New Manager Speculation

maqroll

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I have no problem with the board sacking Bruce if a credible replacement is available but if the best people can come up with is Dean Smith, let’s keep Bruce!

This is where I'm at.

No problem with Bruce going. but not for the sake of it. We need to have a good replacement identified to take over.

I personally think we'd be better off with Bruce than Smith. But acknowledge there's likely to be better options than both.
I hope we find one.

• Like 1

Following a quick google, here are a few out-of-work candidates:

Vincenzo Montella: Had a short stint with Sevilla, after managing AC Milan for 16 months. Before that, Sampdoria and Fiorentina. He has an average of 1.61 points per game, which isn’t amazing. However he did better at AC and Fiorentina, getting 1.75/1.8 per game. Being an Italian, he could possibly get the best out of Gollini?

Mauricio Pellegrini: Failed spectacularly at Southampton, but looked a decent manager before them. He has an average of 1.52 ppg, previously managing Alaves, Independiente (where he achieved his best ppg of 1.84), Estudiantes, Valencia and Inter.

Eduardo Berizzo: Another of Sevilla’s former managers. He only lasted there 4 months, getting 1.78 points per game. He managed Celta Vigo and the Uruguayan team ‘O’Higgins’ before them, getting 1.48 & 1.78 ppg respectively.

Slaven Bilic: He’s had 6 months out of football since West Ham got shot of him, so maybe he’s ready for a new challenge. He had them playing fantastically for one season, then tailed off. An average of 1.7 points per game. His best ppg was at Croatia where he achieved 2.13 points per game.

Frank De Boer: Did terrible at Palace and Inter, but had 6 good years at Ajax. Worth a risk? He’d command respect. But also I remember people saying he was a bit doolally. I think he’d be another Di Matteo.

Marco Silva: A theme is emerging. Silva did poorly in England when managing Watford and Hull (1.12 & 1.23 ppg), but did well at Olympiacos and Sporting before them.

Nicolás Frutos: An Argentinian who has managed 4 senior games. I only included him so I could type the fancy ‘a’ with an accent over the top.

Hannes Wolf: A 37 year old German (obviously, with a name like Wolf), he managed Stuttgart for a season and a half, achieving 1.6 ppg, after managing the Dortmund B Team, U19 Team and U17 Team, all with a decent record. His downside is that he apparently likes to play a 3-4-2-1!

Oscar Garcia: Mentioned earlier in the thread by Sam, he lasted 13 games at Olympiacos and 13 games at Saint-Etienne before that. Inbetween these stints and his 4-game stay at Watford, he had his best spell as manager, achieving a 2.26 ppg average, overseeing 73 games at RB Salzburg.

Urs Fischer: A 52-year-old Swiss man with spiky hair who plays a 4-2-3-1. Had a respectable 2 year spell at Basel, achieving 2.02 ppg. Before Basel he managed FC Thun for 112 games, Zurich for 83 and Zurich U21 for 53 games. His ppg average through his career has never been below 1.5.

Thomas Christiansen: Remember him? He left Leeds in February, after achieving 1.51 ppg. Before this he managed APOEL Nicosia for 52 games, getting 1.98 ppg. Before APOEL he managed AEK Larnaca for 68 games, getting 1.97 ppg. My terrible knowledge of managers is giving me the idea that he’s only good at tinpot clubs. (So why did he fail with Leeds, AMIRITE?!)

Ian Holloway: I don’t know who he is. But his name rings a bell. I think he used to be famous.

Sergi Rebrov: A crazy Ukrainian might not be the best fit for our fragile team, his record is quite decent though (despite not managing at great levels). He’s managed Ahli for 34 games, getting 2.08 ppg. Prior to this he managed Dynamo Kiev for 137 games, getting 2.2 ppg. He was also assistant manager at Kiev for over 150 games and assistant for Ukraine for 8 games.

