I think Bruce will stay for what it's worth. I can see Xia being talked into dreams of stability, contacts, dressing room, etc. But if he does go, I think Garcia, if given time, could be our Nuno, Jokanović, etc. You want sexy, stylish attacking football? A 'Villa Way'? Someone not in a job at the momentum? Who can build something to get up, stay up and push on? I think Garcia is that man for us. 

Very good and interesting post .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Paul Cook great shout.

Wigan play great stuff and he was also excellent at Portsmouth, they were gutted to lose him.

He did a brilliant job in Sligo here in Ireland as well and made them a power in the league while blooding young lads like Seamus Coleman

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Couldn't get Olympiakos to win games.. 

Bit unfair, they won about half of games under him in the three or so months he was there. He left when they were 6 points off the top, after the club had been given a 3 point deduction for fan violence. Shortly after he had to be taken to hospital after getting hit on the head... During fan violence. 

In terms of winning games though, given the circumstances, he didn't do overly bad. 

2 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Bit unfair, they won about half of games under him in the three or so months he was there. He left when they were 6 points off the top, after the club had been given a 3 point deduction for fan violence. Shortly after he had to be taken to hospital after getting hit on the head... During fan violence. 

In terms of winning games though, given the circumstances, he didn't do overly bad. 

It's one of the easiest jobs in football. Not hitting 50 percent with them in that league is poor. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

If xia thought RDM was the man how the  hell do you know what he’s thinking now .

Derby have already held talks with lampard over the managers job , gerrard got the rangers job , why is John terry such a non starter for consideration at a championship club he’s captained .

Well for starters i haven't said or claimed to have known what he is thinking. Also i dont know why you keep bringing up Gerrard getting a job and Lampard being in talks for one? You seem pretty convinced that this is a good idea based on absolutely nothing other than Terry was a good player and has played under some good managers.

3 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Well for starters i haven't said or claimed to have known what he is thinking. Also i dont know why you keep bringing up Gerrard getting a job and Lampard being in talks for one? You seem pretty convinced that this is a good idea based on absolutely nothing other than Terry was a good player and has played under some good managers.

There are several names been mentioned  who I’ve agreed and commented on , terry is just one worth consideration - I’ve mentioned gerrard once and lampard once -if you don’t like my opinion fine ;) 

3 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Its not that i dont like your opinion, its just that i dont agree with it. Its really not a big deal.

Fair enough - I’m open minded to a few suggestions worth consideration - terry is just one of those - I can see why it would be a risk , whoever we appoint it has to be right this time and get us up - Bruce has done an ok job but not not quite good enough .

we now need to bring some on the younger lads through and I’m not sure Bruce likes doing that unless his hand is forced - after all he let Tom cairney go as a youngster 

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's one of the easiest jobs in football. Not hitting 50 percent with them in that league is poor. 

Both Garcia and the two previous managers were sacked for having problems with the dressing room, which points more to a toxic team environment than the managers failing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

Garcia

Sacked from his last job due to ill discipline amongst the players if I recall

his record doesn’t look like a man who stays at a club for long .... so think he’d be a no for me 

I’m not totally against sticking with Bruce and if he does stay will get behind him - I’d like a decision made public sooner rather than later though as nobody has given an indication of his future - wyness refuses to comment when asked and Bruce has said he wants to stay but it’s up to those above him so had not been told himself on Saturday . 

‘Either way it’s a summer of upheaval and we need to crack on with things - pre season is only 6 weeks away .