New Manager Speculation

maqroll

I'm thinking im more in keeping bruce for another year. When i think about it. We have greatly improved on his first year and he he a smaller budget than the first year. I actually think bruce did better with a smaller budget than a big one.

Bruce is still one of the best in this league. Look how long Warnock was at Cardiff and they went up. I do think we need abit of stability and the one thing i do always think with bruce, he has never lost the trust of the players. They play for him speak highly of him and work for him. We also dont need more instability at this stage.

I think give bruce 5-6 games. If we start as shit as we did this year then give him the elbow. I think if we keep him he will do his upmost to get us up. I genuinely believe the loss hurt him and he will want to put it right. 

The more I think about Dean smith the more I think it could be a disaster.  This job is huge and I can't see him being strong enough to handle the pressure and the villa park crowd when its going wrong. Bruce is strong enough. My minds mind up.

Bruce in.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm thinking im more in keeping bruce for another year. When i think about it. We have greatly improved on his first year and he he a smaller budget than the first year. I actually think bruce did better with a smaller budget than a big one.

Bruce is still one of the best in this league. Look how long Warnock was at Cardiff and they went up. I do think we need abit of stability and the one thing i do always think with bruce, he has never lost the trust of the players. They play for him speak highly of him and work for him. We also dont need more instability at this stage.

I think give bruce 5-6 games. If we start as shit as we did this year then give him the elbow. I think if we keep him he will do his upmost to get us up. I genuinely believe the loss hurt him and he will want to put it right. 

The more I think about Dean smith the more I think it could be a disaster.  This job is huge and I can't see him being strong enough to handle the pressure and the villa park crowd when its going wrong. Bruce is strong enough. My minds mind up.

Bruce in.

Agree on smith - I think after 12 games we would be scratching our heads wondering why we appointing a man who had done nothing but get mid table finishes at very small clubs. He also isn't involved in the purchasing of players at Brentford. I think he would be a disaster.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce in.

Warnock took over Cardiff at the same time as Bruce took the villa job .

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agree on smith - I think after 12 games we would be scratching our heads wondering why we appointing a man who had done nothing but get mid table finishes at very small clubs. He also isn't involved in the purchasing of players at Brentford. I think he would be a disaster.

And his teams only ever seem to be really up for it against Villa even though hes a supposedly villa fan.  Just don’t understand the love in for him being our manager 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You have that much faith in the guy you want to give him only another 5-6 games of a 46 games season to prove he can get us promoted? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce in.

Not for me.  He had a smaller budget for fees, but not for wages (I presume, but not certain).  Bringing in and paying wages for Terry, Whelan, Samba, Snodgrass, Grabban, Onomah, Tuanzebe is not a small budget at all, and I imagine nowhere near as small as it will be next season.

Warnock took over at a very similar time, with Cardiff well below us in the league.

I acknowledge the things he's done well, I just don't see how he will perform better next season under more difficult circumstances.

Re Smith - maybe a fair point, as well as the one others have made about the whole set up at Brentford.  I'm hoping the club have a good succession plan (at any time) with a list which has been thoroughly due-diligenced!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So basically waste the beginning of the season again. ?

I'm not saying that is what would necessarily happen, but i can't sign up to that logic.

The other flaw is you then bring in a boss who misses out on the transfer window to mold his own squad 

• Like 2

Daily Star thinks we (Leeds) are looking at having Steve Bruce as manager, pretty terrifying ?

Then again cant be worse then WhatTheHeck.

10 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Daily Star thinks we (Leeds) are looking at having Steve Bruce as manager, pretty terrifying ?

Then again cant be worse then WhatTheHeck.

Just seen that, so what would the general consensus amongst your fans be?

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just seen that, so what would the general consensus amongst your fans be?

Probably nonsense.

Some wouldn't mind. Look at his record of promotions and the fact it means hecky who is unbelievably unpopular would be gone.

But largely negative id expect, old fashioned English manager, ex Manchester player etc.

Cant see it.

18 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Is the story online ?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/28/report-leeds-monitoring-aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce/

Report: Leeds monitoring Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce

Leeds United could reportedly consider a move for Steve Bruce amid uncertainty over his Aston Villa future.

Steve Bruce, Manager of Aston Villa looks dejected during the Sky Bet Championship Play Off Final between Aston Villa and  Fulham at Wembley Stadium on May 26, 2018 in London, England.

According to a report from the Daily Star, Leeds are monitoring Steve Bruce's situation at Aston Villa as the club continue to consider Paul Heckingbottom's Elland Road future after a difficult start to his tenure.

Heckingbottom was appointed ahead of the final months of this past season, and while he did not get a transfer window to make changes and arrived when the squad had no momentum remaining, he has come in for a lot of criticism from the Whites supporters having overseen just four wins at the helm.

Leeds Manager Paul Heckingbottom looks on prior to the Sky Bet Championship match between Aston Villa and Leeds United at Villa Park on April 13, 2018 in Birmingham, England.