Marcelo Bielsa: He’s experienced, managing Lille, Marseille, Bilbao, Chile and Argentina. He also had that 2-day spell at Lazio. I think they call that a ‘one night stand’. He probably robbed a couple of mousemats and darted for the exit. He has an average ppg average of 1.57, but did terribly at Lille, getting 1.07 ppg in 14 matches.

Mark Warburton: Did well at Brentford and Rangers, then did shite at Forest. Just the wrong fit at Forest perhaps? He has an average of 1.85 ppg in his managerial career, despite his poor spell at Forest.

Murat Yakin: I saw his name mentioned the last time we were flirting for a new piece. He has a lot of experience for a young(ish) 43-year-old. He’s managed Grasshoppers, Schaffhausen, Spartak Moskow, Basel, Luzern, Thun, blah blah blah. His best ppg was 2.33 in his 24 games at Shafthousing and 1.99 in his 99 games at Basel.

Valérian Ismaël: He looks like another excuse to use fancy letters, but actually his record is decent. He’s 42 and has managed at Wolfsburg, Nuremberg and Hannover. Looking deeper into his stats, I see that his better periods have actually been for the Wolfsburg B team, where he got 2.04 and 2.08 ppg in two different spells. At senior level his record is about as good as Pardew’s baggies.

Then of course there’s the usual names: Big Sam, David Moyes, Paul La- no, I’m not even going there, Mick McCarthy, Martin Jol, Alan Pardew, Alan Curbishly and Kevin Keegan mkIIII.

Disclaimer: I have very little knowledge of these managers, and have posted them just to inspire a bit of debate, or maybe give someone an interesting read. One of them might have pulled a gun on a swan for all I know. Just leave me alone alright?! That took me ages.

Edited by Rob182
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 4

If we are looking at current Championship managers Wilder at Shef United is worth a look , been successful and 3 clubs and despite only coming up this year they almost made the play offs .Play decent attacking football too ..Shef his home club though so likely not to want to leave at this point in time

Flores Former Watford boss did decent job there and previous to that in Spain with Althetico Madrid was odds of to take the Stoke job  but turned down last minute to stay at Espanyol who sacked him after a poor run of no wins in 5 and no goals scored 

Nathan Jones Luton coach highly regarded ( was linked with us when RDM left if I recall ) got Luton promoted in a free scoring fashion but could be too early for him to make the jump and with Luton promoted and new Ground coming he may think he is better staying put 

Big Sam Exciting free flowing football ,..unlikely but gets results saved numerous clubs from Relegation ( see Sunderlands slide since he departed ) and steady ship at Everton who were shambolic at the end of Koeman's Reign. Knows to embrace new technologies to get the best from his players but likely to not come cheap and again your basically looking at the rich mans Warnock for style of play 

Derek Mcinnes Pushed Celtic fairly hard for league title 2 years running despite being far less funded and has won the League Cup in Scotland.Unlikely to dethrone Celtic anytime soon and Rangers will get it right sooner or later so no much more he can do with Aberdeen now so could be looking for new challenge.Recently turned down Sunderland IIRC 

Just few suggestions 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Following a quick google, here are a few out-of-work candidates:

Vincenzo Montella: Had a short stint with Sevilla, after managing AC Milan for 16 months. Before that, Sampdoria and Fiorentina. He has an average of 1.61 points per game, which isn’t amazing. However he did better at AC and Fiorentina, getting 1.75/1.8 per game. Being an Italian, he could possibly get the best out of Gollini?

Mauricio Pellegrini: Failed spectacularly at Southampton, but looked a decent manager before them. He has an average of 1.52 ppg, preciously managing Alaves, Independiente (where he achieved his best ppg of 1.84), Estudiantes, Valencia and Inter.

Eduardo Berizzo: Another if Sevilla’s former managers. He only lasted there 4 months, getting 1.78 points per game. He managed Celta Vigo and the Uruguayan team O’Higgins before them, getting 1.48 & 1.78 ppg respectively.

Slaven Bilic: He’s had 6 months out of football since West Ham got shot of him, so maybe he’s ready for a new challenge. He had them playing fantastically for one season, then tailed off. An average of 1.7 points per game. His best ppg was at Croatia where he achieved 2.13 points per game.

Frank De Boer: Did terrible at Palace and Inter, but had 6 good years at Ajax. Worth a risk? He’d command respect. But also I remmeber people saying he was a bit doolally.

Marco Silva: A theme is emerging. Silva did poorly in England when managing Watford and Hull (1.12 & 1.23 ppg), but Rdid well at Olympiacos and Sporting before them.

Nicolás Frutos: An Argentinian who has managed 4 senior games. I only included him so I could type the fancy a with the accent over the top.

Hannes Wolf: A 37 year old German (obviously, with a name like Wolf), he managed Stuttgart for a season and a half, achieving 1.6 ppg, after managing the Dortmund B Team, U19 Team and U17 Team, all with a decent record. His downside is that he apparently likes to play a 3-4-2-1!

Oscar Garcia: Mentioned earlier in the thread by Sam, he lasted 13 games at Olympiacos and 13 games at Saint-Etienne before that. Inbetween these stints and his 4-game stay at Watford, he had his best spell as manager, achieving a 2.26 ppg average, overseeing 73 games at RB Salzburg.

Urs Fischer: A 52-year-old Swiss man with spiky hair who plays a 4-2-3-1. Has a respectable 2 year spell at Basel, achieving 2.02 ppg. Before Basel he managed FC Thun for 112 games, Zurich for 83 and Zurich U21 for 53 games. His ppg average through his career has never been below 1.5.

Thomas Christiansen: Remember him? He left Leeds in February, after achieving 1.51 ppg. Before this he managed APOEL Nicosia for 52 games, getting 1.98 ppg. Before APOEL he managed AEK Larnaca for 68 games, getting 1.97 ppg. My terrible knowledge of managers is giving me the idea that he’s only good at tinpot clubs. (So why did he fail with Leeds, AMIRITE?!)

Ian Holloway: I don’t know who he is. But his name rings a bell. I think he used to be famous.

Sergi Rebrov: A crazy Ukrainian might not be the best fit for our fragile team, his record is quite decent though (despite not managing at great levels). He’s managed Ahli for 34 games, getting 2.08 ppg. Prior to this he managed Dynamo Kiev for 137 games, getting 2.2 ppg. He was also assistant manager at Kiev for over 150 games and assistant for Ukraine for 8 games.

Marcelo Bielsa: He’s experienced, managing Lille, Marseille, Bilbao, Chile and Argentina. He also had that 2-day spell at Lazio. I think they call that a ‘one night stand’. He probably robbed a couple of mousemats and darted for the exit. He has an average ppg average of 1.57, but did terribly at Lille, getting 1.07 ppg in 14 matches.

Mark Warburton: Did well at Brentford and Rangers, then did shite at Forest. Just the wrong fit at Forest perhaps? He has an average of 1.85 ppg, despite his spell at Forest.

Murat Yakin: I saw his name mentioned the last time we were flirting for a new piece. He has a lot of experience for a young(ish) 43-year-old. He’s managed Grasshoppers, Schaffhausen, Spartak Moskow, Basel, Luzern, Thun, blah blah blah. His best ppg was 2.33 in his 24 games at Shafthousing and 1.99 in his 99 games at Basel.

Valérian Ismaël: He looks like another excuse to use fancy letters, but actually his record is decent. He’s 42 and has managed at Wolfsburg, Nuremberg and Hannover. Looking deeper into his stats, I see that his better periods have actually been for the Wolfsburg B team, where he got 2.04 and 2.08 ppg in two different spells. At senior level his record is about as good as Pardew’s baggies.

Then of course there’s the usual names: Big Sam, David Moyes, Paul La- no, I’m not even going there, Mick McCarthy, Martin Jol, Alan Pardew, Alan Curbishly and Kevin Keegan mkIIII.

Disclaimer: I have very little knowledge of these managers, and have posted them just to inspire a bit of debate, or maybe give someone an interesting read. One of them might have pulled a gun on a swan for all I know. Just leave me alone alright?! That took me ages.