The Daily Star reports that Heckingbottom's future with Leeds is now in doubt after talks with Andrea Radrizzani and other names are reportedly being considered by the Whites chairman.

Claudio Ranieri and Michael Laudrup have been linked, but the Daily Star is now reporting that Leeds have their eye on Bruce - who is coming to terms with the Villans' play-off final defeat at Wembley on Saturday.

Bruce has so far been unable to deliver Villa back to the Premier League, but does have a proven track record for taking teams out of the second tier, with the 57-year-old winning promotion on four occasions during his managerial career.

Steve Bruce, Manager of Aston Villa reacts during the Sky Bet Championship Play Off Final between Aston Villa and  Fulham at Wembley Stadium on May 26, 2018 in London, England.

As reported by BBC Sport, Bruce is keen to stay at Villa Park and have another go at taking them up next season, but the pressures of Financial Fair Play are likely to make his job extremely difficult. Having often struggled to win over all of the fans during his time with the club, it is perhaps also possible that there will be several supporters who will be urging owner Tony Xia to make a change this summer.

SEE ALSO: Leeds shouldn't hesitate responding as PL side make bid for ace

But if he does go, perhaps Leeds may be tempted to offer Bruce an immediate opportunity to possibly land that fifth promotion of his managerial career.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

And his teams only ever seem to be really up for it against Villa even though hes a supposedly villa fan.  Just don’t understand the love in for him being our manager 

So Brentford finished 9th but his team “only ever seem to be really up for it” against us? ?

Edited by fifamad

Smith couldn’t handle  a big, troubled club like Villa.

I have no problem with the board sacking Bruce if a credible replacement is available but if the best people can come up with is Dean Smith, let’s keep Bruce!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

Dean Smith - Brentford are doing well, sure, but that's their system. They have a number of coaches, psychologists, strategists, etc that have been there ages. When a manager goes, a new one slots in. It's easy to want Smith based on how Brentford play football, but how much is Dean Smith, how much is the pre-existing set up? (I seem to remember everyone wanting Warburton from Brentford around that era). 

Lee Johnson - I have the distinct pleasure of living near Bristol. The general consensus is that they want Johnson out and question his game management. Very inexperienced and very risky, also, is his football particularly attractive? 

John Terry - People saying this is his first foray into management are forgetting that time he managed Chelsea from the bench to lead them to Champions League victory. Really though, he needs a coaching role and experience first. He probably knows that and isn't stupid enough to Tim Sherwood his way into management, damaging any reputation. 

Steve Bruce - He's so close to being perfect, right? I mean, he's such a likeable bloke, he's sorted out the dressing room, he's brought in great players for this league using his connections but his tactics are just to archaic. Did it work? Well, yeah it did actually - a lot of the time. Did it fail? Yeah it did! It's easy to say he was without this best players for a lot of the season in Terry, Grealish and arguably Kodjia, but his tactics have brought about failure. 

Sam Allardyce - Really, if hoofball is on the cards I'd really rather keep Steve. I don't subscribe to win percentages, but Sam's are particularly shocking. 

Oscar Garcia - I see Garcia's name pop up whenever there's a chance we may change manager, I've even floated it a few times. In my opinion he would come to us, after managing in the Championship before. I'll let him describe his style: "My obsession is to attack and to have the ball as many times as possible. If we have the ball, we will have many chances to score and to win. That’s my philosophy." 

That'll do for now in my thoughts. I think Bruce will stay for what it's worth. I can see Xia being talked into dreams of stability, contacts, dressing room, etc. But if he does go, I think Garcia, if given time, could be our Nuno, Jokanović, etc. You want sexy, stylish attacking football? A 'Villa Way'? Someone not in a job at the momentum? Who can build something to get up, stay up and pish on? I think Garcia is that man for us. 

I'd love someone with the passion of a Mellberg. Keep Agnew, who seemed to have us playing better when he arrived, probably until Bruce ticked him off, for being far too adventurous. I think the reason he left Boro was because he was dismayed at pullis's approach to how the game should be played. We can't have another season of that dire crap. The disappointment of Saturday was just horrible, I mean, really, really horrible. Please let's find someone who has the belief and confidence to allow his team to play , in a way,  that put's a smile on your face.

He's out there somewhere, trust me.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Smith couldn’t handle  a big, troubled club like Villa.

I have no problem with the board sacking Bruce if a credible replacement is available but if the best people can come up with is Dean Smith, let’s keep Bruce!

" A big troubled club like Villa " ? I thought Bruce had sorted all that out.

The spirit was now fine, I was led to believe. I've been hoodwinked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm not saying that is what would necessarily happen, but i can't sign up to that logic.

He isn't taking us up. I can just feel it in my bones, I wish I could express it more deeply. Where's grasshopper when you need him ?

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Of course you don’t know if that will happen. So what do we do sack him if he loses 2 or three games? That would be ridiculous