Silva likely to sign at Everton , they still sorting compo with Watford 

• Like 1

http://sportwitness.co.uk/former-inter-milan-boss-talks-aston-villa-bruce-shown-door/

Former Inter Milan boss said to be in talks with Aston Villa, Steve Bruce could be shown door
By Sport Witness -

29th May 2018

According to a claim in the Italian media, Andrea Stramaccioni is in talks with Aston Villa over the manager’s job at Villa Park.

The former Inter Milan boss is currently without a job after being sacked by Sparta Prague last season.

TMW report Aston Villa have held talks in the past few hours with regards to replacing Steve Bruce. It’s reported Bruce could leave Aston Villa after failing to get into the Premier League via the playoffs.

Last weekend the West Midlands club lost their playoff final to Fulham and will subsequently spend another season in the Championship, causing a strain on the finances at Villa Park.

It’s claimed Stramaccioni is another option to Brentford manager Dean Smith, with the latter having West Brom links.

Stramaccioni spent just one season at Inter Milan before moving on to fellow Serie A club Udinese. The 42 year old also had a spell with Panathinaikos before heading to the Czech Republic last summer.

2 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/former-inter-milan-boss-talks-aston-villa-bruce-shown-door/

Former Inter Milan boss said to be in talks with Aston Villa, Steve Bruce could be shown door
By Sport Witness -

29th May 2018

According to a claim in the Italian media, Andrea Stramaccioni is in talks with Aston Villa over the manager’s job at Villa Park.

The former Inter Milan boss is currently without a job after being sacked by Sparta Prague last season.

TMW report Aston Villa have held talks in the past few hours with regards to replacing Steve Bruce. It’s reported Bruce could leave Aston Villa after failing to get into the Premier League via the playoffs.

Last weekend the West Midlands club lost their playoff final to Fulham and will subsequently spend another season in the Championship, causing a strain on the finances at Villa Park.

It’s claimed Stramaccioni is another option to Brentford manager Dean Smith, with the latter having West Brom links.

Stramaccioni spent just one season at Inter Milan before moving on to fellow Serie A club Udinese. The 42 year old also had a spell with Panathinaikos before heading to the Czech Republic last summer.

So a failed manager in every job he has been in would be of interest ahead of bruce? What utter rubbish that article is

• Like 1

I see Ipswich are sniffing around Paul Hurst, I've seen a few Shrewsbury town games this season (my local team) and they are a very very pleasing on the eye, young attacking team, they bottled it on Sunday but Rotherham are a championship side in fairness. Wouldn't be averse to a young unproven manager now the Steve Bruce experiment has failed.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seen something about Gareth Ainsworth being talked to, Wycombe Wanderers manager?

Could someone shed some light as I know nothing about him.

Isn't he taking over at Salford? I might be wrong.

We’ve only got a small window here to do something. We need to have next seasons manager in place very soon. This summer will be very tough. The only reason i could envisage keeping Bruce is to keep the continuity going and not having much disruption but then I thinks back at how we started last year. How many woeful games we had with a top class squad. The negativive approproaches to so many games and think he has to go this week. The job maybe to big for Dean Smith but I’d back him. I’d also be looking at the likes of Oscar Garcia and Marco Silva. The latter looks likely to go to Everton but at the minute those are available so we could talk without any worries. We need a manager that will introduce our youth and get some us playing fast attacking football. If we get that then not getting promotion next year won’t be the end of the world. If we stick with Bruce it’ll the same as this year and next summer we could be in a far worse place. 

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Keep Agnew, who seemed to have us playing better when he arrived, probably until Bruce ticked him off, for being far too adventurous. 

Are you for real with this?

Really has Bruce killed one of your family?

Yes he hasn’t got us up, but these types are comments really are far too fetched

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Are you for real with this?

Really has Bruce killed one of your family?

Yes he hasn’t got us up, but these types are comments really are far too fetched

Your right, " far too fetched ". He's  a wonderful manager , which was evident from the scintillating football we played on Saturday.

Forgive me. Not.